EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
I am aware of the difference in the California Green and Red stickers but are there ever Enduro or CC events in District 36 where a Red sticker was not allowed?

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Always allowed as far as my experience. Be prepared for 96db (101db if national event) and you will need a spark arrestor

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by EnduroDude
I am aware of the difference in the California Green and Red stickers but are there ever Enduro or CC events in District 36 where a Red sticker was not allowed?

No, Enduros & CCs are competition events so there isan exemption for red sticker bikes. Besides who runs events in the summer?

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Depending on where you are riding, some areas may be closed to Red Sticker bikes well before the summer months. That being said, like FJ mentioned, the enduros are closed course so Red Sticker bikes can participate.

Here is a list of the Red Sticker dates for California riding areas:
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21928

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
You guys may want to contact your local law enforcement. I spoke to a BLM law enforcement guy who told me that they had been directed NOT to enforce the red sticker restrictions. He said the whole thing was about to be repealed as it was never codified in CA law. However, he did say that some of the state parks still enforce it.

Jimbo

CERAChris

May 22, 2002
Under the Red Sticker rules, all competition events are OK to run with Red Stickers, regardless of location and time of year. The Red Stickers have not yet been codified, but many riding areas are enforcing them as required by the California OHV commission. Areas that don't enforce the Red/Green sticker restrictions are susceptible to losing their OHV funding from that group. As with many rules, individual agencies are making their own decisions as to what they will enforce.

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by MCassle
Here is a list of the Red Sticker dates for California riding areas:
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21928

Thanks for the URL, Looks like I won't be ridding during those time anyway!

EnduroDude

Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by Lew
Always allowed as far as my experience. Be prepared for 96db (101db if national event) and you will need a spark arrestor

Thanks for the info, I will be running the FMF Q and thick wall Gnarly, if that don't pass I won't know what to do...

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Hollister claims they will be enforcing the red sticker law this summer, not sure about Carnegie or Prairie City though

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Per a ranger at Miami Creek (Sierra National Forest), they aren't enforcing for now. And his department wasn't going to start unless they were forced to. He was aware, however, that SVRA's like Hollister were going to start enforcing in 2003, and he warned me that other state-run areas might do so as well. His only concerns were that bikes were registered period, and that riders were riding responsibly & respecting the park. I was very surprised by how cool he was.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Wow Zio, you managed to find a ranger at Maimi Creek?! I have only been up there a handful of times, including with you ;), but I have never seen a ranger. Did you stop at the Forest Service station in Oakhurst?

BTW, still on for this Saturday @ Clear Creek if you grow a pair & can make it :) Muhahahaha!!!

Matt

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
Here's a Green Sticker/Red Sticker question... If your bike has a tag on it, then it is automatically green stickered.&nbsp; So, why can't you just get a tag for your bike and be done with it?&nbsp; The bike doesn't necessarily have to be street legal (i.e. horn, lights, turn signals, etc.) unless you plan on riding it on the road.&nbsp; Am I wrong with this thinking?

Jimbo

&nbsp;

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
You know.... I have yet to meet anyone who was not allowed to ride somewhere because of a red sticker. I looked at the riding schedules for red stickers and they are ridiculous. Some of them are only good from December to January. I just can't believe no red sticker bikes are allowed any other times. After all, there are only a small handful of bikes that rate a green sticker.

Jimbo

crdaug

Feb 19, 2002
fyi- the red sticker "law" has been "codified" in the california code of regulations. It has not been enacted into a law in the sense that it was put before the assembly or state senate but it does exist. From what I can figure out, it is a regulation that has the effect of a law by the commision approval alone. It is the same thing that happens with the fish and game reulations and some of the smog stuff. So it is on the books and completely enforceable if an agency chooses to do so. If anyone has info that the regulation has expired or been repealed please let me know, I have not researched the issue for some time.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by Jimbokdx
Here's a Green Sticker/Red Sticker question... If your bike has a tag on it, then it is automatically green stickered.&nbsp; So, why can't you just get a tag for your bike and be done with it?&nbsp; The bike doesn't necessarily have to be street legal (i.e. horn, lights, turn signals, etc.) unless you plan on riding it on the road.&nbsp; Am I wrong with this thinking?

Jimbo

&nbsp;

Jimbo, you are correct that street registered bikes can go anywhere a green sticker bike can go. Unfortunately, red sticker bikes are (in theory) prohibited from getting street plates. While many have succeeded in getting street plates for red sticker bikes by various methods, the DMV is not supposed to allow it. Luckily, bureaucratic incompetence can work in a rider's favor, sometimes. ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
There are a whole lot of grey areas, inconsistant rules and enforcment on getting plate for a bike that should be a red sticker.

You will see quite a few out of state plates at dirt oriented dual sport rides. Certainly people do it without problems, but that doesn't mean it is 100% legal in all situations. After all, anytime a CA resident prevents the state from getting some $$, it is probably against some law. ;)

I have heard of some people registering their bike out of state as a street legal bike, then 'moving' to CA. Apparently, it is easier to get a CA plate if the bike has been street registered somewhere else.

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
I don't think anyone is trying to cheat CA out of any $$ (although they try their best to cheat me out of mine!!). I just want to get around the stupid red sticker rules. CA has no honest intention of improving any environmental issues by the red/green sticker rules. The environmental lobby just wants to attack a small (and relatively weak) lobby whenever they can. This is obvious by all the regulations for SUV's in CA. Why some guy driving a KIA SUV that gets about 25-30 mpg is an environmental offender to CA is beyond me. Especially when I drive a Dodge Ram Pickup and I get about 14 mpg on a good day.

CA would be a great place to live if it weren't for the stupidity and inconsistency of the legistature/governor.

Jimbo

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by Jimbokdx
CA would be a great place to live if it weren't for the stupidity and inconsistency of the legistature/governor.
Jimbo

Amen, brother Jimbo. Don't forget CARB and the non-elected bureaucrats. Some of the onerous rules and regulations we face never had to go across the Gov's desk, including the red sticker program. Apparently, if a bureaucrat claims it improves air quality, they can do whatever they want. Common sense and individual rights be damned.

Top Bottom