Hand guards....what do yall suggest

ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
I have a bike that I want to set up for woods and trails riding.

Been kinda shopping for hand guards, there are too many flavors, mounting kits, etc for me to choose since I have never owned any and can't readily recognize the differences.

I would prefer to have some that when I fall they help keep the clutch lever from mashing my fingers into the bar......I think you know what I am trying to say here....

Thanks for any suggestions.........

rtb

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Aluminum will give you the strongest protection. Put plastic covers over them for brush protection. Enduro Engineering is one of the top names for guards.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
KTM 950 Adventure guards fit my R1150R like they were made for it, course that ain't gonna help you much but they keep my fingers warm.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I believe Cycra, a new one from Enduro Eng., and Acerbis all make ones with a "u" shape at the grip end. This is helpful for getting your hands off in a hurry.The standard ones can trap you in, and brake fingers.........take my word for it. ;)

BLACKeR

Oct 30, 2007
cycra. i just put a set of these on my CR it was the easiest, most straight forward installation of any hand guard i had ever used. they also look and work great. i just bought the "racer pack" it came with all the required mounting hardware, and everything fit great.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
truespode said:
I have had good luck with Enduro Engineer and Cycra.

Ivan

Ditto. I currently have both options on different bikes.

Moose and MSR guards used to be made by EE. I am not sure if that is still true.

I have never felt the need for the u-shaped guard at the end of the bars. I currently have both, on different bikes, and don't even notice the difference. However, the u-shaped mounting brackets are a great idea. They offer more adjustment regarding lever height/position.

If you have tapered bars on your bike shop carefully as mounting brakets are not interchangeable with different brands of bars. The guards will also fit poorly if you cut down the width of your tapered bars.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…