beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Does FMF make a gnarly pipe (woods) for the 89-94 era KDX 200? All I can find is FMF Fatty and Pro Circuit's pipe. I have a pro-circuit, and although pretty smashed up/cracked up it doesn't provide much low-end power at all. Top and mid range rips though, which is what I've read about PC pipe. I need torque!

I tried looking for FMF's site, can't find it though. Thanks for help! :think:

PS if they don't make a gnarly for the 89-94, how is the fatty compared to PC pipe? I can get a PC cheaper, but I'd rather pay a little more and get better low-end performance. Or unless there are any other makers of a torquey pipe for an 89? Like Bill's or DG maybe? Thanks again. :worship:

Last edited:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I too have researched alternate pipes for my 94 (I have an FMF) and there doesn't appear to be more than 1 style listed. I like the FMF and wih the RB carb mod, proper jetting, and a flywheel weight, low end power is no longer an issue (IMO).

Rocky Mountain, MX South, & Bob's cycles have all had decent pricing & service for me.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The original 'gnarly' pipe for the '89-94 KDX200 was FMF's regular KDX pipe, but just made out of thicker steel.  If it has a 'G' in the model number, it should be the 'gnarly' thicker steel pipe.  You used to be able to buy the regular pipe or the thicker steel 'G' pipe.  Not sure which one they phased out - I think most KDX'ers would want the more durable thicker pipe.

I had the FMF 'gnarly' pipe on my '90 and my buddy had it on his '89.  The bike's had 'enough' low end to crawl up nasty woods trails (like a stocker), but that's not the same as serious low end grunt like a big bike has.  The pipe mainly added mid and upper power, at a nice weight savings over stock. 

Dropping a tooth on your countershaft sprocket is a nice way to improve grunt on these bikes. 

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by JasonWho
Would the "G" be in the model number that is stamped on the pipe?

Yes, it should be in the model # stamped on the pipe.   Unless FMF has changed their system since I had mine.  :) 

Back when the '89 was new, there ware no Gnarlies or Fatties.  FMF's marketing term for their pipes back then was 'Gold Series'.   Then the thicker walled 'gnarly' versions came along for offroaders.   

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
I'm sure the dynoport is nice, but i'm not about to pay over $200 for one. :think:

I found this place, decent prices on pipes. Cheaper than Rockymountain (who upped their prices $40 on KDX pipes!) http://www.gopartsdirect.com. Plus they have free shipping. :thumb:

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom