Going to look at at 01 200. Has a few things wrong

Liamfm

Apr 20, 2010
Hey all,
I'm pretty handy around the garage, but I don't want to get into a disaster with this purchase.

Bike is an 01 KDX200 that "ran great when I put it away last winter, now runs rough"

Owner thinks it needs new gas and a carb cleaning, but I can't imagine that someone wouldn't just fix that before they sell it (how hard is that!)

Is there something I should be looking out for on this? Expensive electronics that can cause bad running?

Can anyone give me a checklist to run down when I see the bike, and any diagnostics that I can do to isolate the problem from electric to carb/gas?

This isn't my first KDX, but it's been 15 years since I've ridden. The day I sold my 87 was the day I started missing my dirtbike!

Thanks in advance.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
main concern would be the engine so if it starts up and Idles let it warm up and then take her for a spin ...at first it is common for alot of smoke and boggyness but should clear out and become crispwith a few wide open throttle gears. if the boggyness does not go away it may be time for a new piston or worse a replate in the cylinder.

the over all condition of the bike will give you an idea of the maintenance, seeings how this guy wouldnt clean the carb and drain the gas and give her some new gas it might not be a good sign.

take two cans over there one full and one empty drain his gas and put itn yours, also a compression tester would be a very good tool to flush a bull crapper out, its been a while but 165-175psi is still good on the kdx

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Typical "sat over the winter" symptoms. Needs a carb cleaning.

OR.....the engine is really sick and he's using that as an excuse. Offer him half what he's asking (it runs terrible, right?) and hope it's a varnished carb. Either that or tell him to clean the carb, get it running right, and you'll give him what he's asking.

Electronics you can rule out; they either work perfectly or they don't work at all.

Check the rear suspension linkage for bearing wear: if an owner takes care of the linkage, he'll probably have taken care of the rest of the bike. Ditto steering head bearings.
Is the air cleaner fairly clean? You want to know what kind of maintenance the owner has given his bike and the air cleaner can tell you how fastidious he is. The chain and sprocket's condition is another indication of the care the bike has received, as well as overall cleanliness: if the bike hasn't been kept thoroughly clean, it probably hasn't been cared for mechanically.

Liamfm

Apr 20, 2010
Can anyone confirm compression numbers? I would assume that a bike that needs a new piston and / or cylinder replate would show significantly lower compression?

I'm trying to get my hands on a compression tester.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Compression is really only a valid measurement if you have a basis for comparison. IE, check compression after a fresh top end, check it again later to note the drop and get an idea when to tear it apart for piston/rings.

Usable range for my 89 is 119 - 185. I got 165 after a re-plate and new piston/rings. If it's under 120, you're probably looking at tearing into the top end.

scooter01

May 4, 2010
I just got burned buying used. Owner said it needed timing adjusted but couldn't do it because cold weather and jetting. Turns out kips valve was stuck , top end came off and working on it still. If it wont rev on top end, take the round slotted cover off and make sure kips valves rotate. you'll need a large straight screwdriver. Buyer beware!

Liamfm

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, I passed on this one. Didn't even go look at it.

Picked up a 1996 that starts first kick and runs really good. Needs a few things, but overall a good buy.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
scooter01 said:
I just got burned buying used. Owner said it needed timing adjusted but couldn't do it because cold weather and jetting. Turns out kips valve was stuck , top end came off and working on it still. If it wont rev on top end, take the round slotted cover off and make sure kips valves rotate. you'll need a large straight screwdriver. Buyer beware!

LOL.

Ok, nobody buy a used bike, ever! Scooter is having trouble with his, so nobody should buy used.

Sorry that just struck me funny. It seems you are having some minor problems with a used bike you purchased, and do not have the patience to work on it. Oh well, maybe it's just not for you? Kips valves are a common problem area on these bikes. No big deal. Jetting is something you have to do regardless of whether the bike is new OR used.

J.

scooter01

May 4, 2010
It was mostly the dishonesty of the seller that got to me. I told him I didn't want a project bike, but he assured me over and over that it was a simple timing issue and had the puller and stock stator . I dont mind the tinkering, I'm just not familiar with kdx and waiting for parts suck. Missed first race already ,no seat time on bike

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom