tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Well here I go again!
HB 4323 is on the move again and I NEED you to write your Senator and Senator Birkholtz.
Please read post below and repond.
Thank you in advance

Thomas Dunn

Print - Close Window
To: "Dick" <dranney1@charter.net>
Subject: Fw: ORV HB 4323
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:39:12 -0500
Things are picking up on HB 4323. The bill is very much alive, legislators returned yesterday and will begin business after the "state of state" address by the Governor in a few days.

Of recent, two townships in Roscommon County passed favorable ORV ordinances and along comes the DNR and writes 68 citations. Makes one wonder if HB 4323 fails, who will be next?

In the next few days, legislative leaders will be deciding what bills will get action in 08. They are way behind because of all the time spent on budget matters in 07, very little legislation got dealt with.

All of you are strongly urged to contact your State Senator, again, and voice your support of HB 4323 "as presented from the House". Encourage your ORV friends and community leaders to do likewise.

We must never forget, our opposition is working just as hard as we are to defeat the bill, but we have the upper hand because of our numbers, IF WE RALLY the troops.

HB 4323 "is the right thing to do" in managing ORV activity, to offer greater emphasis on safety, to give further protection to our environment, offer convenience to the user, increased recreational opportunity and creating an economic generator that will operate twelve months out of a year.

This bill can be passed at no cost to Michigan taxpayers and benefits a very large segement of Michigan in tourist dollars, sales and taxes of new machines, parts and accessories, food, lodging and travel.

A few thousand e-mails to Lansing over the next few days will be very critical in the passage of HB 4323. Send one to your Senator, to Senator Michael Bishop and Senator Patricia Birkholz. They need to know we still care!

later, Dick

----- Original Message -----
To: thad@houghtonlakerentals.com ; rpace@freeway.net ; reporter@roscommonherald-news.com ; supervisor.richfield@charterinternet.com ; frmadaras@charter.net ; kr2001fran@aol.com ; info@eastbaylodge.com ; info@comfortsuiteslakeside.com ; hlholidayinnexpress@charterinternet.com ; pietchak@i2k.com ; tommc@freeway.net ; tpa48656@lycos.com ; northernaire@i2k.com ; deamud@charterinternet.com ; pandmhorgan@stellardirect.com ; drboggs@freeway.net ; mejarvi@charter.net ; info@visithoughtonlake.com ; pastula33@charter.net ; hlcc@houghtonlakemichigan.net ; barrypoindexter@yahoo.com ; bksisson@charter.net ; pspicer@spicersboatcity.com ; dmj9873@charter.net ; northernexcapes@charterinternet.com ; sandya@i2k.com ; cjsresort@yahoo.com ; glenn.schicker@houghtonlakeresorter.com ; mwitz36@charter.net ; dean@stateelec.com ; lyman@charter.net ; lpress@i2k.com ; tomhresorter@voyager.net ; kimberly5955@yahoo.com ; jmaiani@charter.net ; fredchidester@i2k.net ; bobg@charterinternet.com ; supervisor@roscommontownship.com ; asher@i2k.com ; markey@i2k.com ; lfrey@twmi.rr.com ; boydpj@michigan.gov ; twesor@hotmail.com ; gpapy23@hotmail.com ; bsouder@freeway.net ; info@springbrookinn.com ; ddietzel@freeway.net ; rcrc@charterinternet.com ; doug@millerslakeshoreresort.com ; mackenzie@m33access.com ; 3fanforever@centurytel.net ; rmg1174@yahoo.com ; spike8290@yahoo.com ; perrypa@michigan.gov ; bkerns@spicersboatcity.com ; rick@hackersyamaha.com ; moberlymoses@aol.com ; hdrider95ann@aol.com ; lwbyrd@excite.com ; orourket@charterinternet.com ; sheriff@roscommoncounty.net ; mikebutler45@gmail.com ; lynniek53@hotmail.com ; raywantuck@core.com ; info@denboer.com ; lyontwptreasurer@charterinternet.com ; lwbusch@charter.net
Cc: Ranney, Dick
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 1:32 PM
Subject: ORV HB 4323

Hi all!

Joel Sheltrown's House Bill 4323 enhancing Act 451, Section 324.81131 giving local units of government the authority to open county road shoulders to ORV traffic, is being discussed in the senate amongst a group of bills up for consideration for being brought to the senate floor for a possible vote. The enactment of HB 4323 would greatly enhance the ability of Roscommon County to welcome the ORVer without their fear of being ticketed for riding on our roads. It is a matter of great importance to our economy, as it would afford us the ability to open our recreational area to another tourism market we are currently not enjoying to it's fullest. You can help by E-mailing, calling, or faxing the following senators asking HB 4323 be brought out of committee to be presented to the full senate for a vote to pass:

Senator Office Ph. No. Fax No. E-mail Address

Birkholz, Patricia (R-Saugatuck Twp) (Cmte. Chair) 517-373-3447 517-373-5849 senpbirkholz@senate.michigan.gov

Bishop, Mike (R-Rochester) (Majority Leader) 517-373-2417 517-373-2694 senmbishop@senate.michigan.gov

McManus, Michelle (R-Leland Twp) 517-373-1725 517-373-0741 senmmcmanus@senate.michigan.gov

Allen, Jason (R-Traverse City) 517-373-2413 517-373-5144 senjallen@senate.michigan.gov

Stamas, Tony (R-Midland) 517-373-7946 517-373-2678 www.senate.michigan.gov/gop/senator/stamas

These senators are key individuals in the effort to get the bill before the whole senate. It wouldn't hurt to E-mail the Michigan Association of Counties (MAC) and the Michigan Townships Association (MTA) asking for their support, too. The legislative liason contact for MAC is Bradley Comment, at comment@micounties.org and for MTA is David Bertram, at david@michigantownships.org. They are already actively involved, but a little more encouragement will never hurt!

This is the opportunity we've been waiting for! PLEASE do your part and start E-mailing or calling right away! For those of you that have or know of other groups or associations that can help this effort, by all means contact them to urge they send E-mails, etc. too. Be nice, but be sure these folks know for certain we desire this legislation be passed and we ARE VOTERS! This legislation will cost Michigan nothing but can offer great value in increased tourism for a state wallowing in a sad economic morass. Let them know we are counting on them to help bring Michigan back to the forefront in the countries' recreational market. Their affirmative vote is VITAL!!

Regards,

Tom Rose, Chair
Roscommon County ORV Task Force

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
DONE

Thanks Tommy!

GregB

Aug 22, 2005
I as well already sent another volley of e-mails to the Senators on HB 4323...hoping for a vote in the Senate son!!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I am in...
Woodsy

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Per our local paper TC Record Eagle, recently in Manistee County a proposed ordinance, to allow ORV's on designated county roads was defeated. The same vote is coming up soon in Benzie county.
Any info. on this, does it tie into the HB?

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
TCTrailrider said:
Per our local paper TC Record Eagle, recently in Manistee County a proposed ordinance, to allow ORV's on designated county roads was defeated. The same vote is coming up soon in Benzie county.
Any info. on this, does it tie into the HB?

The answer is:
Yes to a point.
Several counties and townships have either had or are looking to pass an ordinaice to allow ORV's to ride roads to and from trails.
Without the HB4323 passage, these are ALL in danger of being rendered illegal!

At each of the meetings in the areas that are looking to add an ordinaice to allow this, the State Police, DNR and County Road Commissions, have brought statistics that are untruthful at best,using Data that does not exsist.
At he meetings we have been able to get to we have the ability to call into question their data and stats. without being able to get to them all they go pretty much unopposed.

They also have been bringing up the Attorney Generals office's opinion given last year calling into question the legality of ordinances. This was not an official AG opinion but they use it as such.

If we cannot garner the support to get HB4323 on the Senate Floor and passed we stand a good chance of losing ALL the counties and Townships that we already have!

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
HB4323 MOVING!

4323 Moving
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:15:05 -0500
HB 4323 MOVING?

All indications are YES! In talking with a Senate contact, I was instructed to start getting our things together. Subject matter, people and FACTS! We will have about a four day notice before the hearing date. Everything must be in power point presentation and six copies. Appears we are just a few weeks out before a final decision.

We can continue to some degree on our present theme, HB 4323 IS INTENDED TO MANAGE THE ORV ACTIVITY and will do so by INCREASING SAFETY by having additional enforcement, INCREASED ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION providing for stiffer penalties. CONVIENANCE to the user for the simple errands. INCREASED RECREATIONAL OPPORTUNITY, giving locals and tourist reason to enjoy Michigan ’s out of doors. Creating an ECONOMIC GENERATOR for the entire state in taxes collected, increased tourism and jobs provided.

We need the following to step up with facts in hand on economic benefit, presentations supported by fact regarding safety matters. We need plans on how your community or county, has or may offer, activity concerning ORV use such as routes, trails in the area, campgrounds.

Give me a call at 989 469-2405 if you think you may have something we can use. We MUST remember, the more fact we offer, the better chance we have of winning. We CANNOT go into the hearing with our comments based on emotions! Everything offered will be placed before the proper people and judged on what to use and what not. Every single area is important as we must educate the Senators on the Committee and those on the floor for the final vote.

Waiting for your response.

Later, Dick Ranney

E-mail: dranney1@charter.net

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Good News!
The HB4323 Will be coming to a hearing will know just before months end on date.Problem being will only be able to give a 4 day notice to get you there to fill the Capitol! need 75 to 100 people to attend!

Top Bottom