adam728

Aug 16, 2004
To the top!

I was doing good, about a week after my last post I made it back "home" for the first time this year and a lot of people noticed I lost some weight.

Unfortunatly since the beginning of May I have been living on the road and I feel like I gained it all back. I have been trying to run as often as possible, but it's only like twice a week, as I'm working some crazy hours. When you leave the hotel at 5 am and get back at 9-10 pm you don't really feel like running. Eating healthy is tough too, although I've got a fridge in the hotel room and have been stocking it with good stuff.

The worst part about all this? Since I never see the light of day my tan is gone. :(

MXWRENCH

Jun 15, 2006
It Hurts !!

After 6 years out of the saddle I bought a YZ250 and started riding again. Goodness me !! i could barely drive home the first time, every time since (3) my body have been as stiff as an ironing board for days after. I am not riding over my head or triying to hang with the faster riders. Riding at my own pace has been great.

This column has inspired me to get back into shape (same old story - met girlfriend when I was at my all time best, lean, fit and strong - then along comes the love tummy) I find it difficult to get inspiration from mens magazines becuase they are mostly about appearance (they do have good content for nutrition etc.) all I want to do is hang on for a 30 minute moto.

To cut a long story short, its back on the food watch and regular excercise. I going to set some targets this weekend and hopefully in a month or two will be able to report back with some decent results.

Good luck to all out there with similar goals & thanks for the great reading !!

Keep it real :)

jrwhite

Jun 27, 2006
i'd like to get back in shape, not in too bad of shape right now but i feel you guys on the love tummy. women, see what they do? i'm not gonna lie and say i'm gonna start running, cause i probably won't, but i do plan on riding my 20" bike more often. eventually building a small dirt track in the backyard, and i figure if i hit the track on the bike several times a week my abs, legs, and cardio will be up to par in no time. plus it won't be boring like running. and i'm not the healthy eat of the year, but i try to cut out as much junk and bad food that i can. hell i used to eat fast food every day, now maybe once a month if that.

what do you guys think?

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
Hey - I traveled for 10 plus years - eating road food is tuff - stayed w/ salads and beer, but now I'm in the office and home every night - even worse now - no HIExpress exercise room and all the food in the house - all meals are a cut in half and trying to snack on veggies and fruit only - and age doesn't help.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Well I kind of fell off the excercise bandwagon for a while - but I started again this week.

I've been getting up at 5:30 a.m. to walk the dog, which takes 30 minutes, then doing crunches and reverse crunches, and lifting some weights. All in all takes about 45 minutes. After only 3 days I already feel better! I'm not giving up this time!

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
I haven't skateboarded for 25 years and thought skim boarding at the shore last week couldn't be that much different - fall down a lot. Did it for three days before the pain started. I'm sore and stiff still, but I feel better. I'm too old to play in pain but came to the realization that I have to play in the "awareness or discomfort" zone.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Okay guys - I dropped off the bandwagon for a while since Rooster and I were moving. But, we're all settled in now, and I'm settled into my new routine of work, school, and new place to live.

I've worked 3 each hour long workouts a week of Tae Bo into my schedule - Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday (days I don't have classes).

I've got to keep up the motivation since I'll be sitting around for many hours a day between work and studying!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Well I have good news...I gained 8 pounds back. :cool: And to make it even better I am way out of shape and get picked on when I have to stop and rest :bang:

Time to get back in shape :nod:

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
bordrshane said:
I also traded in my 250f for a 125, so I gotta get back down to about 170lbs.

I'm 44, 5' 6" and 170 lbs. I'm not fat but I have a big barrel chest and chunky thighs. I do have to watch my weight and I would like to get down to 160 but this is going to require some serious work.

My 125 is what keeps me in shape. The thing is so demanding and demands such precision and control to ride fast that I have to stay in shape to keep on top of it. Aside from riding, which will in itself help get you in shape, I ride my mountain bike outdoors and work on the Nordic Track, elliptical, and station. bike indoors. For MX, it's real important to do interval training, esp. on the bike. I pick out a point about 100 yd away and ride as hard and fast as I can to that point, then cruise again. I've found a heart rate monitor to be a BIG encouragement. At 44, I can ride for an hour at 145-150 bpm, and I've hit 165 for short intervals.

I also do Tae-Bo several times a week and have found this to REALLY help my balance, agility, and flexibility. Prior to starting on Tae-Bo, I couldn't hardly stand on 1 foot, now I can do high kicks while standing on 1 foot. I tie 10 lb weights to a pair of old handlebars and "ride the whoops"- have found this to help my upper body a lot. I do some variation on all these exercises 3-4 times a week and ride 1-2x. I am not a natural athlete by any means and doing these kind of exercises has really helped me.

I definitely watch is what I eat. I do best when I have an egg-based breakfast (protein) with yogurt and fruit. I eat whatever I want for lunch. Supper is a good salad (red and green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, sprouts, etc) with chicken or beef topping. Soft drinks, candy, ice cream, etc are all rare treats and every time I have some I think "Okay, bub, that's 20 minutes on the Nordic Track down the drain".

