Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I ride MX and practice on natural doubles on a track laid out on 40 acres of great trails and jumps.
I have friends who race hare scrambles and they are talking me into trying it. I have never even attended a hare scramble and I have a few questions. I have a full-on MX bike, and I don't plan on modifying it for woods riding, but I do need to know what to expect in a hare scramble.
Apparently the course that I may try out is a 7 mile course. I understand that the race will consist of a two hour time limit.
Will I need to consider hydration for such a race?
Should I have a fanny pack or something to carry a spare plug?
My MX'er only holds 2 gals of gas...is this enough? (doubtful) and is there a re-fueling period in scrambles?
I was also surprised when my pal told me in his first scramble he actually leaned agaisnt a tree for a few minuets to rest, yet came in third! :think Hmmm....
I'd really appreciate any input from veteran scramblers.
Thanks.

NEMX305

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2001
You will need a drink system. I'm using the SRC vital system now, and its probably the best there is, but there are cheaper units available. You will need to stop for gas, easiest way to figure out when is to just pit at the half way point. I could never get used to wearing a fanny pack, I just leave some tools in the pits with spare gloves and goggles. Most important advice I can give you is not to try and win the race on your first lap.2 hours is a long time to race, and its alot easier to pass towards the end. Go at a hard enough pace at the start that will keep you towards the front with out tiring you out, then its a lot easier to push hard late in the race. You may want to soften your compression adjusters all the way soft too. Tim

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Thanks for your reply, NEMX305.
I have been wondering about the two hour thing. I know that after about 45 mins of MX'ing...this old hack is one tired pup! I'm trying to work on my stamina.
I assume the SRC is a Summers product. I plan on going to his shop today, since he is located about a 40 min drive from me. (about 15 miles the way the crow flys) I'll check it out.

Is the "pit" thing sort of non-specific? In other words, can we pit whenever we want? I'm still worried about 4 gals being enough for the whole route. I may need two pit stops. I've made 2 gals last an hour easy, but I've also eaten up 2 gals in about 45-50 mins. depending on how hard I'm going.

This will be an AMA sanctioned race, btw.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I've never been much of an MX'er, but here's how I'll attempt to explain what you should expect. The 45-minute moto is like running the 400 meters; a hare scramble is like running the mile. The hare scramble will require a more controlled style as you weave in and out of trees, climb hills, and traverse whatever other obstcles are out there. Don't expect to be holding the throttle wide open very much. A steady, controlled pace works well. Your moto skills will pay off when it comes to turning, whoops, aggressive passing, and lots of other stuff.

For preparation, I'd suggest throwing on a set of metal handguards for those close encounters with trees. For $30, they are worth every penny. I use a CamelBak for hydration (can get those at any bicycle shop). With a 2 gallon tank, expect to stop once for gas. Might want to carry a wrist watch to keep track of how long each lap takes, to know when you need to pit. You can stop any time you want and pit wherever you want, but if you exit the course you have to re-enter at the same place you left. If you get so tired that you're making a lot of mistakes, take a break for a few minutes. It's surprising how much a short rest can help.

When a faster guy comes up behind you, be nice and let him pass!! Don't be surprised at how tired you are after (or during) the race. Hare scrambles are a different game, but I enjoy this type of racing. More bang for the buck, and you don't have to worry about keeping your bike pretty for the MX crowd :D

Good luck!!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I appreciate the help, y'all. Thanks.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Hey Jaybird that cough sounds a little better!

In a 2 hour hare scrambles you can count on riding 40 to 50 miles. Probably closer to 40. Have you any idea how far the 125 will go on a tank?

Pace yourself; the first lap in a harescramble can be absolutely insane! Don't go nuts on the first lap! As KaTooMer (is that a desease?) has suggested the race will be very long. Also if you run into trouble (you will) don't give up. as everyone will have some sort of problem.

Hydrate properly before the start and warm up those forearms well!

