Goin for a color change (green to black bike)

jetpilot773

Aug 22, 2006
anyone ever tried painting their bike without removing stuff from the frame. i wanna go for all black (plastics, frame, anything else thats color) or does anyone know where i can get black plastics for a 94 kx 250????

kimoajaj

Sep 7, 2004
Go for new plastics, don`t paint it ! . Will look bad unless you know what you are doing, and even if you are, the paint will fall off when you crash and the it will be ugly.

My opinion:)

Poptart

Aug 3, 2006
kimoajaj said:
Go for new plastics, don`t paint it ! . Will look bad unless you know what you are doing, and even if you are, the paint will fall off when you crash and the it will be ugly.

i agree

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
kimoajaj said:

exactly what he said
my yz the previous owner painted the frame himself and now it looks terrible
i here if you tear the bike down and send it out to a powder coater that the powder coat paint holds up real well
at least thats what i was told im sure others here can point you in right direction

Jbgabriel

Feb 23, 2006
My 99 kx frame was originally green but the previous owner had it powder coated gray and it has held up very well. There are a few spots that have worn and you can see the green underneath but it still looks great.

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
I agree with everyone. You can't paint the plastics with out making them look like crap. And powder coating in the best way to take care of the frame :blah: .

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
If you really want a challenge, restore the bike to showroom fresh. It's much harder to do on bikes made before 1990 than it looks and always blows people away when you do it right.

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
I've painted the plastics on my street bike but would never think of doing it on the dirt bike. I like to ride trails and woods and getting scratches in the plastic is a very common occurance. You would have to repaint it every other ride to keep it looking good. I've seen plastic sets on the auction site for less than $150.

Top Bottom