Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Let's say, hypothetically, that my new interest in life were to be photography.

And, also hypothetically, I knew absolutely nothing about shutter speeds, lenses, or really anything for that matter..

And I also didn't have a camera at all.

How would you suggest one get started in the world of photography?
What would you suggest for a nice, entry-level dSLR camera for under $1,000? (with a lense)
Are there any good forums/websites with tips, advice, general knowledge that I could surf around on that you would recommend?

I'm not really looking to do anything for money, or even really get too terribly involved with it. But, after traveling across the country a few times this month I found that I would really love to have a nice camera at hand and know how to use it more often than not.

Austin.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'm a Nikon guy so I'm not familiar enough with Canon stuff to be much help with those type of specifics. There are plenty of Canon shooters out here that can help though.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
For any shooting you can not go wrong with the Canon Rebel lineup when you consider the price. I have the origonal Rebel digital and the XTI and both perform flawlessly. Consumer reports just listed the Rebel XSI (the generation before the one you posted I believe) as their top pick for price and photo quality. While the 15 megapixels would be great doing posters it is a really huge file and I am perfectly happy doing posters up to 20" x 30" with the 10 megapixel files I get from my XTI.

Here is a site that has very good easy to understand reviews of most any Digital camera
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

BTW that "kit" lens is fine for home shots but for moto or scenic shots is way underpowered. I would suggest looking into something with a better range of zoom and Fstops

dohp

Feb 16, 2009
oldguy said:
BTW that "kit" lens is fine for home shots but for moto or scenic shots is way underpowered. I would suggest looking into something with a better range of zoom and Fstops
if $1000 is the top of his budget, that's all he's going to get. He can learn the basics with a kit set then move up to a wide or telephoto lens when he can afford it.
This is basically against what i believe in of getting the best of what you want the first time around, so it doesn't cost you more in the long run, but I only buy it when i have the cash, therefore i don't break my budget.
Plus if he's jet setting around the country, a couple "L" lenses are gonna be a pain to haul around.
Yes the kit lens are limited in sharpness and usefulness under dim lighting, but he needs to start somewhere. When he gets an extra $500 or $1000 next year or something he can go out and get a new wide, telephoto lens or flash.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
dohp said:
if $1000 is the top of his budget, that's all he's going to get. He can learn the basics with a kit set then move up to a wide or telephoto lens when he can afford it.
This is basically against what i believe in of getting the best of what you want the first time around, so it doesn't cost you more in the long run, but I only buy it when i have the cash, therefore i don't break my budget.
Plus if he's jet setting around the country, a couple "L" lenses are gonna be a pain to haul around.
Yes the kit lens are limited in sharpness and usefulness under dim lighting, but he needs to start somewhere. When he gets an extra $500 or $1000 next year or something he can go out and get a new wide, telephoto lens or flash.

Problem is with the kit lens being as underpowered as it is he may quickly become tired of shooting as results show lack of good glass.
I am not recommending getting an L Lens (I don't own one yet either) but maybe something in this level
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=SG70200EXHSMIIC~item.htm
(which is what I use) for $700 and then the Canon XTI. I know this might put him $300 over budget but maybe Jetset a lower level one trip for a vastyly improved result

Another option might be the canon ef 28-135 f3.5/5.6 for around $400. this would put him right at the $1000 and be an improvement over the kit.

There are also the Tamrons and more Sigmas that would fit his budget

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You don't mention what you plan to shoot, if your plan is general photography the link dohp posted is a nice setup to get you going. If your plan is to shoot action sports like MX then as oldguy suggested more capable glass is likely in your near future.

As far as forums and stuff for photography the biggies are likely http://www.fredmiranda.com/ and http://photo.net/ .

Here is a link to some basic info to get you started creating images http://photo.net/learn/making-photographs/

dohp

Feb 16, 2009
i know the kit stuff is underpowered, i used it for a year then upgraded in a major way. But it let me figure out if i liked shooting or not. I would recommend the XTi if he can find it, but likely can only find it used, which isn't bad, i bought one for my mom for her birthday last year, and i'll still borrow it as my back up from time to time just in case. It takes excellent photos, (even better with an L lens up front :) ) If he wants to put in the time to watch the used market, fredmiranda and POTN are good sources if you're into that kind of thing.

dohp

Feb 16, 2009
ha, posted at same time :) you can't go wrong with a 70-200 F2.8 lens, just depends on if you can afford the white one or not. I know F2.8 comes in handy at times, especially on those storm cloud type days, or if you want to play with DOF.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
dohp said:
I would recommend the XTi if he can find it, but likely can only find it used, which isn't bad, i bought one for my mom for her birthday last year, and i'll still borrow it as my back up from time to time just in case. It takes excellent photos, (even better with an L lens up front :) ) If he wants to put in the time to watch the used market, fredmiranda and POTN are good sources if you're into that kind of thing.
;) just a quick search but
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244515752&sr=8-28
;)

Top Bottom