patto3

Apr 8, 2006
Alright, I did a search and didn't find anything that really helped me, so I was wondering is the digital rebel (300D) a good camera for motocross? At the moment, it is really the only dSLR in my price range and I will upgrading from a Fuji S5600 point and shoot. I have read about the complaints about no AI servo but how important really is this? The main reason I want this is the interchangable lenses, better pictures and a more versatile camera and my S5600 has a purple line through the middle of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The 300D does have servo but it's only in the preset sports mode which takes away your ability to control the settings, outside with plenty of light not a real big deal in other situations it can be a problem. Obviously you are looking used since I doubt anyone still has any new 300D's so how big a price gap is there between the used 300D and the newer and vastly improved feature wise 350D? Also keep in mind as important as the body is the lenses are equally important and this can add up to a far greater expense than the camera body.

All photo's in this thread were shot with a 300D and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX lens. http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=120546&highlight=millville

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
Chili said:
Obviously you are looking used since I doubt anyone still has any new 300D's so how big a price gap is there between the used 300D and the newer and vastly improved feature wise 350D?

There's about $200 difference AUD between the 300D and the 350D, but how much better would the 350D be?

Chili said:
Also keep in mind as important as the body is the lenses are equally important and this can add up to a far greater expense than the camera body.

This is one of the reasons I opted to go with the 300D, to save some money for lenses.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The 350D is leaps and bounds better than the 300D. I started with the 300 and the lack of Servo in anything other than sports mode forced me up to a 20D rather quickly.

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
Alright then Chili, better start saving :)
What about the nikon D50? how would that go with motocross/action shots?

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I don't know what a 300D or 350D is worth, but there was a 1D for sale on fred"s for $700. That would keep you going for a while.

Top Bottom