Quick help! Front wheel (doesnt roll well)

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I noticed last night after giving my bike a once over for this weekends ride that the front wheel is pretty "frictiony" when you freely spin it. It's like theres no lube and it's metal against metal.
What exactly do I need to do? Could the bearings be shot? How much do wheel bearings cost? OR do I just need to grease something? If I need to grease it, what kind of grease?

Kasjok

Apr 20, 2006
Maybe your front break is on? If thats not the thing then it`s your bearings. Get the wheel off and check if your bearings are ok, there`s not much of a point to grease them. They are realy cheap so just buy yourself new ones.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Kasjok said:
Maybe your front break is on? If thats not the thing then it`s your bearings. Get the wheel off and check if your bearings are ok, there`s not much of a point to grease them. They are realy cheap so just buy yourself new ones.

Well it's definately not the brake. I'll just go pick up some new bearings after i get off work.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
okay, called around and nobody has them in stock untill monday. Am i going to screw anything up if I go riding this weekend w/ shot bearings? I'm only riding trails for a few hours tomorrow. Will I be cool unitl monday if i ride?

Kasjok

Apr 20, 2006
I don`t think there`s going to be any major damage. The biggest(and the only?) risk is that bearings will start spining in their paces, holes(sorry, i don`t know hot to say it in english).

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Kasjok said:
I don`t think there`s going to be any major damage. The biggest(and the only?) risk is that bearings will start spining in their paces, holes(sorry, i don`t know hot to say it in english).

So I'll only really dammage the bearings if anything. Right?

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
If the bearings seize, you can plan on a new axle if your very far out when it happens. Did you just try dealers for the bearings? You should be able to find them at a bearing house...in stock and cheaper.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
dezryder said:
If the bearings seize, you can plan on a new axle if your very far out when it happens. Did you just try dealers for the bearings? You should be able to find them at a bearing house...in stock and cheaper.

I called every dealer in austin and no one has them. I did call one place and the guy said that i can bring them in and he'll see if he has any that will match. (didnt have the part # on hand)

I'll have to take the wheel off tonight and see if thats actually whats causing it. When I spin it, it might make 2 revolutions and then stop but it's making that metal to metal sound when its spinning.

And where/what is a bearing house?

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
I think you're on the right track with thinking it's bearings. If you get the bearings out, you can take one to a bearing house, (A biz that sells all types of bearings...look in yellow pages under bearings)and they can match it by the numbers on the bearing or by measuring. And at a significant savings over your yamaha dealer.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
dezryder said:
I think you're on the right track with thinking it's bearings. If you get the bearings out, you can take one to a bearing house, (A biz that sells all types of bearings...look in yellow pages under bearings)and they can match it by the numbers on the bearing or by measuring. And at a significant savings over your yamaha dealer.

I checked around and the only place in Austin is a mojor corp that actually makes/distributes the bearings. I'll see what i can come up with. I actually ordered some but they said they wont be in until next week. Maybe i can get lucky and find some tonight locally.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would recommend at least taking the bearings out, inspecting them and re-packing them. If the bearings look okay, no pits or scarring, then you should be fine for a weekend.

If the bearings look bad, all pitted or obviously damaged then I wouldn't ride. If the bearing siezes then the axel will be damaged, and you might end up walking home. Note that if the bearing totally goes you won't be able to tow the bike so if you are in a place where you can't get your truck/trailer then you might be in a world of hurt.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Well after all of the hastle and searching for bearings, I took the front wheel apart Friday night and noticed that it wasnt the bearings at all. They are in perfect condition, seems like I still had an excessive amount of mud caked on the axel and my brake pads are rusted. Thats what is actually causing most of the noise. I cleaned everything and put it back on, now the wheel will spin for minutes instead of seconds but I still have the annoying metal to metal noise as most of it is comming from the brake pads.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get that to stop sqeaking?

Top Bottom