Head set steering nut, How Tight?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
The steering stem nut. How tight should it be? I know there should be no play in the front forks but should the handlebars turn completely free, or should it be a little snug? What I noticed was when the bike was on the center stand the front end would flop to one side if it wasn't too tight, then if it was a little tighter the bars would only turn if you put a little pressure on them.

I don't have the special Yamaha tool that I can connect my torque wrench to so I'm doing this by feel. Yamaha states the torque wrench should be set to 27 ft-lbs.

Any ideas?

B

biglou

I use channel locks on mine. I like mine to just barely not flop to the side unless I give it a little nudge. I know, not real scientific, but it's worked so far...

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Mike T, what year/ model is your bike? I assume it's a Yamaha.

There are two nuts on the steering head. The steering stem locking nut is the one that holds the lower fork clamps and the steering stem into the head of the frame. This is what preloads the bearings. The steering stem nut is the one that hold the upper fork clamps to the stering stem.

Just to give you a comparison number, my manual states 59-73 ft lbs for a 1991-1995 RM-250. That is for the steering stem nut only, not the steering stem locking nut. When looking in my wonderfully indescript manual for the steering stem locking nut torque, the manual tells me to go to the torque chart. Of course nothing is listed in the chart for the locking nut.

I would suggest using a version of the automotive front wheel bearing method. Tighten the lock nut to the specified torque. Move the steering head from lock to lock about 5 times to seat the bearings. Losen the locking nut, then retighten until resistence is felt. Make sure the head moves freely.

I have used a "crows foot socket" for torqueing nuts in a tight spot. You could always remove the handle bars to get a regular socket on there.

Hope this helps, Steve.

chewy

Oct 25, 2001
Just adjust them so the bars flop to one side and rest on the steering stop without bouncing when hitting it. Also make sure they don't bind before getting there.

Take in account the restriction of throttle/clutch cables and wiring too.

Ride and test afterwards. If it headshakes badly just knip them up a bit more (cheap and nasty steering stabiliser!)
New bearings may require adjusting after a few rides.

Enjoy...

Top Bottom