Getting first bike, ever. Need some advice

P&R

Sep 8, 2004
Hey all.

I am new to bikes, and need some advice. I am 5'11", 175 lbs with no riding experience. I am wanting to get a first bike. I have never even ridden a motorized bike, and this bike will be used to learn on as well as enjoy, once I get the hang of it.

I live on an airport and it will be used as a "runabout" to tool around the airport. No dirt, no trails, no mx, no jumps, no racing, nothing. 99% pavement and 1% nice, flat fields with grass no taller than your shins. I don't need the "latest and greatest", just something to learn on and get around on.

I am skilled at fixing things, so I am not worried about maintenance, plus I hear that dirtbikes are pretty simple beasts anyway. I heard that 2-strokes are cheaper to work on than 4-strokes. Is it just parts or what?

A friend recommended a Honda 250 4-stroke, as it would fit for my "light-duty" needs and still be capable if I ever wanted to take it to the woods. I can't spend more than $1000-$1200, so my choices are limited. Would a 125 be cheaper and still work? An older bike is perfectly fine as long as it is in good shape, but I hear that dirtbikes are run hard from day one, so finding a solid, older model is well nigh impossible.

What about converting it to Enduro-specs down the road?

I read back through 10 pages of threads and nothing really addressed my questions.

Thanks for your time.

Edited to add: I hear about bikes with nasty, abrupt power curves that don't make any power unless you rev the piss out of them. I want something than can pull on the whole rev range, particularly the lower end and is docile. Since I'm a beginner, maybe something slightly underpowered would be nice. I do NOT want the bike coming out from under me and me getting hurt.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
sounds like you probably don't want an MX bike... check out the full size trail bikes such as Honda XR's (250 or 450 for your size and uses) or Yamaha WR's.. they are 4-strokes, but don't worry too much about the maintenance unless you are going to ride them pretty hard. They are pretty tough machines.

The Honda XR's have been around a long time and are pretty popular, there should be some decent priced used ones out there. If your set on a 2-stroke I would suggest a KDX for the money you're talking.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I agree with Roost. I would search around for a XR250 or XR400. There are a ton of them around and they are bullet proof. They will also grow with you and be capable of chasing those durn pesky rabbits that sometimes get on the tarmac. :debil:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The XRs seem to fit the bill but can a nice one be had in his price range?

What about a KDX? Smooth power. Two stroke simplicity. Probably a bit less money. VERY popular.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I think the KDX is a good bet also, but the power can get away from you even without any mods, so you will need to be careful...the maintenance is cheap though and you can do practically all of it yourself. (Please note that the KDX power isn't as abrupt as most off-road bikes, so you can easily control things on a KDX.) For your goals and your price range, I think a used KDX is probably your best bet. You can do simple trail riding or hard racing, the bike is agreeable for both. And there are lots of mods you can do if you choose too...the choice is up to you.

The WRs are likely WAY more bike than you want, and there are lots of threads on this forum that discuss how expensive 4-stroke maintenance can be. 4-strokers may disagree with that, but that's my $0.02.

And yes, absolutely plan on safety gear, don't scrimp there!

P&R

Sep 8, 2004
The Honda XR250 is exactly what my buddy recommended. I'll also check out that KDX if the maintenance is easier and it's cheaper.

Now how does the 2-stroke compare to a 4-stroke for "drivability"? I heard you have to keep a 2-stroke in it's sweet spot, which can be narrow, but a 4-stroke has a broader, easier power band.

As far as safety gear, I have a helmet and a nearly full set of leathers, which should be ok for a pavement bike. If I ever go trail-riding though, what is a good amount of gear to start?

burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
Honda used to have a bike called a XL and they where a true duel purpose bike. I would be surprised if one couldn't be found for that kind of money.

Top Bottom