SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
I'bve got a 94 KDX 200 that i got a few months back. The clutch pull is too hard. I replaced the cable but that did not help. There is silicone on the cluthc cover so i'm thinking that the thing was replaced with a barnette and heavy duty springs or even the wrong springs. Has anyone tried EBC springs, they are only $10 at Chapperal?

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I wouldn't think you would need HD springs. Go back with the stock springs or modify your clutch lever to change the location of the pull angle.

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Well, I've never used HD clutch springs and I'm only assuming that the ones in it are HD. The ones from EBC are only 10% stonger than stock and only $10 where I imagine the stockers are much more . If 10% stronger will so I guess I'll and most likely barnette since they

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
I don't know why that posted. Anway i can live with a 10% stronger pull, assuming 10% at the basket will be the same at the lever, what i have now is about 100% harder than the new bikes at the dealer. After 25 miles my fingers are hurting. I don't have the stock springs so i'll give the EBC a try. Just wanted to see if anyone had tried aftermarket springs. Thanks!

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
get an adjustable clutch perch, the one I have has three places on the lever to attach the clutch cable end. depending on where you put it the pull is harder or softer. when I got my XR the clutch pull was terrible, 15 pulls or so and your hand would be cramping. I moved the cable end to the third setting and now the clutch is butter. it feels almost as good as the hydraulic clutch on my streetbike.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
smokinRZ (man...I wish I would'a bought one of those!!):
Sunline stinks (imo). Their angle and comfort level are zip-point.

While you may well have basket problems, I'd bet there are some sort of honkin' huge springs in your bike. That seems to be a common error (imo). 'If a little is good, then a LOT is MUCH better!' being the idea, stock springs are often ditched for stronger springs.

Try a decent lever/perch, make sure your basket is good to go, but don't go overboard on the pressure thing.

Fredette makes 'kits'. They have the XR plates (THAT'S a good place to get more stick...use a better friction plate!), but I don't know what kinda springs.

Make sure the actuator assy is shimmed correctly and not galled to uselessness.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Contact Sage for the Moose CR perch and bearing lever. I got it and my clutch is a cream puff to pull.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
The various aftermarket cables like terminator (motion pro I think) or some other silly name work real well due to their construction as they don’t tend to act like a spring. Cheaper aftermarket ones aren’t so good.

Yes you could increase your leverage with an expensive lever assembly.

But the cheap way of doing exactly the same thing on the other end is lengthen the actuator arm. I put an extra 8-10mm in my kdx arm which helped a lot & actually improved the angle of the cable.

Cost; an offcut & a 10 min welding job.

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
Yep, that's what I bought, one of those terminator cables and it didn't make much difference. I've replaced them before where it made a huge difference. There is silicone on the clutch cover so I know someone has been in there. The bike has 1,500 miles and still had the original back tire (bald). I think canyncarver is right, I think someone put in the wrong springs. I'll find out for sure this weekend. thanks!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'THEY' wouldn't think the springs were wrong. 'THEY' would think they were BOFFO!! HOT TICKET!!! and HIPRO!!

There was a post recently about clutch pack screws breaking the backing plate. If you're taking it apart, look real close to see if the 'BOFFO' springs and/or brute force assy fractured something.

Keep those XR plates in mind if you want more clutch stick ('86-99 XR250R is the last listing I have noted. I think they're good into the twos..2000 and '01? Better double check that part).

Top Bottom