ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
I am wondering two things i havent found definate answers on w/searches.

1.) is it a good idea to pry off the seal of a wheel bearing to regrease it or is it the best idea to replace. since the cr has three rear bearings i could only get two of them and if i hammer one out im thinking its best not to reuse if i tried to get all three greased

2.) is there such a thing as fork seal grease or is this regular wp grease which i take it as going under the dust wiper i guess to help keep out contaminates from the forks

thank for any help in advance

L+O

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
In the past I used to take out the seals and bearings to clean and grease them but found out rather quickly that by doing that you can prematurely wear out the seals faster. And it is not good to hammer out a bearing just to regrease. Heck, it is bad enough to over tighten the rear axle nut, so use a torque wrench. The abuse that the bearing goes through during the install process is torture enough. Honda uses sealed bearings and it is not necessary to regrease them but I do make sure that every time that I take the wheel off I make sure that the bearing spins smooth and just clean out the seal the best I can with a tiny screwdriver and a clean rag. Then I work the grease as far in and around the seal as best I can. This should be done at least after everytime you wash the bike. As far as the forks go, I clean out the wipers with a film negative and when they get re-built I apply a little multi-purpose grease in between the wipers and the seals to keep out most of the dirt from getting in.

Nov 11, 2001
What Ive done to my sx250 and my buddy's wr400 is I drill and tap the center of the hub, and put in a grease nipple. then you have to put a very small hole in the bearing seal so that the grease pressure doesn't push it off, then every ride or every onther ride pump it once and you can see fresh grease coming out from the outside seal. works awesome and bearings lasted forever like this.

Ben

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom