Harsh 02 CR250 critics. I don't understand?

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
I recently bought on 02 CR 250 and of course I read evey post about it on the site. I just want to say that the bike is probably the sweatest MX bike ever mass produced. Now I know I'm going to get responses about the poor airbox design. I admit it is a problem but it takes 5 minutes to fix. Ok I exaggerated, it takes 10 minutes to fix. Also I "hear" from a lot of people that the engine is lacking power! Who do these people think they are RC?? Unless your drag racing a F16 down a runway you couldn't possibly use all the power this bike puts out STOCK. Some jetting work (as with any bike) and the bike is ready to go. All I have done to the bike is add a 49 tooth sprocket. I haven't touched the carb and it runs like a dream. One of my firends who has the famous for low end 1998 KX 250 told me that my 02 CR has more down low than his bike. And he just had a new top and bottom end done two weeks ago. As for the suspension... I don't think anyone will complain. It soaks up the bumps like a 10 shammy!

I guess you will always have those who are never satisfied but if you are considering an 02 250 MXer get the CR! You will not be dissapointed.

Just my .02... thanks for listening
Larry

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Some people just like to put down other bikes...People say that my CR is slow, but it sure seems fast to me

e.c.bert

Mar 11, 2002
I agree here; the new Honda is a dream motorcycle. I have seen them go and they are something close to magic. If I had the cash I would like to use one of those engines in my 2001 CR125 chassis and call it the last bike I'd ever own. At that point I would probably sell my 1998 KX250 ; nooo just kidding! I would keep it for friends to ride.

the mayor

Feb 25, 2002
The 02 Cr must be slow because Motocross Action magazine says so....and they are never wrong and only print pure truth! ( that is sarcasm for those of you who live under a rock and /or have no sense of humor).

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Larry,

You are right about your bike they are sweet. Some people live in a dream world and do think they can use all of its power. It's funny that the points leader and current SX champ rides one. :think:
As a fellow owner of one I can truly say that it does have a few things that need attention but what bike doesn't. ( remember they are man made.)
As for the power mine is a little sluggish down low but thier are a few guys on this site that are helping me through it. Other than that it is tremendously powerful. I am 6'-2" 270 lb. and it takes all i got to hang on. I have raced many bikes in my 34 years and yes this one is sweet and powerful. ;) My friend rides a yz 400 and says my bike scares him because it is so light and powerful.

Enjoy your bike in the real world a leave the skeptics in the fantasy world. :D

Last edited:

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I'm with you man, I love mine and I've never been a Honda guy. Remember the magazines gotta sell more mags so I think they try too hard to find faults with nearly perfect gear, I reckon all the new MX bikes are pretty good for us average guys. I hear you about the suspension, I've never ridden anything so good, besides the red matches my eyes. A'int life grand! :aj:

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I've got a '98 and have ridden the absolute s**t out of it. Other than top ends once a year the thing has been perfect. Still looks, rides and performs like brand new.
Here's the real test. Park your CR at the side of a trail area, or at your local track. Watch what happens. Riders of lesser machines will always walk up to look at your bike, pertending they are looking at their shoes or something.

CylinderStay

May 18, 2001
The CR is a beautiful bike with plenty of power. Unless you are a pro level rider it will blow your socks off every ride. Magazines like to nit-pick because they need something to write about. I know, I just bought a '02 KX250, supposedly the "slowest" 250 of the bunch. Shoot, if I wick the throttle it takes everything I've got to hang on. For example, MXA complained about the KTM having a black rear fender instead of an orange one! :moon:

wildmanmike

Apr 2, 2002
ITS FUNNY...THOSE BIKE MAGS MUST LIVE IN A DREAM WORLD....THEY SAY THIS BIKE IS FASTER AND THIS BIKE HAS BETTER SUSPENSION...ETC....IN REALITY...EVERY SINGLE BRAND MAKES A GREAT BIKE AND IS MORE THAN CAPABLE AND SATISFYING FOR THE AVERAGE JOE...MOST OF US CAN NEVER EXCEED ANY OF THE BIKES IN THE SHOOTOUTS CAPABILITIES AND WOULD LOVE TO JUST BE ABLE TO RIDE IT FAST...SO THROW ALL THE MAKES IN A HAT AND PULL ONE OUT AND I GUARENTEE YOU WILL LOVE IT..BY THE WAY..HONDA WILL ALWAYS HAVE A PLACE IN MY HEART.. MY FIRST BIKE AT AGE 5 WAS A HONDA...IM 33 NOW.

Last edited:

xtreme73

Mar 17, 2002
In my younger years I was a Kawasaki Rulzs kinda guy, then I got a job at a Honda dealer and just got a 02 cr 125. S-W-E-E-T ! ! The bike is absoultely amazing. My 98 KX was pimped and I though it was the sh!t. No way, the stock cr walks all over it in every which way. I now am a Honda really rules kinda guy!

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
I don't think there have been too many critics of the bike on this site. The majority of the posts I have read on it have been tips and suggestions to make the bike a little better, easier to ride and to point out possible problem areas. Nothing harsh about that. Though I'm glad I bought a YZ this year. :)

BuggyDaker

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2001
the only thing i really dislike/hate about my '02 is the shifting, but it is slowly getting better. first time riding and it would barely shift, and i mean BARELY. i must of just got a tight tranny.

the motor could use more overrev. it just falls on it's face quicker then any bike i've ridden. midrange is awesome. and i like the soft bottom end. now if i could only keep that midrange and add top end-- perfect motor for me!!

love the chassis!

bug

d36RM racer

May 26, 2004
Before I bought my new 03 RM250 I borrowed my dads bosses 03 cr250 with a fatty pipe and shorty silencer. this bike has a very plush ride but the motor sucks down low it has no hit sure eventually it suddenlu surges to the rocket fast top end power but its nothing like my RM or a YZ. If honda actually started putting some R&D dollars in their 2strokes it could become a good bike

john3_16

May 17, 2004

The CR250 is NOT lacking power like the the people you hear say this...
It may be somewhat deceptive because of the power delivery is mostly upper mid and top end...The problem is that THEY are too slow to use CR style power...

I've go an 03 CR250 and it's very fast...It doesn't have the low end to get you out of trouble if you go too slow into a corner...This is why slower riders think it is slow, because they are usually riding in the lower part of the rpm range and going in a corner with too low of an rpm on the CR and it won't pull with authority without using the clutch aggressively to get you out fast..

The key with the CR is to keep it on the power...With some of the other bikes it's easier to do this because their power starts alot lower in the rpm range....But their power also tapers off sooner than the Honda.I like those other bikes too...But what the Honda has is that light feeling and great suspension is what makes me like it so much.

Look at any dyno chart and the Honda is always 1rst or 2nd in the numbers...A very powerful bike that has a power delivery that is better used by an above average rider.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
the mayor said:
The 02 Cr must be slow because Motocross Action magazine says so....and they are never wrong and only print pure truth! ( that is sarcasm for those of you who live under a rock and /or have no sense of humor).

Yup, and the sad part is that as I recall MXA dyno'd the '02 and found it made the second-highest peak HP of any '02 250 on the dynomometer. Then they contradict themselves by complaining about the lack of juice..

All I know is my bone stock '03 pulls on my buddies piped '00 KX, and absolutely walks away from 250Fs. And that's with it running pig rich. My only gripe is the stupid short gear shifter. I grab false neutrals semi-frequently and really need to fit the longer 125 shifter.

-Pace

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Just to add, when I purchased the '03 on clearance I tested it back-to-back with a new '02 KX. The Kawasaki had tractor-like bottom end but then fell flat on its face in the midrange. Just like hitting a wall; it almost felt like the powervalve wasn't opening. The bike also 'felt' big and heavy, whereas the CR was 125-like in comparison. They offered me the KX for a grand less than the CR, but the Honda just felt light years ahead so it was worth the extra $$.

The linear powerband of the CR also made it very easy for me to transition from my YZ125.

-Pace

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
It's not a honda but I do agree with you about using all of the bikes power... I just bought myself a 04 yz250 and I know they can't be that far off from one another.... I will never use all of this bikes power, lots of it....fun to have Jeff.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
LRice85...you just let the cat out of the bag out man...now everyone is going to want an '02 CR250...lol...I hear ya though, everytime I hear someone say that the '02 CR250 "lacks" power, all I can do is shake my head and wonder how bad I actually suck at riding, 'cause mine is definately a handful...I won't be selling this one...

BlackRaptor

Mar 30, 2004
I love the CR250's. I don't have an 02 but mine really rips. It's a rush with every ride, i get off the thing shaking sometimes. Can't get enough of that bike.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
I don't think it has anything to do with just the '02...although that's the one you hear the most about...some people just don't like the color RED...Suzuki will be next to catch all the $h!^, probably their 450F...lol... :moon: ...just teasin'

sandflyz

Dec 10, 2004
03 cr

I hate my 03 CR. I can't hold onto it. Its so light its like a mountain bike with an engine. I can't get excited about aftermarket parts to put on it because i haven't found anything it needs. One more thing. I'm not drinking as much beer anymore cause my friends don't have to come over to fix my bike on the weekends.

I'm getting a YZ

:ride:

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I just rode my new-to-me 01 CR250R last weekend. I'v raced MX and HS in the past, but now am mostly doing woods riding and I couldn't belive how good this CR is. It pulls cleanly from idle all the way to the top with a solid but controllable punch in the middle. Tight sliperly technical stuff? No problem, just plunk along taking advantage of the stout but smooth low end, open fast section? again no problem just keep in the fat mid-top. Even the suspension was surprisingly plush given that its set up for moto. I was riding with a YZ426 (with lots of mods), a 04CRF450R (exhaust and suspension mods), a KTM EXC300, a KTM EXC450 and a WR250 (4-stroke). I was easily the fastest of the bunch in the tight to moderate terrian and when we dumped out on a old service road I even kept up with the big thumpers in a straight line drag.

Now all I need to do is soften up the suspension a bit and it will be perfect for me:)

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Talk about digging up an old post! An 01 CR is not like an 02. Completely different engine design.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…