knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
I've searched threads and found great information regarding GPS units being used and various mount systems. The Threads are somewhat dated-so I submit the following for more current input:

Should I get a mount or not?

I see the virtue of putting the GPS in a back pack to keep from damaging it. However, it is a pain to get the pack off multiple times to check coordinates say during a Poker Run.... I ride primarily in the Desert...but plan to ride Kennedy Meadows this summer too.

There are some good mount options that some of you have expressed your partiality too- one in particular looks to be a premium build with a lock...also a premium price $120 - $179 depending on GPS model.

Does the "heads up Display" afforded by a bar mount outweigh the risk of damage sustained to the unit in a fall/unexpected get off? In short, How fragile are these units when contained on the bar mount?

I appreciate your input regarding your own GPS experiences.

Ken

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Ken:

Multiple crashes and my GPS and mount have survived all but one of them. The mount had a tab bent back in one crash that rendered the mount useless without zipties.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 76CS and use RAM mounting hardware. I got my stuff from Tourtech via Cyco Active.

Believe me, one ride with the GPS on your bars and you will never want to carry it in your backpack.

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
Make your own!
I make it a point to spend money on tools instead of gadgets. buy the time you've skipped buying a few things you'll have what you need to start making some of your own parts.
I guess this reply may get deleted. I just don't see many people doing the dyi thing in this forum. once you start playing around making crap you'll start to realize that a lot of the high dollar stuff consists of no more than $10 of material and a half hour of fabrication.

You may even be suprized. You could come up with the next great idea. Really how hard is it to attach a gps to your bike??? Does it really require $100+ for something that basic.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
[
QUOTE=oilspot]Make your own!
I make it a point to spend money on tools instead of gadgets
I like the way you think :cool: I don't own or have access to a welder that will tack aluminum [or any other metal]...

once you start playing around making crap you'll start to realize that a lot of the high dollar stuff consists of no more than $10 of material and a half hour of fabrication.
Amen!

You may even be suprized. You could come up with the next great idea. Really how hard is it to attach a gps to your bike??? Does it really require $100+ for something that basic.
Again, I like the way you think!

Thanks
Ken

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
[
QUOTE=Tony Eeds]Ken:
Multiple crashes and my GPS and mount have survived all but one of them. The mount had a tab bent back in one crash that rendered the mount useless without zipties.
I have a Garmin GPSmap 76CS and use RAM mounting hardware. I got my stuff from Tourtech via Cyco Active.
Believe me, one ride with the GPS on your bars and you will never want to carry it in your backpack.
[/QUOTE]

Tony- I read your thread from awhile back regarding the garmin and the RAM mounting system... I was hoping to hear that you still thought it was a good system...The tourtech is a stout looking system...one that I would think would keep the GPS from bouncing away in flight....

$39 for the mount is " mui Beuno" and based on your experience, I will purchase.

I found a Garmin 76 csx for $333 online from gpsnerds.

Thanks again,

Ken

motogps

Dec 31, 2005
This is what I use.
untitled.jpg

miketango71

Apr 6, 2007
Motogps- I like that mount.
If I ever get a 4-wheeler, I might get one like that.
I just bought a 5.00 case and zip tied it to my chest protector.
I have a Garmin Rino 120.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
knowiam:

Just curious, what GPS poker runs do you participate in? Do you belong to a club?

I am looking to join some sort of club so I can ride family enduros, GPS fun events, etc.

Rod

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
motogps said:
This is what I use.
untitled.jpg

Careful with this. I have the same model GPS in a RAM mount pointed forward of the bars like that. Just crashed in the woods and smashed the gps on a tree. Broke the antenna off and part of the case. It is now junk.

Phil

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I have a Garmin GPS, its an Etrek or something like that. It was less than 80.00. I bought a Garmin brand handlebar mount on **** for like 5.00 and it works great. Works on 1 1/8 and 7/8 bars. It has survived many crashes. One tip if you get that one though, put a small piece of paper between the batteries and the battery door because the vibration will make the batteries loos contact. But my set up works flawlessly, its water proof and it lights up for about 85.00.

Top Bottom