Heavy rider needs spring help ><

Status
Not open for further replies.

slocal85

Jul 28, 2006
So I recently bought an 2003 RM85 to learn on, only problem is I weigh 220 lbs and the rear suspension is killing me. I am unable to plant the rear tire out of corners, and it constantly wants to "buck" and slide me off the seat

I went to the Racetech suspension website, and their calculator recommended a 6.7kg/mm spring....too bad the stiffest spring they offer is 5.2 kg/mm.

Am I out of luck?

The rear Showa on this bike has dimensions of 52.5x46.5x250
and from my research, I can't find anything built for a rider heavier than 150 lbs. Thanks for any advice

green250mx

Jul 28, 2006
u need a bigger bike man, if this is ur pipe dream get some serious cash an get a pair of enzo sub tanks

slocal85

Jul 28, 2006
sorry, guess i wasn't specific enough. googled "enzo sub tanks" and came up with a product for the front fork. My main issues are with the rear shock, especially the spring.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Unfortunately the bike you bought is built for a rider who averages about 90-100 lbs. It's unlikely you'll be able to spring that bike to work for your weight.

scatman

Mi. Trail Riders
Damn Yankees
Jul 15, 2006
Sorry dude, but do yourself and the bike a favor and get something else. How tall are you? Im roughly your weight , 5' 11" and I ride a CR250R. I used to ride a KX80 when I was 13 and about 110lbs. Just being honest...not trying to be rude or hurtfull.

slocal85

Jul 28, 2006
From what it sounds like, guess it is a lost cause. This is my first dirt bike, no use killing myself on a 250 that I can't control. This 85 gives me enough work as is. My riding partners have klx110s, so I wanted something similar in size/power.

I see alot of full grown guys riding pit bikes, which must have beefed up rear suspensions to hold the extra weight.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Get a KTM 125 EXC or similar if you want something that is easy to ride.

If you're not a dwarf, one of those will by much easier to learn on than a friggin 85(which is a full-on MX race bike with an engine that is meant to scream(under a 12-year old)).

xxBLAZExx

Jun 18, 2006
Yeah what he said..well kind of :whoa:
If I were you I would look into getting a 125. I am about the same weight as you(a little heavier actually) and my 125 is working out great! :cool: I do find myself wanting more power now that I have learned to ride better but the suspension is great! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom