Girl looking for upgrade from TTR125

Marie318

Jan 9, 2008
1) your physical size 5'5 145 very athletic
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? very on my TTR
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Manly trails, but plan on racing someday
4) Do you have any riding experience? 2 years on dirt bike, and 10+ on snowmobile, and quads
5) Do you think you will race ? Yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I know the basics, and I already have a mechanic for my ttr, and other toys.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I prefer 4 because I have never rode a 2 stroke before, and I heard they can be scary
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? everything but KTM
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? plan on selling my TTR, and using what I get out of that so probably 1,500 hopefully
10) Do you live in California? No Michigan
11) Your age? 18

I have been looking alot at many bikes. Alot of people said to get a 250F because I will never outgrow the power, the only thing is is that I feel I am too short at 5'5 for one... am I? I have only looked, never sat on one. I also thought about maybe a kx100 for a good upgrade from my ttr but I dont know. I will proably be having to put more money into this than 1,500, but thats ok. just not much more. Please any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
My wife and I have this conversation often ... we upgraded her TTR with a few things, the BBR engine cradle, BBR triple clamp raising the bars a bit, and got one heckuva nice engine upgrade. We are still entertaining the idea of putting her on a YZ85, she rode the hell out of my WR250F back in Iowa, but that was pretty much wide open quad trails, with no technical sections. Out here, the WR is too tall, and way too heavy for crashes (she's about your height and a little lighter) so we decided to go with the TTR125. She still hops on the WR, and occasionally the YZ, but she is just a little short ;) for the tough stuff. :nener: (Sawed off little %$^&)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If you want to stay on a 4 stroke the options become limited as the first two thoughts I had were 2 strokes (Kawasaki KX100 and KTM 105SX). In the 4 stroke lineup you are marginally big enough for a 250F if you were only doing moto but for trails I think you'd be better served with a smaller bike like the CRF150R Big Wheel or a JuniorX from Service Honda.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
In your budget range, a Kawasaki KDX200 (a 2 stroke,) an older Honda XR 200 or newer CRF230, or a Yamaha TTR 230 would be some good choices.

My daughters and wife ride, to give you my perspective on this. I would seriously look at the KDX, as it will give you the best all around performance, (without scaring you!) It's easy to ride and reliable. Most importantly, cheap to maintain.

Good luck! KW

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I suspect you'd find the CRF230 too much of a heavy trailbike for what you're looking for, especially since you want to race. Best bet really is a KX100 with a 10-12oz flywheel weight. The additional suspension, power and cooling with about the same seat height and even lighter weight than your TTR will amaze you. It's also a 6 speed :) You should know that the KX100 makes less peak HP than a KX85 but more torque, so it's more friendly than an 85cc and much lower seat height than a 125/250F.

Marie318

Jan 9, 2008

Thank you all for your replies I found a 2003 Suzuki RM100 w/ approx. 45 hours on it, excellent condition, and they're asking $1,095.00, is this a good bike for me?

Attachments

• rm100.jpg
    rm100.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 340
Jun 22, 2007
you being 5'5'" and 145 pounds, i suggest you step it up to a 125 two stroke, a 100cc bike is way to small for you in my opinion. you will love a 125 two stroke i can garantee you that, light with some decent power.

Marie318

Jan 9, 2008
---

I had 125 two stroke in mind, because you can find them so cheap, but also I herd they're scary fast compared to a four stroke 250 which is like the same height. I have no experience on a two stroke but am willing to learn. You don't think a two stroke is too tall for me? Because I'm sure if I got one I wouldnt get bored of the power like the ttr

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I beleive the rm and kx were the same bikes then. It would be fine as long as it was well cared for. Keep in mind that there is much more maintenance on a race bike than your ttr. The price seems good as well.

Flygirl

Jul 28, 2006
The best thing to do is test ride some different bikes. I've got both, an Rm85L and a CRF230F and enjoy riding them both. The 230 is heavy but I like riding the trails more with that than the 85..when it comes to riding the canals I go with the 85, much easier to get up the sides and easier to control. I'm still a little intimidated with the 2-stroke power and keeping it in the powerband but I think that's because I learned on a 4-stroke. It's all a matter of personal preference and what you plan on doing. Best of luck!

