slappy123456

Oct 2, 2001
I have a 01 ktm 300exc just wondering how may watts the lighting coil is, which headlight is brightest with stock setup, has anybody tried grip heaters do they actually work. can you buy stock headlight bulb at auto parts store, can you put higher wattage bulb in stock housing, any help would be appreciated, thanks:eek:

ktm_vet_rydr

Jan 16, 2002
i'm not sure if your 300 is the same as my 520, but it came set up on the low beam. move the brown wire to the other connection on the headlight socket and vola, the high beam is on. this was a much better set up for me. the grip heaters are the bomb. it does make the grips feel alot thicker, but this is small in comparison to warm hands. best thing is that you can transfer the heaters from one bike to the next. i picked mine up through Enduro Engineering about 4 years ago. throw the directions out and follow the tips from the man, Dick Burleson, which can be found in the April 98 issue of Dirt Rider. he sets the heaters up with the resistor on the grip side because the grip is thinner than the clutch side so the heat is equal to both hands. i ride when the temps are below freezing with standard riding gloves!! try EE www.enduroeng.com :)

Iceman

Jan 15, 2002
ktm_vet is correct about the Enduro Engineering heated grips!! They are the way to go. Ditto for the Dick B. tips

One other addition, instead of the risistor for the left grip, install a Boysen flex grip. Makes getting on and off easier. Purchase and extra throttle tube for the right side, for ease of installation too.
Mark Hyde has this set up, and won't leave home without them for winter riding.
We use them all the time here in Antarctica.:D

trailblazer

~SPONSOR~
Nov 27, 2000
Your lighting coil only provides about 40 watts of power. With the heated grips installed, you will only be able to run the lights with the grips off; or, the heated grips with the lights turned off. Stock lighting coil is marginal at best.

I have installed the aftermarket lighting coil (electrex ) for a late model suzuki rm250 in my '99 ktm 300exc. this provides about 80 watts of power. it is enough to operate a 30 watt halogen headlight, 10 watt tailight and the heated grips. with heated grips on high setting, the lights dim somewhat, but everything still works.

hope this helps.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I run the under the grip type heater that EE sells on my snowmobile because I like to use normal dirtbike grips on it. I got them at my local accesory shop for about $20.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Kevin Hines has a complete handlebar setup he transfers onto the bike in the winter with the grips. He runs an old throttle tube on the left side glued to the bar to act as an insulator that matches the throttle tube on the right. He recommends installing the switch because hi can get really hot sometimes.

I have them on one bike and they come in handy year around in the mountains.

slappy123456

Oct 2, 2001
so which is it my manuel says it has a 110watt lighting coil

im not sure but the brochure says the lighting coil is 110watts sounds like false advertising to me. its a 01ktm300exc ive heard about every number between 40-110 watts even the dealer doesnt know even my owners manual says one thing and the brochure says another. its got me confused as hell. I love the bike , works real well in the chat dumps , can be a bit of a handfull in the tight woods, but its probably me not used to it quite yet, just off a 94 kx250. dont miss it a bit. thanks for the help

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
The 300 does not even have a generator (DC), it has an alternator (AC). Your system will not fry; most likely all that will happen is your headlight will dim.

I wired up a KDX the other day and exceeded its stator output when the headlight, rear marker, and brake elements were lit. No smoke occured I assure you.

ktm300mxczz

Mod Ban
Oct 17, 2000
tex

your vocabulary correction is correct your advise is wrong it will draw more amps than the wires were designed to handle thus oxydizing the wire thus lower the cuurent carring capacity thus frying slang,I know this to be true as many customer seek new stators eventually after trying this.

Top Bottom