Have you seen the "concept Camaro?"

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I've been a fan of Camaros for a long time and actually owned one for several years. I was sad to see them go a few years ago, but a friend just sent me a link to the concept version that's debuting at the '06 Auto Show in Detroit.

They say they designed this car just to gauge customer reaction, and I like it a lot. Obviously the actual car will be slightly more tame than this concept, but can you say "400hp LS2 aluminum V8 that gets 30 miles to the gallon?" I might have to sell everything I own to get one of these puppies.

http://www.camaroz28.com/

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Oh man! I like that better than the Camaro! It looks like the Challenger concept stays truer to the original than the Camaro does. Very nice!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Man, that Challenger looks just like the 70 I had :) Pretty wild that they are sticking so close to the original!

That Camaro looks killler as well!

B

biglou

I found a slideshow (maybe in my link, not sure) for the new Challenger yesterday and in one of the slides you could see a purple '70 parked right behind the new one. Doesn't that new one look like Chip Foose took a 70 and massaged it on "Overhaulin" or something?! :nod:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
biglou said:
I found a slideshow (maybe in my link, not sure) for the new Challenger yesterday and in one of the slides you could see a purple '70 parked right behind the new one. Doesn't that new one look like Chip Foose took a 70 and massaged it on "Overhaulin" or something?! :nod:

I think one of the articles said that they actually had a '70 Challenger parked in the room as they were designing the new one. The new one is longer and wider than the original. I didn't see any specs on the motor they're putting in the Challenger. The LS2 in the Camaro would be just enough for me though!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The camaro is a better looking 'new' design while the challenger stays more to it's roots. Two totally different approaches both which I believe work well - too bad it's not a plum crazy purple cuda though :(

I know a guy who has 3 pretty nice cuda's which I think I could get for a steal, plum crazy purple, can't remember the name of the funky green and I forget what color the other is. One day I'll buy the plum one.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I owned a '69 Camaro and I liked it a lot. I really don't care fot that concept, not as a retro design or a new shape. It lacks emotion.

Now, the Challenger is a car that moves me. The lease on my new car should be ending about the time that the Challenger comes to market. :)

james_b

Nov 15, 2005
the new challenger is on the cover of this months road and track, they said 425 hp, 420 ft/lbs out of a 6.1 litre (370 ci) hemi, fully independent suspension, and they said it would be backed with a six speed auto, with the option of a standard possibly becoming available, if the car is a go, even though the one pictured had a 6 speed standard, the clutch kinda gave it away. my dad had a 70 r/t in orange, and you should have seen his jaw hit the floor when i brought a copy of r&t into work yesterday... i gotta get rich by 2007 :aj:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
MrLuckey said:
can't remember the name of the funky green
Would that be SubLime?? Both cars are gorgeous, I might have to sell the kids if I can get a 6 spd manual Hemi in that Challenger. Any takers???????

james_b

Nov 15, 2005
FruDaddy said:
Would that be SubLime??

i can't remember for the life of me what the other one was, i know sublime was plymouth, ie: cuda.. but dodge had a different name for it, i'll have to keep looking to find out what it is...

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The paint color names were Plum Crazy, Sublime, Go-Mango, Top Banana, Hemi Orange, and Panther Pink.
taken from http://www.chicagolandmopar.com/features/challenger.htm

I have also found this paint code chart:
Mopar’s 1970 model year “High Impact” exterior colors:
(option code - Dodge/Chrysler-Plymouth)

FC7 - Plum Crazy Metallic/In Violet Metallic (nicknamed “Statutory Grape”)
FJ5 - Sublime/Lime Light
FJ6 - Green Go/Sassy Grass Green
EK2 - Go Mango/Vitamin “C” Orange
FM3 - Panther Pink/Moulon Rouge
V2 - Hemi Orange/Tor Red
FY1 - Top Banana/Lemon Twist.

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
If it was Chip, he's have a two color paint job... the only thing I don't like about his work.

It has a hood stripe. I agree with you though ...

I like the Camaro better. Of course, being a Chevy man from the time I started driving, I always was disappointed that the Camaro never was a popular as the Mustang.

The Challenger does not do a lot for me.

Speaking of Lime Green. Here is a blast from the past that I saw at the BBORR last April. If I remember correctly, it ran in the 150 MPH class. I know he won his class.

Attachments

• IMG_1288-LR.JPG
    IMG_1288-LR.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1387-LR.JPG
    IMG_1387-LR.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1535-LR.JPG
    IMG_1535-LR.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 48

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks for the refresher Fru, although I am really more of a Chebby man I always liked the funky names they had for those colors lol. Truth be told though - my dream car.... a real shelby cobra..mint condition. Now what did I do with that extra $120,000 that I had laying around lol.

Top Bottom