have a kdx now, MX recommendations?

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
I have an '88 kdx200 that is my 1st bike. I have had it over a year now. I have ridden track a few times but follow kids on PW80's a lot...

I would also like to have a MX bike to learn track a little better. Can anyone recommend anything?

I am 35 years old.
I am 5'6"
Weigh 190lbs
I would be buying used, as I would only ride track maybe once a month, but would still like to learn.
I am not very aggressive, so far.

My kdx suspension is too plush for jumps, in my opinion...

If I go 4 stroke, I think a Honda CRF250R or Yamaha YZ250F would be good. I think a 450 would be too much bike for me. But then, there are higher costs with MX 4strokes, initially, and especially at rebuild time. But the positive is they are easier, so it is said.

If I go 2 stroke, do I go 125 or 250? I like the YZ's and KX's. CR's I like too. Two things make me lean twords 2 stroke:
1. lower cost to acquire and rebuild.
2. light weight.
The one thing that concerns me though is people say the 2/ 250's can get you in trouble too quick. I just wonder if my kdx has prepared me at all for a 250mx bike. I could always get a flywheel weight to tame the "hit" some.

The only reason I would consider a 125 2/ is that people say you learn to be a better rider if you start with a 125.

Edit: Not to mention - 125's are cheap to get too, especially since everyone in the 125 class is moving to the 4 stroke mx bikes. kaw just pulled the 125 from their lineup in the states, so there could be some good deals on 125's I suspect.

Any opinions?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
After riding my KDX200 for three seasons (and spending way too much money to modify it) I too got the MX bug. I choose a KX125, and it was a good choice. The suspension was just so great that I never really rode my KDX again. In fact, I rode it once after buying the KX and sold it a year later.

I also sold my KX125 at the same time and bought a YZ250F. The YZ-F has it all over a 125cc bike, but I'm glad I went to a 125 first. A 125 MX'er makes you work for the power, and I really think it made me a better rider.

I would still like to have a woods bike. I'm thinking of getting a new YZ250F. If I do, I will outfit my current YZ-F with bark busters, a skid plate and some other woods goodies.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Opinion:
I have a KDX200 and a KX125. I'm 43 years old, 5' 6" and 165 lbs. I've been riding since I was 12 or 13, but I haven't had a good 125 since 1979 when I raced an RM125. Thus, I bought the KX about 2 months to simply have fun with on the track, keeping the KDX for the trails, wood, and "off-road" stuff. If I could have only 1, I'd keep the KDX. Or actually what I'd do is sell them both, get a KX250, put a bigger tank on it, a flywheel weight, a spark arrestor, and use it everywhere. I had a YZ250WR and it was a great all-around bike that I could track, trail, or desert. Easy to pop the slim tank on for the track and the big tank for the desert, but with an IMS on the KX250, you might not even have to do that.

Maintainance-wise, the 250 will be very reliable. You're not racing it every day and it'll hold up just fine. I put a new piston and rings in my YZ every two years (as I do with the KDX) and it was never even close to the service limit. The main advantage of the KX250 over the KDX200 would be suspension and power, but a KDX with re-worked suspension is no slouch. I have loads of fun on my KDX.

The 125 2-stroke is pretty reliable, too, but it will be more maint. than the 250 2-stroke. You have to ride it at a higher rpm and have to use the clutch more. It's not much fun to trail ride as the power is up high and it's tricky to lift the wheel over stuf. The 250 and KDX are much gruntier and both will wheelie better and more controllably when you need them to.

As you noted, though, 125 2-strokes can be gotten cheap and riding mine (2x a week since I got it) HAS made me a better rider. I've learned to use the clutch, keep the rpms up, maintain corner speed and so on. It's very flickable, very light, and fits me really well. I got my "purchased new in '03" 01 KX125 with PR2 suspension, Pro Circuit pipe and shorty silencer, new chain/sprocket, new Maxxis tires, V-Force reeds, Protaper bars, and Chevy trucks stickers for $2000.

I probably will eventually sell both my KDX and KX and go the KX250 route myself.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
You don't really say if you're planning on racing, or just riding tracks. That makes a big difference due to class distinctions. Budget also plays a big role too.

If not racing, I would highly recommend the KTM 200EXC. It's the bike Kawasaki should have updated the KDX up to, but never did.

125's are mondo fun, but very pipey and can be hard to ride. The 4 smokers are more expensive, but easier to cope with. The 250 2-smokers have a big hit, but like NM said the KX250 are more mellow and don't have quite the hit. With the mods he mentioned, they are far easier to cope with.

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
Yamadad said:
You don't really say if you're planning on racing, or just riding tracks. That makes a big difference due to class distinctions. Budget also plays a big role too.

If not racing, I would highly recommend the KTM 200EXC. It's the bike Kawasaki should have updated the KDX up to, but never did.

125's are mondo fun, but very pipey and can be hard to ride. The 4 smokers are more expensive, but easier to cope with. The 250 2-smokers have a big hit, but like NM said the KX250 are more mellow and don't have quite the hit. With the mods he mentioned, they are far easier to cope with.

I don't plan on racing, just riding the tracks. Budget is $2k approximately. I am saving now...
How does the KTM200EXC suspension handle mx jumps? (The EXC is an offroad bike...)
So would you go for the 125 to help me learn to ride better?
Or just go KX250 with FWW & Spark arrestor?
Also are you saying the KX250 hit is mellow compared to the YZ and CR?
Or should I just save more $$ and get a 4 stroke, since I won't be riding "all the time."

One thing that comes to mind for me is that I want to become a better rider, but don't excpect to be riding a whole lot, like I said 1 time per month, maybe 2 sometimes... So would it be better to get a 125 even though it is harder to learn to ride it well? Or just get the 250 with FWW because it is easier...? Or go easiest: 4 stroke? It is hard to pick a bike, huh?

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
The 88 KDX had a major improvement in 89 with water cooling and then again with the perimeter frame in 90's. Your bike is quite a ways down from newer KDXs in power and suspension. If your main interest is woods riding supplimented with one day a month on MX practice track then I would rec'm finding a nice clean low hour perimeter frame KDX 200 or 220 with all the mods and sell the 88. This will be so much better in the woods and will be OK on the MX practice track for table tops, whoops, and singles. You will no longer be following PW80s.
On the other hand if your goal is to eventually be primarily a MX rider then go straight to a couple year old 125. The disadvantages for 2 strokes when actually racing are not that significant when practicing plus the 2 stroke is much easier and cheaper to live with IMO.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I think you should abandon the thought of a 125, and focus on what you have already, or as recommended a late model 250MX'er and mount a fly wheel weight. With the luxury of seat team being a precious commodity, you need to have a bike that it is easy to ride and/or offers sufficient enough power to compensate your lack of timing. Lack of timing is the single biggest loss of athletic skill faced by all amateurs: Not strength or endurance. And good timing stands at the front of the line in terms of needed skill when riding a 125 "briskly" through track or woods. I know, because back when I had ample time to ride, I raced a YZ125 in local grand prixs. But then I had the time to ride about once week, week in and out. Now, I am lucky to get a solid monthly ride. The KDX is tame enough to not tax my every waning skills, yet with a few mods, has enough power/suspension to allow to me to traverse a natural terrain mx course without getting in the way. In fact, I have reeled in a few riders, both and young and old, who are mounted on a modern mx'er. Its not skill, but that I am riding a bike that doesnt wear me out, and instead inspires confidense, thereby allowng me a more relaxed mind set. Those tasked with the same delemma as me, little ride time and/or mediocre skills, are in a constant bout with the more powerful bike model. Take an honest assesment of your needs, wants and capabilities.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
Since your budget is limited to "only" $2k, I'd say the modern 4 strokes are out. Any bike in this price range should too rough to ride and not wrench. At least in my area, the only 4 stroke bikes in this range are total beaters. Since 4 strokes are all the rage right now, you can find some killer deals on 2 smokers.

As far as the 200EXC goes, yes, it will handle any track duty you can throw at it. The EXC mostly refers to the transmission ratios and gas tank size. The suspension is a little softer, but otherwise the same as the MX bikes (the SX models).

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
with $2000 you can get like a 2000 125 or like a 1998 250. I think you should ride a nwer kdx anything from like a 1995 and up. If you will be riding the trails alot get a newer kdx or a 250. If you get the kdx just have the suspension redone or heck just spend an extra $300 on a kx front end. This would be a real nice machine. You can get a like 2000 kdx220 for like $1500 or less. If you get a 1997 you can get it for like $1000+300 for the better suspension and then you got a really nice bike.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
kdx220freak said:
with $2000 you can get like a 2000 125 or like a 1998 250. I think you should ride a nwer kdx anything from like a 1995 and up. If you will be riding the trails alot get a newer kdx or a 250. If you get the kdx just have the suspension redone or heck just spend an extra $300 on a kx front end. This would be a real nice machine. You can get a like 2000 kdx220 for like $1500 or less. If you get a 1997 you can get it for like $1000+300 for the better suspension and then you got a really nice bike.

Even with a KX front end the KDX is far from a motocrosser. Throw all the mods you want at it, it's still wider than an MX'er, will need rear shock work, and will always be down power-wise compared to a 250. My bike is ported, piped, cut head, bored carb, reeds, all that good stuff. On loamy tracks, straights, and uphills I get absolutly hosed by 250's and 450's. I can beat 125's though (which doesn't do a lick of good racing in the 250 class!).

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Duke, I can totally see what you are saying. I DO want something that is not really hard to ride since I won't be practicing all the time.

I think I could save up and extra K to be in the 3K range and get a 4 stroke, I would just have to wait longer. Someone else suggested the CRF250X to me, but they are still so new, you are up higher that even 3K still... I really wish I could ride a bunch of different bikes, but I don't have any "biking" buddies I know well enough yet to do that... One thing I have heard a lot of people say about the 4 stroke mxers is that they turn faster laps on 4/ but that they have more fun on a 2/. I guess it is all just personal preference.

About the FWW, would that only keep you from stalling in lower rpm's, or would it Also tame down the 250 2/ "hit" when you hit the powerband as well??

I had also just considered keeping the 88 kdx for the woods, and get a mx bike for track, so I would have 2 bikes.... Not sure yet. Actually, the easiest bike in our stable to follow the kids on is the CRF150. It is way tame, but perfect for following kids. One thing though, Yamadad mentioned that the KTM 200EXC would handle track and trail with ease. Maybe if I had that I could get rid of my old kdx and have one bike for both track and trail? Less to maintain and take care of then...

Do most of you guys have one bike for track and trail? Or different bikes for each purpose?

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
adam728 said:
Even with a KX front end the KDX is far from a motocrosser. Throw all the mods you want at it, it's still wider than an MX'er, will need rear shock work, and will always be down power-wise compared to a 250. My bike is ported, piped, cut head, bored carb, reeds, all that good stuff. On loamy tracks, straights, and uphills I get absolutly hosed by 250's and 450's. I can beat 125's though (which doesn't do a lick of good racing in the 250 class!).

Adam I agree with you, I don't want to mod a kdx for track. I think it makes more sense to have a mx track bike modded for trail, or separate bikes for each purpose. I really think having one bike that could do both would suit me best headache and money wise.

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
Yamadad said:
Since your budget is limited to "only" $2k, I'd say the modern 4 strokes are out. Any bike in this price range should too rough to ride and not wrench. At least in my area, the only 4 stroke bikes in this range are total beaters. Since 4 strokes are all the rage right now, you can find some killer deals on 2 smokers.

As far as the 200EXC goes, yes, it will handle any track duty you can throw at it. The EXC mostly refers to the transmission ratios and gas tank size. The suspension is a little softer, but otherwise the same as the MX bikes (the SX models).

Yamadad,
Is the KTM200EXC the best MX and trail combo bike? I know the CRF250X is a combo type bike too.
Are those two pretty much the only ones that fit that niche?
Would a KTM200EXC be better all around at both than say a 250 2/ mx bike with FWW?
Also, you all mentioned getting a 250 2/ and doing woods mods. Other than a FWW, what else would I need to mod to make it more woods friendly?

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
I agree with Duke statement "riding a bike that doesnt wear me out, and instead inspires confidense" That's the KDX200 in my opinion. I also have a KX250, it is set up for the MX track, but after two fast laps, I'm worn out. The stiffer suspension (keep in mind that this bike is cushy compared to most mx bikes) and abrupt power wear me out very quickly on the track, and trail riding the KX is only fun for short intervals. The KDX is cadillac smooth, and can handle play riding on the track pretty well, but the all day comfort of the KDX is truely its best attribute. For play riding and some track riding, get a '99 or newer KDX-200. If you plan to do any racing, then get a '99-'02 KX-250

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Another viable option is the purchase of a high end enduro bike of the 250/300 KTM/Gas Gas ilk. I owned a 93 250 DXC (west coast version designed for desert and grand prixs). It was a good all around bike, sort of a medium between a refined KDX and an MXer. Were I too sell the KDX, one of these types of bikes would be my next option. They are obviously suited for off road, but are good for the 40 C/B class on a natural terrian MX track. But I am quite content with the KDX for now. I have always prefered the obscure middle weight size bikes, PE 175's, IT 200's, etc.

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
All of this convinces me that I need to ride some more bikes before I buy anything. But this is all great info, great responses. It also makes me think that I may possibly be happier with just a much newer kdx.

How many of you guys rode a bunch of other bikes before you bought?

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I once contributed to another thread featuring the same theme, evaluating the pros and cons of KDX ownership. About 18 months ago, I had the chance to ride three of the most popular bikes today: YZ250, 450 and 250 CRF. The YZ and 450 was great, but would have required constant riding time for me to keep up with it. Not go fast, just ride within my limits without getting tired. The CR250F was very easy to go fast on, but the caveat being the extemely high maintencane demands of these bikes. I had ridden the KDX on the same track, and like an old glove, it was very comfortable. Also, in terms of off road, I generally restrict my riding to those areas of So-Cal that features conditions more like you would find in the East, or as close as we can find here. High speed desert was never my forte. I like tight single track, or least a course with lots of undulations and turns. I might do some MX next year as the local vintage club offers a modern support class. I have seen a few enduro bikes race on a vintage track and hold their own simply becuase the course isnt taxing to the suspension. There is no need to belabor the point, its a working mans (person) bike

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom