mattmcphail

Nov 18, 2004
I've been riding a KDX 200 for about a year and although I love it, the desire for a new and bigger bike drives me to search for a new machine. I've ridden a few hare scrambles and want to start trying some enduros. I live in Florida so we ride a lot of pine forests, sand, and a few open fire roads etc. I enjoy the races but I'd say I'm more of recreational rider as I've only been riding about 6 mos.
At 25 and 6-2 235, I've been leaning towards the 450 4stroke woods bikes (EXC, WR, CRF-X) and probably heaviest toward the KTM. I'm curious to hear some opinions on the best bikes to set up competitivly for both HS and Enduros. I really don't want to tag and have mirrors etc. on my HS bike that are required for many enduros.
Also, I see so many guys riding MX bikes in harescrambles, what's the opinion on for instance a SX vs. EXC or YZ vs. WR once the suspension is softened up.
Appreciate the input.
Matt

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'd look at the KTM400EXC, KTM450EXC, CRF450X, WR450F or GasGas 450FSE. I think you would be better off staying with an enduro oriented bike than trying to convert a motocrosser. I wouldn't count out a two-stroke yet either, the KTM250 or 300EXC or GasGas EC250 or EC300 are great bikes too, with lots of power.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Sand...sounds like a 450 4 stroke or 250+ 2 stroke. I personally think that a modified 250F is about as good as you can get for a hare scramble/enduro bike (even for those a little over 200 lbs like me), but that's keeping sand out of the equation. I tend to lean toward the 4 stroke naturally, but would tell you that your transfer sections or open fire road sections should be your key indicator here. A mile here or there no biggie for the 2 stroke, but if you start having multi-mile transfer sections or open fire road runs the 4 stroke starts to look alot more advantageous. IMHO

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
IMO 300MXC. All I pretty much ride is enduros. The close ratio gear box is exactly to my liking for these races. Yes I don't have the top end speed of the exc, or the super low end granny first gear, but for 95% of enduros they are not needed with teh 300 engine. For the few Hare Scambles and Grand Prix I do, a higher gear would be nice. FYI the 300 motor is bullet proof. It's quick strong easy to start and without any expensive valves.

You are about my size and my KTM fits me great. If you wanted a smaller feeling bike the gas gas 300 is also a good one and feels to be in a smaller package.

FYI I went the four sroke route for a few years and IMO 2 strokes are simply more fun.

Top Bottom