MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I'm working on a friends 99 YZ250 while he's down with an injury. The motor has had the bottom end rebuilt by Jim w/2-Fast and cylinder treated to an EG 265 treatment. This motor rocks very hard. I got roosted by it so hard the other day I wanted to cry. Anyway, it does have two issues I wanted to try to resolve.

1) It's very cold natured. Until warm it sputters and smokes excessively, but once it's warm it's perfect. The main jet is one step leaner (don't remember number) and the pilot is stock. It hasn't fouled a plug so should I leave well enough alone or go leaner on his pilot.

2) It's very hard to kick over. The resitance to pushing the kick starter is very, very hard; painfully so. Is this just the sign of a good tight motor or is something else up?

Both these conditions have existed ever since the rebuild, which occurred about 2 years ago. The cold naturedness existed prior to the rebuild.

Thanks in advance.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
My 99 CR250 is also very hard to kick. Alot more so than a friend's 02 CR. I know it has more compression than the 02, so I always assumed that was the reason. I have never had any problems, either. I would consider going 1 or 2 steps leaner on the pilot to to see if it's easier to start. Seems like it's running rich when cold.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom