Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
Firelily needs heated grips :( for her KDX220r. I was told I would have to have the stator rewound to provide the correct amperage. Also , her after market Acerbis dual head light will not fully glow- same problem?
Can anyone tell me where to have the stator rewound if that is the problem?
Thanks, Buddy :thumb:

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
Baja Designs can rewind it to 70 watts. If I'm correct, the dual head lights are 35 watts each. There's 70 watts, plus 10 to 30 watts (I think?) for the grips, plus the tail lights 10 watts.

It can be wired so one head light is on with the tail light and the grips on low. If you use a single pole double throw switch, you can wire it so you can switch between head lights (spot or flood). If you replace the tail light with a LED lamp or remove it you could probably have the grips on high.

Just some suggestions.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Buddy,
my CRE has an e-line lighting system with 2 x 100 watts. One of the 100 watt leads goes to hot grips with an off/lo/hi switch. The other 100 watts goes to the head and tail lights. Not sure if they make the 2 x 100 watts lighting coil for a KDX. It's pricey but it works. www.elineaccessories.com

On high, the hot grips w/100 watts do get hot! Nice on cold mornings or if your hands get wet. Low setting is nice and warm - if the switch gets knocked from off to low on a hot day you will notice the grips getting warmer. Not sure what the minimum watts are for the hot grips, but I think it is more than 10 - 30. It will be difficult to get your stock system to power hot grips and a decent light at the same time, so you would need to add a switch to run one or the other.

If cold hands are a problem for her, she could also try glove liners and larger than normal plastic guards for her bark busters.

Last edited:

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Buddy,
Ditto, some thin polypropelene glove liners will add a lot of comfort and warmth, too. Both my wife and I have found the liners keep our hands warm with temps in the 30's.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
You could also try those little packs that create heat though a chemical reaction. They ususally last several hours. I use them all the time when snowmobiling or dirtbiking in the winter.

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
Thank you all: Great suggestions. Yep we did the gloves and liners. Now to get coiler rewound for lighting. Then I'll switch between Light and Grip warmer- life is tuff for Firelily on the trail sometimes- alittle light and warmth will go a long way for her. I'll get onto Baja Designs and post the results when I'm finished. Thanks again.
buddy

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You don't have to rewind (bike down for the interim). You can buy aftermarket coils (electrex makes a 70 watter). You'll needa flywheel puller, and if you don't have air tools, a flywheel holder. You can make your own (holder). Tip on CDave's site. Basically a board with a couple of holes drilled in it.

Make sure the flywheel is torqued correctly on reassy. Easy to shear the woodruff key if you don't. In which case, you are going nowheres!

The dual acerbis can be configured for something other that dual 35s, if that's what it's got. Yes, that is why they are dim.

Something to keep in mind when wiring. Don't forget the regulator! It's wired 'behind' the connection at the headlight shell, so if you have two circuits going, both have to be connected to the VR. In that case, a SPDT with output of the stator wired to common won't work. You'll have to wire the stator output to the regulator, THEN to the switch.

No big deal, just something to be aware of. Making yourself a bit of a drawing of what you're after might help. Just keep in mind it's the regulated voltage you need through the switch..NOT the stator output. It's easy to do the wrong way cuz that's how kawi does it for their single headlamp shell..they run the output through the switch..NOT the regulated voltage.

BTW...a lighting coil change is noted by mr. fredette to be a performance booster. Gets you better spark. No, I don't know why that is so, but an electrex coil on my and my riding buddy's '00 had that effect.

Some flux field magic going on. Gotta' love FM!! ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom