Swarm

Jun 14, 2004
I just recently purchased a 2002 kdx 220r a month ago.

I am having a real blast with this bike :) . Since it's my first....

I was looking for some help. I have been trying to locate
some guarding for the bike.

Specifically frame guards, rotor and even possibly a
factory pipe guard.

Can anyone help me out. I check out eline and they said that they only made frame guards for the KX 250.

Are the two frame the same?

If any one could help me out it would be great :)

Thanks,

Swarm

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
I've got Works Connection frame and radiator guards and there are pipe guards that can be bent into the shape of the pipe--Moose, MSR, etc. I would definitely invest in the radiator guards too since rads are ~$300 list. DeVol also makes an assortment of guards.

Best,
Greg

Swarm

Jun 14, 2004
Hi, JasonWho. No I didn't check out that thread that you mentoned. Iam sort of a newbie to the whole forum thing. So i have been trying to coast my way threw all the threads. I am sort of lost with all of it. I will check ouot those website that you had listed.

What's with the Avatar? how can I get one?

Swarm

Jun 14, 2004
gwhII,

Thanks for the info. I will check out the Works site.

I really should have pick up a pipe guard. Now that I have a huge ding put into from my Saturday ride. :(

Oh well. :) I guess I will have to buy an aftermarket pipe! ;)

Any recomdomations?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Hey, no problem, swarm.

Here're are some good sites:
www.worksconnection.com
www.mooseracing.com
www.mxsouth.com

and especially justkdx.dirtrider.net like Jason mentioned. It'll tell you what to look at for maintenance and what modifications really work. I'd also agree with Jason's point that money spent on your suspension first is much better than upping the power. I sorted my suspension first and then added the go-fast goodies and would do it again in that order.

In regards to pipes, a bunch of us run fMf Gnarlies of some type but their quality control isn't the greatest. I had it relatively easy mounting my Gnarly Desert pipe, just had to make a small spacer and use a longer bolt on one hanger. I want to try a PC pipe one of these days but the metal is thinner so some kind of pipe guard is going to be a must. Rejetting and a different reed cage/reeds made a world of difference too.

I still say that my KDX is the best tinkertoy I've ever owned. :-)

Best,
Greg

P.S. You get to have an avatar if you subscribe to the dirtrider website.

nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
Swarm - I used the e-Line pipe guard and really like it... it was a little pricy ($105), but i'm not concerned in the least bit (about my pipe) when riding in rocky areas. I also bought the Devol skid/glide plate. It has "wings" that help cover the side cases and it also came with a water pump guard. I also agree with gwhII - get some radiator braces. I use the ones from Works Connection and they were a snap to install.

I actually went the power route first - FMF Gnarly pipe, FMF silencer, and Power Reeds - but am now working on the suspension. I am in the process of replacing my fork springs to match my size and riding scenarios. I hope to have them finished by this weekend, so i'll let you know how it goes.

DCMan

Jun 2, 2001
I also went the power route first. FMF pipe and S/A, power reeds. Then when I did the suspesnsion (springs & gold valvs) wow, what a difference. They let you carry more speed over whoops and into corners, and jump higher. Well worth it.

If your stock pipe is really bad, I have my 2001 stock pipe on a shelf in my garage. It's yours for the taking. I'm in Ajax, so just send me a private message if you need it.

billc

Mar 13, 2004
guards

My (used)2000 KDX220 came with Acerbis frame & fork/rotor guards.I have looked for new ones with no luck.Came with a nice skid plate too(?brand). I did buy Works Connection frame guards to replace the plastic but I would like to get some new fork/rotor guards;maybe they aren't available anymore....?

rbernie

Jun 22, 2004
I just got a Works Connection skid plate, and it came with an open-cell foam pad. What exactly am I supposed to do with this pad, and why?

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
I believe it's for filling up the dead space between the plate and the bottom of the engine so that it won't fill up with mud/etc.

Best,
Greg

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If I remember correctly, UFO makes the front fork guards available from FRP and maybe others.

The "foam" is to keep the mud out of the skid plate area - saves you weight and frustration. Mine is still stuffed in the front of the skid plate after about two years!

Cheers John

Top Bottom