MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks to GoSpeedRacer & Santa Claus I now have a Garmin GPS III+ that I plan to mount on the bike and also use in the truck. Does anyone have a good source of maps, coordinates, etc. Hints, suggestions etc?

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
I got a GPSIII+ recently as well. Really cool piece of gear but I am just scratching the surface on how to use it well. Loads o' features. The Garmin website has a nice downloadable pdf document called GPS basics. The video that you can get from Garmin wasn't worth much to me. For maps I got the USGS Parks and Recreation Topo CD's. It's fun to load a mapset, go ride a long loop and then download it back to the computer. The external antenna is the key for never losing signal. I don't mount my expensive techno toy to the bars.

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
I have a Garmin GPS III + mounted on a TTR 250. I wired a cigarette lighter recepticle so I can use the bikes electrical system for power rather than batteries. I have purchased the Garmin Topo maps off Ebay. I down loaded the areas that I am going to riding into the GPS unit and am very impressed on how complete they are. CRX

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Seems I read something in Dirt Bike a while back about using GPS on rides. They had the Garmin like you got, TTRGuy, but they had it "hardened" to withstand a little more of the abuse it will endure when mounted to a bike. If they didn't, the unit would shake its innards apart early.

something to consider . . . :think

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
I've got a cool way to mount the GPS and route the external antenna. A friend of mine makes seats and gearbags for snomobiles. He made me a cool rear fender pack that has a padded compartment for the GPS. I then route the external antenna lead ($20) under the seat along the frame to the handlebars. The antenna is connected to the lead and bolted to the barmounts. Clean, safe and I never lose signal. If people are interested in this kind of fender pack, I know he is interested in making more to sell.

Anywho.. thats how I do it.

Top Bottom