ACME

Oct 5, 2004
gnarly or rev

for an 02 220. which pipe is better REV or Gnarly?

I do mosty woods riding and want more juice for steeper uphills

Last edited:

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I put a gnarly woods pipe on my 05 220r and I'm very happy. I live in NC so we have some hills and mountains around here and the bike handles fine. I've never tried the gnarly desert pipe on it so I couldn't answer which is better. Also they don't make a REV pipe for the 220. Its either the gnarly woods (torque) or gnarly desert (rev). They say the desert pipe acually acts like the torque pipe on a 220 but I consulted my bike shop and they consulted FMF and the gnarly woods was the answer I was given to go with. :yeehaw: I put that in there just cause I like to see the nanna dancein.

ELF

Last edited:

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Go and get some off them 1" uni filters put like 6 of those on the top of airbox and put the snorkel back on. Thats what I did and if you need I'll send some pics. I also got some of my girlfriends old pantyhose and covered the inside of the snorkel.

ELF

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Ditch the airbox lid, or at least cut some holes in it. ALso, if you haven't yet, get the bike jetted properly. It will make a good bit of difference (VERY similar to adding a pipe). I went with the gnarly desert for my '03 220. With the torque the 220 already has, I felt that I needed a little more up top - as you know, the 220 runs out of wind pretty early. The desert gave my bike more rev-out, as well as keeping the bottom end in-tact. I know a couple of folks around here that started with the woods and ended up with the desert. However, YMMV.
It pulls hills like a champ here in TN - most of them I can get in 2nd. 1st gear is basically just "a blender on wheels" unless you're just crawling. I weigh in around 200lbs. with gear...

ACME

Oct 5, 2004
I like that " blender on wheels" are fmf pipes model specific for the kdx or are they the same as say a kx 250?

Aug 1, 2004
Model specific due to mount tab locations. The FMF website is a must visit lots-o-info. Many have struggled with the pipe fit. It's not just FMF products. A little tweak here and there with some patience and they fit. I used a Dremel to remove some tab material. Others bolt right up first time. Must be inconsistencies at the factory.

Many tips are here on high temp silicone use at the sleeved pipe connector. I have the silicone treatment with a gnarly and turbine II arrestor. Not very loud and no spooge from the coupler joint.

nrvs-nelly

Oct 25, 2003
I put a Gnarly pipe on my 99 220r and an FMF Q silencer. The combination is great! Lots of power down low. I also put a 50 tooth sproket on the rear and it pulls like a tractor in the New England woods.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
From KDX Only

ACME said:
for an 02 220. which pipe is better REV or Gnarly?

I do mosty woods riding and want more juice for steeper uphills

Having no previous experience with any pipe on any bike :) I made the decision based on information I got from the hop-up section of the KDX only website...

From what I gathered from the info there, the Gnarly Woods pipe would add to the 220R low to mid range, but after 6000 RPM it would run flat very much like the stock pipe.

WIth the Desert (rev) pipe on a 220R, it would add power across the entire range (not as much as the woods pipe for low end, but alot in the midrange and far more at the upper revs)

Since I am new to dirtbikes, and the bike had more than enough torque for my beginner bones, I thought adding across the board might be a good move...

After adding the desert pipe and TC2 Q silencer to my 04 220R it seems to have a little more torque down low (noticeable), it definitely winds out better at high rpm (very noticeable) and the midrange hit is astoundingly more intense! (would have to be dead not to notice)

In fact, the midrange hit was so much more powerful that it nearly jerked my grip of the grips it was so unexpected the very first time I experienced it after the installation.

I think I might have gotten very lucky with the overall carbeuration as my bike runs very smoothly, idles like a dream, and has no hesitation off idle (after a slight airscrew adjustment) I think it was running very rich in stock form, and now with the new pipe and silencer, runs leaner (but still a little on the rich side)

As a side note, I was expecting my bike to be much louder, but such is not the case... I would say if it is louder, it is only because the "ring-dingding" 2-stroke sound is a little more noticeable, but I actually LIKE that sound :) so decible wise I would say its exactly the same as stock from what I can hear.

Good Luck!

Feanor

ABS13

Apr 15, 2004
Put the desert (k-30) pipe on my 220. Also added a Fredette torque ring (I think it does make just enough difference down low to be worth the small $$$). Stayed with stock gearing. I find this a very capable setup in wooded hills. Without carb mods, I was afraid the woods (k-35) pipe would turn the 220 into a total tractor. I really like how the 220 revs out with the desert pipe - no KX250 for sure, but still fun (hey, that's what 2 smokes are all about)! :)

Top Bottom