mike_h

Nov 9, 2000
I'm needing to grease the wheel bearings on my new wheel. It has a Talon hub and I was wondering if any of you knew the procedures for getting the seals off and packing grease into the bearings. Thank you for your help. Ooh, I almost forgot, it is the front wheel that I am doing this to. And what type of grease would you recommend for this job?

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Good question

I replaced the wheel bearings on my bike recently and I found that the bearings were only packed with grease on one side. I put that side toward the inside of the hub. I assumed that the outer side wasn't packed with grease so it wouldn't collect dirt and because the bearing is shielded from that side - again to keep dirt away from the balls. Did I assume right?

So I was also wondering - since the bearings are only greased on the inside - how can they be repacked with grease without removing/replacing them?

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
The seals will come out very easily by prying them out with a screw driver.

The hub has a sleeve sandwiched between a bearing at each side. The prescribed method for removing the first bearing is to insert a rod from the other side through the bearing and sleeve and then catch the inside of the bearing you are trying to remove.

Because everything fits so tight, I wasn't able to get a good hold of the bearing. So I ended up prying the first bearing out with a screw driver just like the seal.

Then the sleeve will fall out and you can knock the last bearing out using a rod.

When you insert the bearings, the side that has printing on it should be on the outside. Like I mentioned, I found that only the side without the printing was packed with grease.

MBFTY

Uhhh...
May 4, 2001
It happens

Sometimes bearings can get stuck to the housing for many reason...

If you get your bearing out and it breaks, chances are it will leave the outer race in place. If this happens, you can heat the hub. Then chisel the race out carefully, so you dont scratch the hub.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the wheel bearings on every bike I've worked on have been sealed (ie. non greasable), but there was grease packed around the spacer partly to keep it lined up when installing the axle and partly to provide lubrication for the axle. If you have a stuck bearing put a little heat on the hub before you beat the bearing apart, it's much easier to get the bearing out in one piece than it is to try and remove just the outer race. Good Luck.

mike_h

Nov 9, 2000
I just got a new Talon hub, which I am interested in getting the bearings out of. Can I use a screwdriver to get the bearing out by inserting it in one side and using a mallet to pop the opposite side bearing out? I have tried to get the seals off, but am either too timid with my new wheel, or am prying from the wrong part. If one of you know where to pry the seal from could you share this with me. Also, does the sleeve slide out pretty easily with one or more bearings out of the hub? Thank you for your time.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Mike, where do you live? I'm up in Lawrenceville and I'd be glad to help you. You could also talk to Jim at Proline Motorsports at Gwinnett Place Mall. They'll remove your bearings (and install the new ones if you want) for $16.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
chances are if you think you need to repack the rear bearings they arne't in that great of shape. The seals come out easily, just insert screwdriver under seal and pry. As for the bearings just use a punch to get the first one out, then pull out the spacer and punch out the other. Bearings shouldn't be all that expensive (say maybe $10 per side). Good Luck.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Wheel bearings, when removed are damaged and should not be re-used..period.
Having said that, the only thing you could do is to pick out the seal with a very fine screwdriver on the outside only and pack some grease in there.

Bearings are very cheap...if you are going to all this trouble buy new ones.
Try www.bossbearing.com

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
I'm not sure about a Talon hub but stock KTM hubs utilize a circlip on the brake side. You will see it after you remove the seal, IF used on a Talon. Just beware before you apply any inordinate force to your expensive hub. The seal(s) should just pop right out using the same method as lowering your fork wipers as an example.

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
Just to be clear on this, these are new bearings in the new hub, right? You don't really need to grease them if they are, they will already have grease in them. I know some people think that the factories don't put enough grease in the bearings, so they add more( I have done this myself).

Like Peer said, though, the bearings will be ruined if you take them out of the hub, so you will either have to buy new ones and add the grease before you install them, or just run the ones you have as they are until its time to change them out. Then you can grease the new ones before you put them in.

If you do add grease to the bearings, don't pack them completely full. Leave some space inside the bearing or they will "weep" when you ride the bike, and possibly even pop the seals out of place. You don't need to worry about this if the bearings only have a seal on one side.

Use an extreme pressure, water-proof grease.

Have fun!

Top Bottom