Above all - have a good time!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
wfo, My cough is MUCH better now that the virus has been eradicated! :)

Im not sure about distance, but I have ridden almost an hour and a half just blubbering around following the kids and helping, but I've also ran a tank out in about 45 mins before rippin it up. I'm thinking I may be able to run an hour in this type of environment. I will watch my first fill and guage from there.

MTRHEAD,
Saddleback East, Bedford KY.

This is an AMA event, and the club folks seem to have really built a great spot. The next scramble of the series in on Sunday, Aug. 19, 12 noon.
They are apparently using Radio Frequency boxes to read times. They claim to be the first hare scramblers to use it. Looks great.

Bedford isn't far from Louisville, up I-71.
I live in Charlestown, Indiana and will get there going through Madison IN, and Milton KY. on Rt. 42 (?) Drop me an e-mail if you want to plan on going, I'll be glad to wait on you so you can follow me up. It's about a 30-40 min. ride from my house.

Last edited:

Baked

Apr 6, 2000
alright... I've been riding HareScrambles and Enduros for a couple years now... and the most important thing in either of these races is TAKE IT EZ!! Not saying go slow... but ride smooth and don't let ANYONE on a KTM pass you!! :) (that was a shot for Katoomer) Anyway... drink lots of water before hand, and lots of water after. Take a hydration system but it really takes alot out of you to quit breathing and suck on a hose in the woods. I tried Motocross last week for the first time. I've never been so tired SO QUICK before in my life. After 15 minutes on the track there... I felt like I do after the Roselawn enduro's last section. The only good thing about Motocross is that when you are done, you don't feel like that the rest of the day.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
lol...half of that exhaustion at the MX track is nerves. But, I can sure relate to the tired quick!

I'll be on a KTM ! :D

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Hey Derek, have you been racing the CMA HS? If so, I have probably seen you there! I ride a KTM400EXC. Theres only 1 or 2 at the races normally.

DrtSqrt

Dec 19, 1999
um..I feel silly saying this but it was mentioned in a previous post....when sucking on your liquid of choice while racing, breathe through your nose :D

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Actually Jaybird, you can only pit under caution and then only after the pace bike gives the signal. ;)

You should definitely be alright with one stop. I can one stop a 2hr harescramble on my 250 with a 2.25 gallon tank. If you think you could need a sparkplug and wrench, wrap them in a rag and drop it in your drink system bag. Another thing new guys to this racing deal with is blisters. If your hands tend to turn raw consider tape or fingerless underliner gloves (Moose).

However, in reality the best way to learn this stuff is to do it once or twice then find out what you need to fix.

It's Fun!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm looking forward to my first scramble. I went over to Summers Racing today and got a bag. I wanted a set of Scott's hand guards, but they don't have them developed quite yet for my bike. I got a set of Fredettes instead.
I appreciate the help, folks!

BTW....I know where some of Scott Summers unused race bikes are for sale if anyones interested. (one is a totally tricked out '99 XR600 never ridden, 4900):D

Alex

Aug 2, 2001
lessons I learnt in the beginning, do not drink a lot of liquid in the hour before the race, you will end up with cramps (learnt that one the hard way, 40KM stitch), pack a spare lens for your goggles in your pack. Race your own race, don't get excited if someone passes you, and even worse don't get excited if you start reeling someone in (learnt that one the hard way bailed in a 1000KM race at KM160 carried on with a broken clavicle and two broken ribs for 30 KM, retired at the fuel stop, and then figured out that I had pulled out a 20 minuet lead in the first 150 KM, I ended up with a DNF the slow guys finished) but most off all enjoy it.

Alex

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
Another thing new guys to this racing deal with is blisters. If your hands tend to turn raw consider tape or fingerless underliner gloves

Yes I experienced this my last race so I tried to ride with a lighter grip to give my hand a rest, needless to say it didn't work so well! :eek:

Hey scotty, yes I have been doing the CMA HS. I don't remember the bike but I've probably seen you (or passed you! :p ) Just kidding!

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
I ride Novice B , I don't think they put that class on the website. What class do you ride? I got 2nd at Vienna. How did ya like that last section at Vienna where you had to go through the pine trees? That was tight eh?

Top Bottom