jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
i just picked up my new bike a 99 KDX220, sweet bike, has all kinds of mods done to it, a picture of the bike is actually posted on the justkdx website under readers rides, it's the third one down, :)

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
cool! I hope you like the bike... it used to be mine! I sold it awhile back when I bought a new KTM. I really liked the KDX. In fact, I plan to buy another one in the spring.

good luck with it!

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
yea they are still there, very nice, you didn't leave many mods left that i can do to it, lol, yea Dave the guy i bought it from said it was yours, very nice, thanks, Ben

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
yeah, I'm jealous. I wish I still had the bike. Now I have to do all those mods again! The shock re-valve was the worst. It only cost me like 7 bucks plus the oil but it was a pain in the %*#. LOL

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by JCV 220R
The shock re-valve was the worst. It only cost me like 7 bucks plus the oil but it was a pain in the %*#. LOL

What type of re-valve did you do for $7 ??

Do you guys have any pictures of the disc guard?

Thanks, Jeff

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
There's really nothing wrong with the piston in a KDX shock but the valving itself is pretty out of whack. I merely took it apart (which involves grinding the factory "peening" from the end of the shock shaft - real easy to wreck it), removed some of the shims and added some others. My intent was to get rid of that jerky "kick" from sharp edged bumps and it worked really well. I bought the shims and a new shock shaft lock-nut (the old one pretty much gets ground away) from MX Tuner for $7.

The term "re-valve" doesn't always mean swapping expensive parts. I had Race Tech Gold Valves in the fork on my KDX and on a few occassions I took them apart to "re-valve" because I wasn't completely satisfied with the present valve stack. It's just a bunch of shims of different diameters and thicknesses used to create resistence while moving through the oil.

Not being any expert on this myself, I got a lot of help from my friend, DRN member MN KDXer.

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
wow, sounds like there is a lot to reworking the forks, did you do that to the rear shock too?, did Dave the guy you sold your bike to and the guy i bought it from tell you he had the carb done up by RB designs, i plan on having the exhuast ports ported and and head modifications done by FRP :) the rear wheel bearings need to be replaced so when i take the rear wheel off i'll get a picture of the rear brake guard and post it

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
The fork work was a piece of cake... that's where I installed the Gold Valves. The tougher job was doing the shock.

I knew Dave did the carb mod.

I have heard you have to run race gas after the head mod... others here will know for sure.

Are you knew to KDX's? If so, ride yours then ride a stock bike. You'll be amazed at the power but much more amazed at the suspension.

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
i had a 91 KDX200 with the usual mods, i crashed it hard, hit someone head on, came up over a hill didn't see them, it destroyed the front end of my bike, forks, front wheel, and cracked the right side engine case and clutch cover case, would've cost more to fix it then what the bike was worth, so i'm in the proccess of selling it for parts and recovering from a broken thumb, the guy i hit broke his right femer, ouch, i probably won't have the head done if you have to run race gas but i might have the cylinder ported

KDXrider61

Nov 6, 2002
I have a question for anyone who can answer it. I ride a 99 KDX 200 as well, and my dad rides a 00 DRZ 400. We switch bikes often and he needs a much stiffer suspension setting than me. i weigh a whopping 135 pounds, and he is more in the 220 range. i'm only 5'7 in height and he's 6'2 in height, do you think there is any compramise between us?

The bike suspension is pretty much stock, the only real mods are after market piston, FMF knarly pipe and procircuit 304 silencer, Renthal bars.

if you can help that would be nice. thanks.

KDXrider61

Nov 6, 2002
i like the setup, nothing really wrong with it, the raised bars and adjusted levers actually forced me to sit more agressive. It's just if I hit that bump the right way, i get thrown off course or off the bike.

But if we soften the suspension much more than it is, it's way to soft for my dad. Thats the dilema we are having right now.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom