kx250crazy

Jan 28, 2005
ok here goes, I have a 1998 KX 250 that does not kick start. once I bump start the bike it runs fine and will kick start for the rest of the day. When it is bump started it starts very fast, like on the first revolution.
I have the top end off and found very light scoring on the intake side of the piston, weak rings (end gap .035), a stuck open power valve and a nasty looking cylinder.
The cylinder is not scored at all but the coating is almost completly worn off. It seams very thin.
The power valve was stuck open because the valves areso gummed up with nasty looking black goo that it broke the snap ring off the little wheel on the shaft.
So here are my plans (please feel free to add anything else you think I should do). Anew top end, bore and re-coat the cylinder, Remove and clean out the power valves and repair the broken snap ring.
So after all that do you think I will still have a starting problem?
Thanks for all the help!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
kx250crazy said:
So after all that do you think I will still have a starting problem?

Nope.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Definately not. At least I hope not, b/c I'm doing the same thing. My plugs would get fouled out every time I put my bike away and I'd have the same problem.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Only other thing you didn't mention that might be causing your starting problem is a worn out or cracked set of reeds.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
if they don't seat flat against the base they are worn.. If there is no gap at the ends and they have tension when you pull up on them with your fingernail or something, they're probably fine.

Top Bottom