grey oil under kips cover, kdx 220

daz59

Jul 7, 2005
Hi,

I bought a KDX220 98 a couple of weeks ago, it seems to use a little water, also there is grey ish oil covering the side of the engine under the kips cover, does that mean the coolant water is leaking into the cylinder?

Thanks

hog

Nov 13, 2001
The oil has always been very black under that cover on mine. Check the radiator. Look for small back specks like pepper in the coolant. That will indicate the combustion process is leaking into the coolant. Check the overflow if the bike boils easy and loses coolant combinded with black specks in the coolant its time to pull the head.

daz59

Jul 7, 2005
There is a puddle of black oil that sits in the cover when I take it off, but there is some thicker grey oil stuck on the side of the engine also...I will empty the radiator to see if there is any black stuff in it.

Are the head gaskets very expensive?

hog

Nov 13, 2001
Thick black oil in the KIPS is normal. Grey on the side I cannot explain. You should not have to drain the radiators just pop off the cap and see if little black specs in the coolant. If none then close it back up.

Using a little water? KDX220s can boil if pushed very hard. Is it boiling out the overflow?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom