yamayz125

Feb 8, 2003
Some weeks ago I got a 2006 YZ125.
I`ve ridden it for about 2 hours and I love it!
The problem is that the winter is coming soon, and I can`t ride.
What can I do with my bike? I feel that I`ve to do something, it`s boring to wait for the summer.
I`ve greased the linkage and swingarm. Should I grease the steering head bearing?
I`m not so tall, so I think I`ll cut the seatfoam a bit.
I bought a compression tester yesterday. Measured the compression today and it was 150 PSI (cold).
Is that ok?
The jetting isn`t so bad from the factory I think, but I`ll take a look when the summer comes.
What do you think about the original tires (Dunlop 756)?
I ride mostly in sand, should I change them?
The bike are strong enough for me so I`ll not use money at the motor, not yet.
I think it`s more important to have good suspension, maybe I should use some money at that?
Many questions but it`s so boring when I can`t ride! :)

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Well, I live down here in sunny New Mexico where we can ride pretty much all year 'round. I suggest you drive down here with that YZ-inger and just leave it with me for the "winter". I'll take care of it for you- no charge!- and come spring, I assure you it'll be well broken in and ready for you to take over! I mean, hey, people do it with horses, why not dirt-bikes???

skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
Hey NM_, where do you ride? We ride in and around Albuquerque.

Yama,

I'd also grease the steering head bearing and anything else that moves, including axles, etc. The 756 is pretty good for sand, so as long as it's useful, I'd leave it. If you ride exclusively in sand, I've had good luck with the 773. For grins, you can pull apart the carb and study it in detail, to pass time. I guess us New Mexico riders will have to ride for you.

yamayz125

Feb 8, 2003
NM_KDX200 said:
Well, I live down here in sunny New Mexico where we can ride pretty much all year 'round. I suggest you drive down here with that YZ-inger and just leave it with me for the "winter". I'll take care of it for you- no charge!- and come spring, I assure you it'll be well broken in and ready for you to take over! I mean, hey, people do it with horses, why not dirt-bikes???

My local track isn`t open in the winter. The nearest track that`s open is very far away.
I can`t afford your offer, I almost used all my money at the bike.
The bike will be broken in as soon as the summer is here, no problem! :)

yamayz125

Feb 8, 2003
skipn8r said:
Yama,

I'd also grease the steering head bearing and anything else that moves, including axles, etc. The 756 is pretty good for sand, so as long as it's useful, I'd leave it. If you ride exclusively in sand, I've had good luck with the 773. For grins, you can pull apart the carb and study it in detail, to pass time. I guess us New Mexico riders will have to ride for you.
I ride almost in sandy conditions, but I guess my tires are good enough.
As I said, I`ve used almost all my money at the bike.
So I think I`ll use money at other things than tires.
I guess I`ve to use the winter for training and watching mx-movies like Skills with Ryan Hughes...

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
man, you are soooo lucky,, 06 yz 125 may be the best bike ever made.. i'd drain/run out the gas and put a cover over it for winter. next spring, i'd add a tooth to the rear sprocket, thats probably all you'd ever have to do to that bike. good luck.

sean,
northeast MS

yamayz125

Feb 8, 2003
Nevada Sixx said:
man, you are soooo lucky,, 06 yz 125 may be the best bike ever made.. i'd drain/run out the gas and put a cover over it for winter. next spring, i'd add a tooth to the rear sprocket, thats probably all you'd ever have to do to that bike. good luck.

sean,
northeast MS
Yes, I`m going to do that.
I know it`s a new bike and I don`t need to do so many things with the bike.
I`m going to order chain and sprockets, is 13/49 a good combination?
I have always got old bikes, so I`m very lucky now! :)
But it will be a long time till next time I`m buying a new one...

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
skipn8r said:
Hey NM_, where do you ride? We ride in and around Albuquerque.

Clayton, Raton. During the summer, I go to Red River and Angel Fire. In the winter, I drop down toward Amarillo TX and ride near Dumas on the river. I do most of my riding right here on our ranch.

Top Bottom