Status
Not open for further replies.

REDBARON

Mar 20, 2004
I recently purchased a 2001 KDX 220 and I started asking around about what was the latest and greatest 2 stroke pre-mix oil. I had an 87 KDX 200 and I used to run Castor 927 with great results. I called Fredette racing of KDX fame and they recomended a 50:1 ratio of Golden Spectro. I'm used to around 36:1 and this whole 50:1 kind of scares me with my nice new KDX!!! Even after calling the Golden Spectro rep and talking to him, I still am a little uneasy with the idea of that lean a ratio. If anyone out there has run Golden Spectro please tell me how you liked it and what ratio you ran. THANKS

elf

Jun 7, 2003
I used to run it in my bikes back in the late 70s-early 80s at 50:1. I never had any problems with it.But if you had great results with the 927 why not keep using it?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I wouldn't run Spectro @ 50:1, I prefered 40:1 and ran mine 2 seasons on one set of rings! Good stuff!! :thumb:

I might add though - Fredette would know better than almost anyone - he has a proven track record!!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I ran GS at 50:1 every ride and it's fine. I ran it at 32:1 and it gunked up the bike like no tomorrow. I now run it at 42:1 with great results. I used to pour one bottle in 5 gallons and it worked out around 50:1.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think a bottle in five gallons will net you 40:1, si?

I found that Golden Spectro gummed up my power vales something terrible, although I feel it probably protected my other working parts fine.

EN,
Is Jeff's proven track record in wrenching or racing?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I think most of the synthetic and synthetic blends do work well at 40 to 50 to 1. Contrary to popular belief. I know there are allot of people who say they don't, but I don't see the proof. I was experimenting with oil ratio, jets and such last year and ran my 125 at 42-50:1 all season, it ran fine. I use Castrol TTS which is fully synthetic, I'll probably stick to 42:1. :thumb:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I've run GS @ 50:1 in my '96 KDX since it was brand new and my '99 KDX since it was brand new. Never had a bit of trouble. Jeff's advise is good enough for me.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Jaybird said:
EN,

Both.

"I used to pour one bottle in 5 gallons and it worked out around 50:1."

40:1 is one bottle to 5 gallons.

I swore by the stuff because of the longevity of my motors - well over 3k miles on a topend, and that was hard race/trail miles. I wouldn't suggest running that long between topends as a rule of thumb but when your poor and still want to race...

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
It is my opinion that the KDX runs better on 50 to 1. Normally I like 32 to 1 in every two stroke engine. 32 to 1 is proven to lubricate well under almost any condition. That is why the ratio is so popular and required by most mfg's. However the KDX seems to load up during slow riding and can clog power valves with excess oil. This may be due to the mild state of tune and fairly low revving nature of the KDX. I have even noticed that some KDX's really smoke on 32 to 1, which would be unusual on a well jetted engine.

Chris

bleedngreen

Jan 9, 2004
I started using Spectro in my '80 kdx 175 at 52:1 (12 oz. to 5 gallons), back in the eighties... I'm now on my third KDX and still using the stuff (52:1) without an oil related problem. Excellent top end longevity, no stuck power valves, no nothing.

My main riding buddy swears by his Amsoil in his 220, but if 'm not having any troubles, why mess with a good thing...

winslow

Jun 23, 2003
I ran it for a while b/c that is what my riding buddies used...switched over to the Mobil 1 that you get a Autozone, and I thought the bike felt stronger.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I agree with Winslow. I went to eh Mobil 1 MX2T because ALOT of folks ovr at the KTM site tried it and wont run anything else. never mind the fact it is half the price of any other premium oil.

The stuff is really quite good. No spooge to speak of at 36 or 40 to 1.

The only drawback is there is no color change in the fuel. Just make sure you stick to your routine of oil first, then gas and the color issue is, well, a non-issue.

GS is good stuff - but why not go with something modern. The Mobil 1 line of products is top notch.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Jaybird said:
I think a bottle in five gallons will net you 40:1, si?

I found that Golden Spectro gummed up my power vales something terrible, although I feel it probably protected my other working parts fine.

EN,

Jaybird . . . Why, please tell me why, you must be so cynical?

:p

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
I have run Golden Spectro in every two stroke motor I have owned since 1980. I use 40:1 mix in my KDX, leaf blower, snow thrower, weed wacker and chain saw. If I looked up the manufacturers recommendations on all these items, I would find anything from 16:1 to 50:1. I can honestly say, I never broke a piston or siezed a motor running Golden Spectro.