I honestly think I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. In fact, I recently got a discount on my health insurance because I passed my physical with flying colors.

And all because I have a 125! :nod:

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
Update - my doctor ok'd me to exercise again. Two months ago at the shore I played like a kid again. The following weekend at a picnic playing wiffle ball put me over the edge - couldn't walk the next day - Achilles tendon. Lots of rest and stretching - I'm ok to start cycling for cardio - can do yoga and tai chi again too - another month or two before I start pounding on that foot again.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I've been doing great with the Tae Bo - I can do a good percentage of the 55 minute video straight through.

Went country line dancing tonight - talk about cardio! I can still tell that I just quit smoking a couple of months ago - I definitely need to get some more hard core cardio in and really work those lungs!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
squeaky said:
I can still tell that I just quit smoking a couple of months ago - I definitely need to get some more hard core cardio in and really work those lungs!
Try breathing in through your nose and exhale through your mouth, supposedly it helps you get more oxygen.. Give your lungs some time, they will heal.. I smoked for about 20 years and rarely get winded anymore :cool:

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
Yeah, I need to lose weight, from since I registered for this forum I weighed like 180ish and I have just become lazy and didn't really do anything for while and gained 30 pounds by July, I went on a scale and saw that I was 210, I was just like :ohmy: whoa, what happened here? I didn't even know if that was possible to gain that much in like 4 1/2 months. Then I got in an accident, and just sat around and ate and gained another 18lbs. So now I way 228 I'm not that tall either, I'm like 5'9" so:ohmy: :| :pissed: I seriously don't even know how that is possible, I'm seriously :pissed:

Any good advice to lose like 5lbs a week? I really need it.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I don't know about 5 pounds per week, But if you drink a lot of sodas, switch to water ( I hated it at first, but found the Dasani flavored stuff to ease the transition). There are a lot of calories to be saved that way. Also, spend 20-30 minutes per day briskly walking or jogging. Start slow and be patient. When it comes time to cut your grass, use a push mower. I hit 205 last winter, cut the sodas and made it down to around 195 by July, not I hit the gym 4-5 day a week (30 hard minutes on the treadmill then 20-30 on weights) Now I am nearing the 180lb mark.

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to switch soda with water and chips with nutrigrain bars that my mom always buys, and eat more fruit. I started walking 20min on the treadmill before I go to school, and for some reason I feel good for the rest of the day. No progress on my weight yet but I'm sure I'll start dropping the pounds pretty quick. :cool:

Josherichy

Sep 23, 2006
If you want to get in shape for racing i like to use an elliptical this works your whole body. it also helps eliminate arm pump. I like to go no it for at least 40 min every day and when a race comes up, twice a day 40 min each time

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Okay boys and girls - it's a new year and it's time for a new me! I fell off the bandwagon big time with this one. Well, I'm going tonight to sign up at the gym and my goal is to go 3x a week.

I gained 3 pounds over the holidays :yikes: - which is just enough for my pants to feel a bit too tight. Plus I just feel like crap all around - I am OUT of shape. Time to get into shape before riding season!

Who's with me?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
three whole pounds, sheesh!

I think I could cut off a toe and lose that.

I'm workin' it too. It's time to get a few more biscuits under 300

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I gained 14 lbs since Summer and have started working on it again. I wish I had kept a better handle on my weight but I saw it go up a few pounds every week or so and figured--that's not too much--until I am where I am now. At least I didn't gain all 25 pounds back!!!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Wow, this post has been going a while.

I quit excersizing a while back, moved to Arizona and my work schedule got stupid for a while. Always at some customer, so my normal daily commute is about 100 miles each way (in a lifted Jeep none-the-less). Add that to anywhere from a 10-14 hour work day (salary of course) and I have trouble finding time to sleep, let alone work out. I'm making a strong effort to not work myself to death now, and hopefully I can be home by 8pm on most nights and go run/bike.

I have been very active on weekends, riding, biking, hiking, camping and whatever else. Got to see my gf over Christmas and she thinks I lost some belly and gained some muscle, so that's a good thing. I know it's a lot easier loading my KDX by myself, so I can tell a difference. She's biking and eating good, so she's shed about 15 pounds of the weight she gained after 2 knee surgeries, so that's real good. Of course, it means I have some catching up to do.

Last time I was "home" was July, 177 pounds. I got back for Christmas and was 181, then 183. I got deathly sick last week and in 2 days dropped to 176, all water weight of course. Now I probably won't step on a scale again till April when I get home again.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Well good luck Adam! Keep with it!

I hear ya on the stupid schedules - luckily I work a normal 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. schedule, but then I go to school (night classes) on top of that. So, it's difficult for me to find time.

I read an article somewhere that said "Schedule your workout like you'd schedule a meeting with a superior at work or a date, so that you don't cancel it. Don't put your needs last." I really like that idea - so i'm going to put my workouts in my calendar at work and not schedule anything else around that time!

The gym I joined is 6 miles from my office, too, so that definitely helps. I start tonight - wish me luck!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Consider scheduling you workout for the mornings, before you go to work, that way you won't be so exhausted from you day that you would rather just have a beer and veg out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom