firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Go to www.mikmoto.com, and click on "Opinions, or The World According to Mik". Funny stuff. he he he I especially like the piece written as a rebuttal to the 50s article about being a good wife, and also the essay immediately following it. Mikki has raced both downhill mountain bike and motocross, and teaches classes occasionally. Not sure of her current schedule but I've gone to an MX school she held, and also went on a "casual" trail ride near her house in the Cascades that turned into a big lesson. She's a great rider.

An excellent paragraph:
"It’s a rude awakening to discover that you really have nothing in common with the everyday woman. They don’t want to drop everything and go for a trail ride, or rent a new car just to see what it can do. They don’t have fun hucking bikes off huge drops or going to the local BMX course and trying to clear the big double. Crashing isn’t part of the learning curve to the everyday woman, it’s a tragedy that could potentially scar them both physically and emotionally for life. Unless they hear a bone snap, the downhill woman is back up and on the bike trying again. Even if the bone does give up the ghost, the downhill woman knows a local doctor with more imagination then scruples that will quickly cast the limb to adhere to a pedal or grip a bar. Our world is one where a concussion simply means a good night’s sleep and a trip in an aid car only counts if they hit the lights and siren." :aj:

On a more serious note, today I chanced by a table at Barnes and Noble filled with books by and about women. One was titled "Bitch: Praise for Difficult Women" and looked fascinating, another was called "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office" and I almost brought it home too. But the one I did buy is called "Women who Run with the Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes and is an excellent read so far, composed of myths and fables and fairy tales dissected by a female psychologist and historian. It's based on the "wild woman" that we all have inside us, without whom we can't be complete or whole (in Dr. Estes' opinion). She discusses the core truths/themes found for women at the heart of the stories. She is a little wordy but it's still a good book (at page 63, at least).

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Good topic FC22 :thumb:

I find myself wondering about the differences in women, the followers vs the leaders, the competitors vs the non's. How we fit into society and how we are perceived by men. We are all very different for sure. I assume we all have a role to play and we are the way we are for a reason, be it passive or aggressive, Nurterers or Take no Prisoners. I think we are all a little of both.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Great find FC!! Thanks for sharing. I agree with Nat. It's fun to hear about other points of view from the female seat. :thumb:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Great reads FC22!!! I especially like the first article...I have a cell phone, but there are just sometimes you do not need it and I 100% agree with that article from the point that you don't need your cell phone while hiking to the point that most men these days can change a tire (and it's pretty pathetic!).

I may have to take a trip to Barnes & Noble and check out some of those books!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I think Dr. Estes' opinion seems to be that we have all of the aspects of woman and these various fables demonstrate that through symbology (some of which she seems to have dug fairly deep for). European (west and east), native American and south American stories seem to be her favorites so far. She believes that we should encourage ALL of these aspects of ourselves to achieve a healthy balance.

I still may go back for the other books, as well as the one in the history section about "History's most evil women." That one sounds good too.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I'll have to point out this thread to "The Ant"....

Apparently her first words werent' "mama" or "da-da" ....but "me do!"

Cheers! - ET

Top Bottom