wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
when i got my kx a while back the oil came out grey and kind of clumpy. I heard that this could be the result of water from the cooling system. How could this water get in there? Through the head some how? or could this just be a result of it sitting for a long period of time say a couple years? What ever it could be could some one help me out to what the problem may be and how to fix it? :think:

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
First of all, change the oil. After a ride or two, change it again. If it's still "milky" then it is coolant getting into the oil. Probably through a bad waterpump seal, not a gasket. If it's not milky, then it may only be from sitting or someone taking it on a very wet ride.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
If it is milky as mentioned before, coolant. If it is greyish, almost metallic it is more than likely you have aluminum plates in your clutch as opposed to steel. CR's used aluminum for years and the oil in them contaminates instanly like an old diesel. Switch to steel and the oil will stay clean, although the aluminum plates aren't going to hurt anything (you just have to change oil more often)

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i have noticed that my head gasket is a little moist though. I cant really tell of any coolant level changes unless i almost fill it to the over flow tube and then it will leak at the hose that goes into the head. If the coolant is leaking into the head do you think it will do any damage? Or will it just evaporate with the explosion of every thing else? If this is threatining do you think all i would have to do is change my head gasket? Hey thanks for the previous help, it really works :thumb:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
A blown head gasket will smoke like Dennis Leary, a bunch.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
As long as the oil is one color, not milky, and you're not losing coolant don't worry. With my old cr it seemed that within minutes of an oil change it'd stop being red and more towards grey...and after a moto it'd be black. Even has steel plates and never lost a drop of coolant. I can just imagine what the guy that bought is going to think the first time he goes to change the oil and it's blacker than night.

kevkx125uk

Nov 4, 2005
hi every one i need a bit of advice as well on my kx 125 i dropped the oil it was a creamy colour?checked coolant level has not budged a mm?what could it it be bike has stood for a 4 month period without been started would that affect the oil colour?need to sort problem out before i get back into my riding this year cheers. :ride:

OZKX250

Aug 26, 2005
PROBABLY MOISTURE BUILD UP IN THE CASES. oops,
drain oil
flush engine with kerosine
flush with more oil
refill with new oil
and ride....
All should be better.

Hopefully.....
Good luck...

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
This post captured my attention as I too have grey metallic oil.
There is no water in my oil, I am not loosing coolant. My oil is grey from aluminum. I can see the small flakes. I do not have aluminum clutch plates, I have steel. I changed 'em myself in October. I am concerned where the aluminum is coming from. Anyone have any ideas? I change my oil about evey 3 rides, it always, always comes out grey. I ride about once a week regularly, the oil is always fresh. Everything on the bike runs perfect, there are no clutch or transmission problems. There are no chunks in the oil. Only that one time when the clutch exploded last fall. I had the inner most fiber disc break into many pieces.

Now that I have typed this out, I am beginning to think that the aluminum is residual from the clutch failure last fall. I did not flush out the crank case when I put in the new clutch. Stupid me.

Keith
1993 CR265R

kevkx125uk

Nov 4, 2005
cheers bud give it a try also need to sort the kick start out as well slips the odd time what shall i check when i take side casing off?a mate of mine said you can preload the spring does anyone know how to do this?he we go.... :ride:

Top Bottom