SoloTSi97

May 26, 2009
Hi all, been into street bikes and track days for several years now. I decided to sell my track bike and get into dirt bikes with my boys. So, I picked up a 2001 KDX 200 for me and have so far picked up a 2004 CRF50 for the boys. Once I get my older boy (9) used to it, I'll probably pick up a 70-80 for him next season and hand the 50 down to my 6yo.

I looked at a couple of ragged KDX's before coming across this fine specimen locally via Craigslist. It was in great shape (as you can see), but wouldn't start after having been parked for a couple of years. I got it home, put in a fresh plug & gas. After checking for spark, I drained the carb float bowl (plenty of junk came out with the gas) and let some gas run through there. Buttoned it back up and she started on the second kick!

It idles pretty rough and it tends to stumble at mid-throttle, but WOT goes like a raped ape. So, I've got some carb cleaning ahead of me. But hey, that's half the fun. :-)

I've already found some great info on here, looking forward to more!

-Bob

Attachments

• DSC_0001 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0001 (Small).JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 230

MR D

Dec 5, 2006
Great looking KDX there chap.

I'm moving back into dirt bikes, and my 9 year old will be getting his first bike this year. :laugh:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site! :)

Check out the Every Kdx Rider Should Read This! thread in Canadian Daves JustKDX forum. It will lead you to piles of information on the KDX. Our own FredT, dirtbiker extrodinair has authored a compendium of information relating to the venerable KDX. Be sure and check it out!

SoloTSi97

May 26, 2009
Thanks for the welcome. In the past couple of months, I took the carb apart and cleaned it and went ahead and removed the top end for cleaning/inspection. As a testament to how fresh the bike is, none of the measurements in the top end were outside the factory specs listed in the service manual ... much less getting close to the wear limits!

I've got it all back together and running much better, though I'm still playing around trying to find the right jetting/adjustments on the carb. I'm mainly still working through some part-throttle stumbling. But, it's mostly due to lack of time to work on it lately than a real roadblock.

Thanks for the links ... I had already found those sites via a coworker who has a KDX200. Definitely invaluable information!!

-Bob

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
welcome Bob sure is a nice 200 you found, many people get ragged out ones and have the satifaction of saving it... at a cost though

I'm sure you'll enjoy it

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Its like Jeckell and Hyde... I got Mr. Hyde.

Bob and I work together, and that was one of two local bikes on craigslist when I was looking... The background story on both bikes was a little fishy... so I went to look at the cheaper one first.

I can't ride until I get past surgury, so I was looking for a cheaper entry point knowing I would do more work. The bike looked in bad shape, but ran. So I offered $800, thinking... "well, the thing does run ok as is, so how bad can it really be". I never even looked at "Bob's bike"...

A day after I bought mine, I dug into it and started finding things like stripped transmission output shafts, damaged spokes, cracked pistons, broken parts of the frame, etc ad nasaum.

Bob, a day after he bought that one, was looking at it idle in the driveway thinking "wow, that was really easy to get running". And did he mention the previous owner gave him a box full of FRP Offroad bits?

:bang:

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Nice bike , looks almost showroom fresh. My 9 year old got me back into dirt riding ... He just turned 21 ... What great times we share, in the dirt, and in the garage. Welcome here. Dave

Top Bottom