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Well I spaced out on the budget part of the equation so both my previous suggestions are out the window. Realistically you are not going to be able to do any significant upgrade in the 4 stroke lineup from what you have with that kind of budget. The RM/KX100 would be the ideal choice as a starting platform with the intention of modifying it for woods use.

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
nahh a 4 stroke has more usable power than a 2 stroke. The good thing about a 4 stroke is it has more torque so it pulls harder and longer than a 2 stroke but the power it still smooth and doesnt jump real quick like a 2. If your looking into getting a 100 i would look into a crf150rb. Its the size of a 100 but its a 4 stroke.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
You obviously didn't look into her budget.

When $$$ is what counts, I suggest the Kx/Rm100. It has got to be the single most trail friendly mini on the market that is a two-stroke. I used to race Hare Scrambles with several girls that all rode either a kx/rm100 or even a kx80 big wheel. Both will serve you well, and I think you'll find that the shorter seat height will be MUCH better for you in the long run. Its no fun if all you do is crash. ;)

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
My girlfriend and I just went through this same exercise. We wound up with a KX100.

It is light, so she can pick it up.
It has tons of power. Maybe not as much as the bikes the 200 pounders giving advice on here ride, but plenty for her, and plenty for lots of people who race supermini and a few people who race in the 125 class on it.
It has a pretty low seat height, so she's not hung out to dry when it comes time to dab a foot.
Its suspension was a huge upgrade from her last bike (a CRF100).

We considered 125 MXers, but she never really got comfortable with the height and weight. Lowering a 125MXer negates a lot of its advantages over the KX100.

I tried to push my KDX200 onto her, but she had the same issue with height and weight. She could ride it, but she was always afraid that someday she would be crushed under it hoping that a rescue party showed up soon.

We considered a CRF150RB, which was a real contender until we considered the cost. I wanted to go way cheap on any used one, and the new ones were ridiculous. They were the cost of a KX100 PLUS a really nice vacation.

I have been meaning to order (but still have not) a Steahly flywheel weight and a kickstand to make the bike more convenient.

Another bike you might consider is an RM85L. I have no personal experience with them, but a guy we met who seemed to know what he was talking about said that the RM85L could be converted to a very torquey bike with some fairly inexpensive mods. He led me to believe that a few hundred dollars spent on porting would make it an even better woods bike than her KX100. I have no personal experience there, though, and I have no idea to whom one might give the few hundred bucks.

Marie318

Jan 9, 2008
Ya thank you for all your replies.. I think I'm still heading towards the rm/kx100.... probably even look into the rm85L thanks to bmcd308. But would the 85L be the 100? whats the difference?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Marie318 said:
But would the 85L be the 100? whats the difference?

The RM/KX100 is the exact same bike. Suzuki and Kawasaki had an agreement to share and develop bikes for a few seasons that has since disintegrated. Any Suzuki RM100 is actually a KX100 with yellow plastic.

An RM85L is a Suzuki RM85 Big Wheel, it is a Suzuki made bike that has the identical motor to an RM85 but has larger wheels and a few other differences that make it the same size as the 100's and Honda CR85 Experts.

Marie318

Jan 9, 2008
aaah ok, so any 85 big wheel is like a 100? the same size, but what about everything else? Should I be considering an 85 big wheel or is a 100 a step between 85 and 125? Sorry I just dont understand :/ I feel like I get it but then when I think about It I just confuse my self more. Sorry if im confusing you at all

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Go with a 125 two stroke. They are in your price range you can shave the seat down a little to help with being able to touch better and have the suspension set up for your weight. It's not scary fast like people have told you. YOU control the throttle.

I'm 5'3" and rode a friends KX100 once and hated it, I felt really cramped on it.

I'm shorter and lighter than you and ride a 125 mainly on tracks, but I do trail ride with it and don't have any issues.

What part of Michigan are you from?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
2 strokes for life said:
MXGirl230, what was your fisrt (or second) bike before your 125?

CR80 had it for a few months and decided I felt too cramped on it and have been on a 125 since.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom