harsh over sharp bumps in high speed

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Im quite happy with my suspension but what i dont like is that it feels harsh over sharp bumps in a bit higher speeds. Is this something i can solve with LS compression or rebound? I played around a little but didnt notice any difference. The sags are right and the bike is a '02sx125. What kind of problems are HS related and cant be solved without revalving?

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
Bump in the night

I would say get on the internet and search for some information on your problem. It's there. From your description it sounds like you need to adjust the High Speed Compression. Anything that would make the suspension need to absorb something quickly.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
TCOX said:
I would say get on the internet and search for some information on your problem. It's there. From your description it sounds like you need to adjust the High Speed Compression. Anything that would make the suspension need to absorb something quickly.

Cant you allow me also to live the american dream and get what i want by a press on the tv remote? ;)

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
Change the batteries in the remote.

You know, I tried the TV remote on my children when they were little and it didn't work. I kept pushing the channel change button and pointed it at them, but It wouldn't change their channel.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Have you tried asking this on ktmtalk? There is s thread in the susp forum about the 200 fork shim stack that should help you.

This will likely get nuked.......

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
I were looking on forslyk website and found something for me quite strange. "The stiffer you set compression (to a certain point), the plusher it is on the small bumps, but too harsh for the larger jumps." I though it was the opposit. When i feel my forks are harsh over small and mid sized bumps i try to reduce the compression and play with the rebound. Have i got everything wrong? Can anyone explain that quote? Im lost.

Right now i feel my bike is harsh on small and midsized bumps, even more if i let off on the throttle and having a constant speed. Its alot better under acceleration. I seem to bottom the suspension quite easy on jumps and the front seems to deflect sideways after i land, wont continue in the same line.The rear seems to travel alot on bigger bumps making it feel loose. So i would like to make it more firm on jumps and smoother on the bumps. Maybe i just need to turn my compression clickers in and it will work out fine. Man if i only knew how to tune the suspension maybe i would be really fast by now :)

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
Basically, in a nutshell. If your bike is stiffened in the compression, your goal is to keep your forks up in the stroke. If you are too deep into the stroke, there is harshness over braking and studder bumps. Meaning, if you have your forks set as soft as they go, your forks will be more towards the middle of the stroke, and not the top. The deeper into the travel you go, the harder the valving is. When you stiffen the forks up, it lets you utilize the initial part of your fork movement. That is the reason many of us prefer stiffer springs. It isn't to help you from bottoming usually. It is to keep you up higher for cornering, braking bumps, during braking etc.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Best thing to do is get radical with the clickers, try full soft and full hard and see which one you prefer.This will tell you which direction you need to go to.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Marcus i missed your first post. Are wp's known for this due to its midvalve or lack of as in my forks? If i try compression all the way in to all the way out and cant get rid of the harshness then its due to stiction or can HS play a role in this? The forks follow the ground well but just transfer too much to my hands. I think its some kind of stiction problem, hope forslyk can solve it.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The wp forks are known for stiction issues as well as the mid having too much lift and so not really working as intended, the 05 has better valving as is not a terrible fork..

Top Bottom