Pro Taper vs the other oversize bars.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
Hey guys I am making the jump from 7/8 bars to the oversize bars.

I have only ridden bikes with the protapers. I am looking for you in put on other over size bars. (renthal fat bars, magura x line, tag bars, long horn, etc.) what do you think? are pro tapers the best?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yup.
Only have experience with TAG, Azonic TwinWall (and PT's)... much stiffer than PT's, have seen them snap (Tag) too. Take a look at the Contour bars as well. I prefer the flex and vibration reduction in the ProTapers. Can't comment on the others. The only thing that bothers me about the Longhorn's is the price.. seems just too low, ya know? Oh and besides that, I'm a Sooner fan. And we lost this year.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
thanks okie I searched bars in the threads. It seems that twinwalls and protapers are the strongest. I think I am going to go with the pro tapers because they reduce vibration better that the contour, and contours are made out of 2014 aluminum rather that the better 70 series aluminum that the taper walls are made out of.

The cheaper price of the longhorns just screams "something is wrong with me"

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL...the entrepeneur has no chance!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was reffering to the pricing and the judgements made by it.
Perhaps the bars are of equal quality, but the mfg decides to offer them at a discounted price in hopes of sharing a bit of the market with the "MXA spenders".

Looks like if that is in fact the case, he needs to rethink his pricing. Perhaps charging MORE would increase sales. (shrug)

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
My KX still has the same Pro Tapers on it that it did when I bought it in 98. They are still straight. I'm not a big crasher but they have been in the dirt more than a time or two. After getting that kind of life out of them I feel like the extra cash they cost just might be worth it. Maybe another brand would have held up just as well but who knows.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Like moto specific motor oil. :)

BTW...doesn't pro taper make about 90% of everyones bars anywho?

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
The only complaint I have with Tag is that tie downs can rub off the finish. Mine are gun metal grey and have shiny spots where I strap the bike down. Other than that I have had no problems or complaints with them and feel they were worth every penny I spent on them. And I do crash alot and they are still straight. Wish I could say the same for my subframe :yikes:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Has anyone actually tested the Contours? I'm in the market for some new oversize bars and trying to decide between the Taperwalls or the Contours. Right now I'm eyeing the contours as I'm on a budget.

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
ProTaper Contours vs. Renthal Twinwalls

I've been riding for about a year with Twinwalls on my 2002 CR250. It had lotsa vibrations and I thought it was due to the infamous aluminum frame and not so much the bars. Boy was I wrong!
I rode today (MX Track and a bunch of trails) with ProTaper Contours (Black Windhams) and I noticed a definite reduction in vibrations. After several laps, I noticed that my hands weren't getting numb like they used to.
I bought RG3 clamps previously to help the situation, barely helped.
ProTapers all the way........

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I've only had experience with the Tag bars. No complaints here. I have had them for two years and haven't bent them, yet.

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
Never tried the twinwalls, I put ProTaper bars through many a dumps and could only bend them with a mutliple cartwheel (of the bike) crash, but in this manner did bend one on each bike I had. But at the same time I would bend Tag or Renthal standard bars about once a month (guess I was crashing too much).
On my current bike I got Renthal fat bars because I was tired of gold and the dealer gave me a great deal. One small dump and they are bent, the ProTapers would have taken that beating over and over without damage, so no more Renthals for me.
Stan

gargamel

Nov 18, 2005
I have the Longhorn bars. All I can say is they rock. Been through a couple crashes (nothing major) and still straight. I have no complaints and will keep buying them. The finish holds up great too. Won't ever pay Tag prices again!!!!!!
:)

Top Bottom