Jun 2, 2005
Hey Guys, Just wondering about what brands everyone likes of the handlebars these days. Pro Taper or the TAG or the Renthal Fat Bars. I have the clamp for the oversized bars. Just wanted to get everyones opinion. Thanks!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I was very impressed with my Renthal 7/8 bars on my old bike. My current bike has Answer oversize bars. I don't think you can go wrong with Pro Taper (the expensive model, not the contour) or Renthal Fat bars. Everyone seems to be happy with them.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Bent too many sets of 7/8 Renthal. I have the Tag oversized bars and they haven't failed me yet.

Spoolin

Jun 10, 2005
Pro Taper

SpeedyManiac said:
I was very impressed with my Renthal 7/8 bars on my old bike. My current bike has Answer oversize bars. I don't think you can go wrong with Pro Taper (the expensive model, not the contour) or Renthal Fat bars. Everyone seems to be happy with them.

Its funny you should mention that, because I was wondering the difference between the taperwall and contours, so I emailed Pro Taper with this:

"I was wondering the difference between your Pro Taper Taperwall bars and your new Contour Pro Taper bars. They seem to price 89.99 for the taperwall bar, and somewhere around 69.99 for the contours at local bike shops. However, none of them can give me a really good answer on what the difference is between the two bars. Is one stronger? Lighter? Better?"

And I got this reply:

"Hey thanks for the question. Our contour bars are the new line of pro taper bars. They are lighter and stronger then the taperwalls. The reason for the price different is that we found a different manufacture to make the bars for us. Also the contour do not have as much flex as the taper wall bars. If you have any other question feel free to drop me a line. "

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2005
So I am assuming that the contours are supposedly better?!?!?!? I thought the contours were smaller at the mounting area. I think i am pretty much lost on this one now. I was gonna go with the Pro Tapers, but, who in the heck knows what bend one's supposed to like. I am 6'4" 215 and riding a KX 250. The ones I have now are pro tapers 1 1/8 oversize, but have no idea what bend they are, i really like them though.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Pro Tapers! I run the SE bars (standard 7/8's with the crossbar, but they are 5mm thick throughout and have held up awesome to hitting the ground) and Red runs the Taperwall fat bars. Plus Pro Taper and Tucker Rocky sponsor this site and Dirtweek... so why not give back to them and give them a try! :cool:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Green.... you'll find the bend charts at www.protaper.com and you need to consider sweep (pullback) and height. The Pro Tapers come with notch marks on the bar ends if you want to trim them any shorter (like for woods riding). Since you're 6'4" I'm guessing you might want a taller bar. Sweep/pullback comfort is a personal preference. Myself, I like a straighter bar instead of too much sweep.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
nikki said:
Green.... you'll find the bend charts at www.protaper.com and you need to consider sweep (pullback) and height. The Pro Tapers come with notch marks on the bar ends if you want to trim them any shorter (like for woods riding). Since you're 6'4" I'm guessing you might want a taller bar. Sweep/pullback comfort is a personal preference. Myself, I like a straighter bar instead of too much sweep.

Nikki, I also like really straight bars and would like to try the SE's on my new bike. What bend do you run? Do you shorten yours?

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Just buy a dozen of them and let us know wich one you think is best, lord knows you crash enough that you are going to need them. :laugh:

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
I have yet to use a 7/8" bar that I didn't bend. This includes the pro taper SE and the tags. As far as oversized bars I use Renthal fatbars. I haven't bent these yet and they are affordable. The new contour bars you speak of are comparable to these. The pro tapers have more fles for shock absorption without breaking. They are expensive though. I have bent the tag oversize bars. The Renthal twinwall bars are what many pros run, they seem to be bulletproof. They are quite expensive and stiff. I personally don't like having a crossbar (these are oversize bars too). My buddy is using the universal oversize bars and likes them. I also know applied has an affordable oversize bar, but I don't know of anyone who is using them. The azonic oversize bars are very stiff, but I know of 2 guys who have bent them. The Renthal 917 bend is a good and popular bend. I believe this is the Carmichael bend. If the number is wrong you want the carmichael bend. If you want a really flat bar look for a pair of 03' KTM magura bars, they are straight as can be, but a little low.

taderhead

Jul 29, 2005
i had tag metals x5s or somthin on my 125 7/8s they were wild man i wfliped it so many times on hill climbs and still strait as they were when i bought em

Jun 2, 2005
Well, I spoke with one of the Pro Taper reps and he says the contour bars are supposed to be stronger and the "new" thing. As far as bends he says at my height he would go with the YZ hi bend, but, I was looking on the chart you guys said and teh CR hi bend doesnt have as much sweep. SO, I think I am going with the CR hi bend Pro Taper Contour bars. I will let you guys know what I think about them when I get them in and ruin them a couple of times. Oh Yeah......thanks for the crash coment JSin...maybe one day you can be like me.....LOL

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
KX02 said:
Nikki, I also like really straight bars and would like to try the SE's on my new bike. What bend do you run? Do you shorten yours?

KX - I think I'm running the Pastrana MX/RM Low bend (2.91" height, 2.17" pullback) on my ProTaper SE's. And I cut off to the 2nd notch on both sides (I think 0.5" from each side taking the bars from the 31.5" stock width to 30.5").

Keep in mind I'm about 5'5".

They have even straighter SE bars, such as Factory Suzuki (3.63" height, 1.85" pullback) and YZ High (3.31" height, 2.05" pullback). But most of the straighter bars are taller.

Oh, and I crash tested my ProTaper SE's two more times this weekend, even spun my clutch lever around both times, but the bars are still holding up awesome. :cool:

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Thanks for the info Nikki. I think I'm definitely getting the SE bars for my bike. I took my current bars down from 32" to 31.5". I think I might like them at 31"

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I have tried a few different bars, but my favorite 7/8ths bars are the cheapo $12.99 Tusk's from rocky mountain! They are fairly durable and don't bend surprisingly easy, plus when you do bend them you can just throw on new ones and not worry about it!

I run the Pro-Tapers on my bike though, they are my favorite (Although I have never tried the Tag bars).

I don't really like the twinwall bars. I have some Azonic twinwalls on my KX and they have bent much easier than the Pro-Tapers. The Tapers also seem to take some of the vibration and landing impact out of the bike.

Top Bottom