grinding noise in my rear shock/swing arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennycr250

Aug 16, 2005
There is a grinding noise in my rear shock/ swingarm somewhere. It sounds like rocks are grinding in there when I compress the shock down and release it back up. It wasn't doing it until I went to put it away after changing the trans oil and air filter. Any ideas of whats wrong? Is the shock done for? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to the desert tonight and plan on fixing it when I get back. Anyone think thats a bad idea? Let me know, thx.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Sounds like the linkage/lower shock bearings are shot. When you lift up on the rear of the bike, is there a clunk soud just before the rear wheel comes off the ground? That's a good sign the bearings are shot. I wouldn't ride it until it's fixed. It might work OK but you can destory things which could make it difficult to take apart.

kennycr250

Aug 16, 2005
yeah, it makes that sound when I lift it up. I lifted it a couple of times trying to shake it around and the sound went away for a few seconds but eventually came back. So you think thats the problem? Thanks for the response bro.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'd say you've identified the problem. Pivot Works makes nice kits of replacement bearings, seals, spacers, etc that are normally cheaper the OEM and they have everything you need. They sell 3 different kits for swingarm, linkage and shock bearings. You probably need all three. There is nothing worse than thinking you have all of the OEM parts (you have to buy them seperatly) only to find out you either got a wrong part or not enough of something.

kennycr250

Aug 16, 2005
thanks dude, i'll definately replace all the bearings. I was checking out some prices and it doesn't look like it will be to bad on the ol' wallet. Thanks again for your help

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Please don't post the same question in more than one forum.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom