Natester55

Jun 13, 2002
You're comparing apples and oranges. Cars that have the frames cut ALWAYS have additional structural pieces added. Most cars aren't being jumped and ridden the way an MX bike is designed to be, and in this case the primary structural member of the frame was cut; If you could see how much the factory guys strech their frames (except for Honda of course) during normal riding/racing, you'd be nervous too. I didn't tell rottiedog not to ride it--I simply stated that I wouldn't feel comfy pushing it on that bike...

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Sorry wasnt trying to purposely disagree with you.I just feel that with the level of craftmanship applied to the bike, i feel that it is safe to ride and ride fast..If it was welded and cut 10 years ago, it can be rewelded and cut effictively now(by a pro).
As i am guessing that this man is not a pro(no offence), its probably more than safe for what a mere mortal could dish out!
I was thinking of frame stretch.Gusset and weld a support bar to the area! and Frame!

rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
blanc,
Thanks for your opinion on the welds, and your correct...Im not looking to jump 150+ feet with the thing, just wanna get use to riding again with this bike. The welds appear very-very solid...this is not some home-brew JB-Weld job (no offense to JB-Weld). I will check into the support bar, and see who can do this for me.

Natester55,
Your input is valued, and safety is a concern of mine. I will strip the paint and inspect the welds. Unfortunately I just put the bike back together and re-taped the welds with alloy tape to keep the welds safe from moisture. If the weather gets to about 55 degrees out this week as the weather man states, I will ride the bike a few hours, and than take it apart again.

Once I strip the paint I will repost a few pictures of the welds. I'm glad I became a member here...good input from you guys...much appreciated---thanks.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
rottiedog said:
blanc,
Thanks for your opinion on the welds, and your correct...Im not looking to jump 150+ feet with the thing, just wanna get use to riding again with this bike. The welds appear very-very solid...this is not some home-brew JB-Weld job (no offense to JB-Weld).
ME TOO..Wish you all the luck with your bike and riding! :yeehaw:

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
In one of your pictures your new air filter looks a little dry. Did you use a good filter oil before you installed it? :)

I assuming you probably just stuck in to check fitment.

rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
I oiled it with Yamalube 10w/30. The books says to use this type of oil, or to use a filter oil. Any suggestions? Also I noticed 1 little thing with the subframe when I put new fenders on. The rear wheel does not look perfectly center to the rear-fender. I first thought this was a bent fender issue, but when I replaced the old fender with a new one, I still noticed the issue. I see I can pick up a used subframe for about $100.00 on ebay---is this a good deal? Is a slightly bent subframe ok to ride on...or are all subframes just a little off center to the rear wheel?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Id guess either the framemods are not 100% straight or that the sframes bent! Im not sure if its ok or not..id ride it first before you pump money into her! I would use airfilter oil only.Expensive 2stroke is rubbish on a filter!

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I'll go back to my original comment, why?
I just have a hard time with someone modifying a perfectly good 94 just so it can accept newer plastics. Jamie's close, $1400 is a fair price for a 94... an unmodified 94! (actually a bit high)
I would have a problem feeling safe on the bike, not knowing who the welder was or how the integrity of the structure would hold up to repeated landings. These things were meant for jumping not just trail riding.

You really could have gotten a better deal. My opinion.
My shopping over the last 2 months
2001 YZ250 $1500
2000 YZ250 $1800
2002 YZ250 $2500
2000 YZ250 $2000
2002 YZ250 $2300
I just turned down a 99 for $1000.
*** All of these bikes were in very good to excellent condition***
Next time I get a 2000 - 2001 frame available, I'll give you a heads up.

Almost forgot the most important bike:
2004 YZ250 $4500

Keep an eye on those welds, don't ride if you see any deterioration.

Last edited:

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
I oiled it with Yamalube 10w/30. The books says to use this type of oil, or to use a filter oil. Any suggestions? Also I noticed 1 little thing with the subframe when I put new fenders on. The rear wheel does not look perfectly center to the rear-fender. I first thought this was a bent fender issue, but when I replaced the old fender with a new one, I still noticed the issue. I see I can pick up a used subframe for about $100.00 on ebay---is this a good deal? Is a slightly bent subframe ok to ride on...or are all subframes just a little off center to the rear wheel?

Motor oil tends to settle to the bottom of the filter and leave the top part dry. You should use a good sticky filter oil. There are many opinions on which brand is best but in the past I've used Bel Ray foam filter oil, Yamaha foam filter oil, and Maxima foam filter oil with excellent results.

If your subframe is just slightly bent it should be pretty easy to straighten it. The fender should centered over the rear wheel.

rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
whyzee,

you made your point about my bike, but heres the facts...the bikes is now mine, and better deals or not, this is what I own. Anyhow, a 2000 frame would be a nice addition, if you can hook me up with one cool, let me know. I had the welds inspected today by a pro shop, and they said the welds are better than the original factory welds. So things could be worse.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
R-dog , You could always buy a newer frame on eBay,they are for sale sometimes,as are a lot of other parts you might need....Ride the bike , keep an eye on the welds , and have fun.......

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
rottie,
I'm not dogging your bike at all, just want you to be careful on it and keep an eye on the modification.

My second post was more at the "ride -n- have fun" comments of others. You will need to keep close watch on the condition of the bike for as long as you own it. and you will encounter a difficult time when you go to resell it (it's a learning process, we all go through it)
Next set of YZ's I bring in I'll pull the best frame out & put your name on it.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
condition***
Next time I get a 2000 - 2001 frame available, I'll give you a heads up.

Obviously, these frames will interchange from many years back. Thanks for the tip.....This could be an interesting winter!

rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
whyzee,
I didnt mean to come off as defensive, and really appreciate your advice. Fact of the matter is your posts got me really thinking about the frame, and motivated me to get off my arse, and see just what I purchased. A new frame would make my girlfriend feel alot better....shes so safety conscious....she musta been a safety patrol in grade school or something.

Anyhow, let me know when ya get a frame in...and thanks.

rottiedog

Mar 16, 2004
Rcannon...thanks for keeping me in mind.

whyzee...I sorta have my eye on that alum subframe you have for sale, if you had a frame that would make a nice combo. Funny thing is I was looking at that subframe yesterday, and didnt even know you were the seller...small world.

my email is rottiedog_jcs@juno.com

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
rottie, we are all good! :thumb:

I've got a 2002 frame sitting here in the shop that the buyer used the "buy it now" option but never paid. (I just don't understand that :| )
Thing is though nothing on your bike will fit that 02 frame.
I'd be more than happy to fix you up with the 01 sub-frame, or anything else I have; just let me know.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
My points exactly...i thought that the newframe welds where better than the factory welds!
It would be absolutely great to get a new frame though.......Enjoy your bike!!
Any chance i could do a similar conversion on my cr250....its a 1994-5(Would a 01frame fit directly on without a conversion?)
GREAT TOPIC GUYS!

Top Bottom