fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
whoops - 1. n. a row of several mounds of dirt or sand on a trail. 2. interj. a word used to express regret or apology.

mud - n. a mixture of sand or dirt and water that can become very slippery and/or sticky.

puddle - n. a small pool of water on the ground

swamp - n. a wet lowland region

insane - adj. absurd or foolish

What do all of these have in common? The Gladwin ORV trail!

Need I say more? Yes? OK fine, have it your way...

Every time I ride at Gladwin I am reminded how much I hate riding on that trail. 100% deep sugary sand, more whoops than most people could think possible, and there are usually several puddles and swamps to traverse. But, for some reason, something short-circuits in my brain when I really get the itch to ride and apparently I forget all about this special hatred I have for this particular ORV trail and say, "hey, let's ride Gladwin!" :uh:

Anyway, few days ago I got a serious itch to ride. I live only a 45 minute drive from Gladwin, so I figured maybe I could hook up with my neighbor Chris (crb) and we could head up there for the day. He told me that he had already been planning a ride up there with his wife's cousin (also Chris if I remember correctly), and that he'd gladly allow me to tag along.

So, Chris shows up at my house at 11:45 AM today, we load up my bike and gear and head out for Gladwin. It's a beautiful day, 70's and sunny. Soon after arriving and unloading my bike I notice that something is missing from my gear box..."Whoops! I forgot my boots!" :bang: Luckily Chris was generous enough to let me drive his truck back to Bay City to get my boots while he and his buddy headed out onto the South loop. I get back at 2:30 and I see my worn out riding buds resting. Apparently the South loop should be nicknamed the "South Whoop".

I unload and gear up, give my KDX a couple kicks and she anxiously fires up, ready to rip! We head out onto some 2-tracks to skip over a swamp at the beginning of the North loop. Surprisingly there were very few whoops. Unfortunately two of my oldest trail nemeses are abundant here: puddles and mud. No wonder I always hate riding Gladwin. I decided that I'd just play it safe and not try to ride too fast today, I really didn't feel like drowning my bike or ending up in the hospital, so my hope of living out my week's worth of "ripping" daydreams came to a screeching halt. Oh well, I figure I can still have a good time (as good of a time as I can have at Gladwin, anyway) without trying to race. 10 miles into the ride we come to a swamp that we really don't feel like challenging. Not only that, but there is some thunder in the distance. "Oh great, now I get to ride through a muddy swamp in a thunderstorm..." :| We turned around and started heading back. I was bummed that I didn't get to have much of a trail ride, but what could I do?

Now, as I said earlier, when I really start to itch for saddle time, something short-circuits in my brain. Apparently the same sort of thing happens when I get soaked with rain. For some strange reason, with the downpour of rain, the slippery, rutty mud and the long, swampy puddles, somewhere along the way I actually start having fun. Not just a little fun, a LOT of fun. Fun like I never had in a similar situation on my Honda. Actually, I never experienced a similar situation on my Honda, or any other time for that matter. I always hated mud, puddles, swamps, sand, etc. on my Honda, but for some reason those muddy, slippery, rooty areas became surprisingly enjoyable! I don't know what it was, but I was having a blast! Maybe it was because my KDX can ride in this stuff with ease. Maybe it was because I was too soaked to care anymore. Maybe it was because we only rode for 20 miles. Maybe it was because I really had gone insane. Whatever the reason, when Chris turned to me and said, "this must be your worst trail ride ever," my response was "actually, I'm having a GREAT time!" :yikes:

Maybe Woodsy was right when he said all dirtbikers are sadistic...

EDIT- It was actually 70 Marlin who stated that all dirtbikers are sadistic. Maybe I better do some research next time I plan on quoting somebody! ;)

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
If it weren't for the all whoops, sand, mud, ruts, roots, puddles, logs, and rocks....... they'd paint a yellow line down the trail, and we might as well ride street bikes! ;)

Glad you had fun.... :aj:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
fender92883 said:
Maybe Woodsy was right when he said all dirtbikers are sadistic...
Hey Nathan I said that! Your trail report all most made Gladwin sound like fun? :rotfl:

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
70 marlin said:
Hey Nathan I said that!

D'oh! I'm sorry Marlin! I looked over the posts and you're absolutely right, Woodsy only quoted you as saying that and that's where I got mixed up. I'll give you credit for that statement. My apologies.

oakesmi2

May 15, 2003
Sorry to hyjack your thred Fender but hay all you honda riders.

take Fenders advice, buy a KDX and have fun riding in any weather.
By the way I have a KDX for sale for a dear friend that has lost his way got tranferd and could not take his bike with him.
KDX's are great off road bikes if I could justify having 2 bikes I would by it.

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey Fender … read your ride report at Gladwin … it brightened my afternoon despite the rain outside! Bein’ a Honda rider, as well as someone who rides Gladwin regularly, I now better understand why I have trouble with the mud, the puddles, the swamps and the deep sand … here I been thinkin’ it's just a hard trail … and all along it really was my bike! Wow … that’s deep! Just like the sand in Gladwin.

Glad you wound up having a great time …

terry nestrick :laugh:

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
oakesmi2 said:
hay all you honda riders...buy a KDX and have fun riding in any weather.
Nestrick said:
Bein’ a Honda rider, as well as someone who rides Gladwin regularly, I now better understand why I have trouble with the mud, the puddles, the swamps and the deep sand … here I been thinkin’ it's just a hard trail … and all along it really was my bike!

Ha ha ha...before anybody else jumps on the anti-Honda bandwagon, I sense a need to clarify. :moon:

It's not as much a HONDA problem as it is an XR200 problem. It's a spectacular beginner's bike but once you take it on tight singletrack, mud, roots, etc., it's just no fun--at least for me, anyway. I had those forks so pumped up with air to avoid bottoming that it felt like my front end was a pogo stick in choppy stuff, plus it was really difficult keeping that bike from stalling in sand and mud. I'm sure that the CR/CRF along with the 250+ XR bikes are just fine. Geez...

You're all silly. :nener:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Funny thing Nathan it looked like you was having fun on the event trail at the last trailfest? :bang:

Top Bottom