Golden Spectro mixing instructions found on the back of a 2 quart bottle:

Mix 12 oz w/ 5 gal. (52:1) of gas for optimum performance

Mix 16 oz w/ 5 gal. (40:1) of gas for severe conditions

Mix 10 oz. w/ 5 gal. (64:1) for slower conditions

A really great item to have next to your bottle of two stroke oil is a "Ratio Rite". This clear mixing cup gives you all the needed amounts of oil for every gallon of gas as it relates to mixes.
For example: If you have a gallon bottle of 2 stroke oil and you want to mix, let's say... 2.5 gallons of gas at 40:1. You just pour in the oil up to the 40:1 line under the 2.5 gallon column.

Ok, sorry to go off on the Ratio Rite bottle but if anyone is confused on mixing oils, Buy a Ratio Rite!

Time to go riding............

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Rooster, do I really bother you that much?

Perhaps you should tell us what your opinion is on recommendations of 50:1 oil/fuel ratios.

I really hate that recommendation. It isn't enough oil.
But to each their own I spose.

At least I did offer up a bit of my analytical experience to go with my cynnicism. Where's yourn? :)

And on Freddette....the man is a legend. I know quite well his record.
This is, he has done things on his race bike that suits his racing. The man probably has a fresh rebuild each time he raced.
Recommendations of 50:1 to spodes on hacked out KDX's is probably a bad idea, but that's just my cynical self speaking.

How many times have you also heard "I'm a pro class A rider and I run 100:1, so it must be the way to go" or somesuch close to that? What does a persons rding ability have to do with their knowledge of tuning, nuttin. (not directed at Jeff, just the 1000's of A class wannabe tuners)

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
People that run full bore are usually expert type riders... and if THEY say 50:1 is OK... Who are we to doubt them (especially Jeff) By the way...he is one hell of a wrench....If you have a hack bike and are a slow inexperienced rider ...50:1 sure as hell won't hurt you a bit.
more .02

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Here is my train of thought that I learned from a ex team green rider, 6 time 6 day rider who owns a GasGas shop -

mineral oil 32:1
semi-synthetic 40:1(G.S.)
synthetic 50:1(Motul,etc.)

Obviously if money is no object, go for what you prefer.

My last .02 :thumb:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Skipro,
Can we not have opinions here? Grow up.

Money is an object and I can run full synthetic MX2T at 20:1 and have more power, cleaner power valves, better protection, and probably spend less money than the guy buying gummy Spectro running 50:1
But hey, it's your bike.

Again, nut...your source is probably knowledgable, but being an A class rider and owning a shop gives you what, as far as motor expertise?
Do you trust everything A riders and moto shops tell you?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Jaybird -
It's known within the industry that the big 4 have not researched oil properties - or better yet, the newer mixtures of oil/oil hybrids for many years. This will make many recommendations obsolete(i.e. - Almost all bikes still recommend 32:1 yet oil products are superior today compared to 20 years ago.). While 32:1(or any other mixture - 40:1) will certainly work, progression on research needs to be updated so the public is correct in their knowledge.

Regarding A riders and shops - I feel, like any profession, 10% of them are the best and the other 90% are not worth talking about - most shops are horrible and I don't believe 90% of their comments.
One of my determining factors are success - have they proven themselves within the industry to be succesful. In this case, yes. It seems like the majority of shops(in my case off road) don't know alot.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Jaybird,
What ever are you talking about?! Wait you didn't think my last post was directed towards you and your (less than) perseptive "opinions", did you? Stick to prostilizing about chains and homemade chainlube brews and spare us the name calling like:
"spodes on hacked out KDX's"
and sarcasm such as:
"I'm a pro class A rider and I run 100:1, so it must be the way to go"
As far as your comment, "Do you trust everything A riders and moto shops tell you?"
who should we trust, you and your comment, " I can run full synthetic MX2T at 20:1 and have more power"
Not that I disagree with that, I don't. But why should we trust you and not the guys who have devoted there lives and careers to the sport?
You expect us to respect your expertise on chains, chain maintence and chain lubes. Hard to do when you disrespect the others out there and their "analytical experience".
Besides, you have lambasted the "analytical experience" of many in regards to your field of expertise but want us to acknowledge your your analytical experiance. It doesn't work that way.
Your advise to "grow up" is good. So heed your own advise and add some credibility to your opinions. It will earn you the respect you so desperately crave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom