rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
Not sure if anyone has done this before, but I just picked up a 1994 to 2000 YZ250 mod bike. The frame has been cut to accept 2000 plastics, and as far as myself and my buddies can tell the weld where the cut was made on the upper part of the frame is real solid. Anyone ever do this before, or is my bike a total freak?

Anyhow the bike was built by a racer, and it was raced. Bike seems real solid, topend was built less than 10 hours ago, I just changed all the fluids, and plug. wanna replace the plastics, and everything seems to be 2000 plastics, but unsure about the fenders...Im guessing I would still have to use 1994 fenders as the airbox is still a 94, and so is the fork..(any input, as far as Acerbis or UFO)?

I dont plan on racing this bike, just wanna have alot of fun on the trails with my buddies and their 125's. Any advice about this particular model year? Im 31, and just started to ride dirtbikes again, snowmobiling has taken up all my time over the past several years. Yah, by the way I spent 1400.00 for the bike, didnt want to spend that much this year, and if I like the sport, I will try to buy newer next year.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
The 1994 yz 250 was a good bike, 1400 would not be a bad price for something that is clean and well taken care of.Cutting and welding the frame though?

The front fender and number plate should fit up to 2001 I believe, but the tank, seat rear fender and side panels should only be 93-95 yz and 94 -97 wr

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Advice? Have fun, the 93-95 bikes are great! Power to spare, and something that yamaha took years to regain after that era. Plenty of parts around. I'd like to see a pic of the frame mods you're talking about. Not that I'm going to go cut mine up or anything, but would just like to see it. The ergos aren't quite right on the bike(for me) and I'm sure this hacking cured it!

rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
OK, if I can figgure out how to post pictures, I will post pictures. More info on bike. The tank has been replaced with a 2000 model tank, along with the seat. Only one cut as far as I can tell was made. Not sure about the suspension....as the suspension is marked B Line suspension speciality control, and I cant find any info on the web about this company.

Im not saying this bike is the cats meow, but dont knock it until ya' see it. I appreciate everyones input.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Wow nice bike........you are lookey the owner told the truth about its age you cold have paid between 1400+2000 for that bike!

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
that is for sure a 93-95 yz frame, swingarm and motor, very odd i must say but looks nice anyway. I have heard of people puting the older motor in the newer frame, but never seen someone make the plastic from a 96-2001 fit a 93-95

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The seat, airbox, and side panals look like the newer YZ as well. The 96-10 series.

Nice job. It just amazes me what people are able to accomplish when they decide to do something.

rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
Thanks for the comments...Im proud to own her...odd-ball or not (sorta fits my personality). Anyhow Im not sure what a 96-10 series is, so any input would be cool. I put a 94 Twin Air filter in and seems to fit, if anyone thinks I should use something else...Im open to suggestions.

Any other observations, or comments on what I should be aware of or the such, just let me know. Im still trying to figgure out what pieces belong to what year on this bike.

Also, since I need to buy some new fenders, Im guessing 2001 plastics will be cool...correct? UFO or Acerbis, or factory...any of the three gonna be ok...factory just seems so expensive.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
dont worry about the air filter they are all the same from like 88 to 02 125 250 400 426 yz yzf wr wrf looks like any plastic from 96 to 01 2 stroke(which is what I believe RCannon was trying to say) will work.

the bike does look very clean but maybe you should ask the original builder/owner what exactly is what for parts buying purposes.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Anyhow Im not sure what a 96-10 series is, so any input would be cool.

96-10 is what happens when I type with my contact lenses still in the case.

I honestly meant to say 96-01!!!!

Natester55

Jun 13, 2002
RD,

Before you go out and ride that thing very hard, I would HIGHLY recommend that you pull the tank and take a better look at the frame mods. Modifying mounting tabs, etc is no big deal, but this guy cut and modified THE major structural member of the frame. Do me a big favor and post some pics of the bike w/o all the plastic on it--particularly the tank/shrouds. If he did it incorrectly (and there's almost no way to know what heat-treating the guy destroyed in the original frame), you could be really endangering yourself. Remember--motocross bikes not only endure high single-impact loads (jumps, etc), but they're in constant fatigue. Just do me a favor and check it out. Best of luck,

Natester

rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
Natester, I will post some pics within the next few days. Over the next few days Im gonna tear the whole bike down, and take pics. The welds/mods were done by a professional who preps and maintains their sleds and bikes before and after races. All I know is these guys race professionaly, and this bike was raced for 2 seasons after the mods were done for the youngest brother.

I notice the subframe is a different color than the frame so Im guessing at this point that the subframe is a 00 model., with all the plastics off except the tank, I can visually see no other frame mods at this point...but who knows what I will find when the tank is off the bike. I appreciate your concern for safety...as I sure the heck wouldnt want this thing snapping on me while landing.

will post again when pictures are updated.

rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
UPDATE : For those intrested I posted a new Photo Album called "FRAME MODS" and heres the link

Select Frame Mods

If any other pictures are needed, let me know. All the welds were covered with tape, and a very heavy rubber was zip-tied ariound the welds to avoid rubbing with the tank.

Natester55

Jun 13, 2002
RD,

Well the good thing is the guy didn't completely cut the backbone. It's definitely weaker than a complete round tube, but it looks like he did a pretty thorough job welding it. My suggestion would be to inspect that thing every single ride for any sign of fatigue cracks. If it were me I'd strip that black paint off (chemical, not mechanical means) and closely inspect all the welds....

Of course, if it were me I wouldn't feel comfortable riding it a more than a snails pace...

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Natester55 said:
RD,

Well the good thing is the guy didn't completely cut the backbone. It's definitely weaker than a complete round tube, but it looks like he did a pretty thorough job welding it. My suggestion would be to inspect that thing every single ride for any sign of fatigue cracks. If it were me I'd strip that black paint off (chemical, not mechanical means) and closely inspect all the welds....

Of course, if it were me I wouldn't feel comfortable riding it a more than a snails pace...
Whys that most cars that you see on the road(classic restorations) and race cars have all been cut, panels replaced and rewelded, the welds are excellent on that bike. I would be proud and confident to own one with that quality of work done to it, i feel that it is perfectly safe....but do strip the paint just to check.
I would reccommend to weld a strip of metal and perhaps gusset the frame if you are worried,
I bet that bike would wip the newer ones in terms of out and out.....doller for doller enjoyment!
Like the bike.Enjoy!

Top Bottom