kathy127

Nov 10, 2001
Well, you all helped with Question #1 re:chain tension, so I am hoping for more help with setting up the shock suspension.
I know that you are supposed to set the shock up for 35 mm static sag, but I read (and it is true) that with the bike on the stand, you can step on the rear wheel and you get another 10mm of sag!!!
So is the 35 mm static sag at the 'free-hang' position or with the foot on the wheel pressing it down?
And does anyone know of lighter shock springs than the PDS5 or 0, which are apparently the same? I only weigh 122 lbs.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Static sag is measured with the bike upright, off the stand, no foot on the wheel.  Bounce the bike 2-3 times to settle it into the proper position for static sag.

I'd ask Jeremy Wilkey on the suspenion page about other springs.  You could also shoot an e-mail to Enduro Engineering's site for assistance.  I'm sure either could help you out, they're first rate people. 

You're doing the right thing by looking at spring rate FIRST before worrying about much else.  Don't forget to look at different fork spring rates too.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I'm using the PDS 0, which was a vast improvement for me over the 1, and I have also played with the rebound some which also helped. I am learning this by the seat of my pants though so I'm no expert.

I was told that if I wanted a softer spring yet, I could go to a straight rate spring, but I am not sure how that would work with the linkless suspension.

BTW I am 135-ish ;)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Dont be afraid of trying a straight rate-i used them on my sx and really liked them.They dont feel massively different to ride-i bet if you bolted one up and didnt tell the rider they wouldnt know.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
One thing that Jeremy Wilkey told me that really helped set up my suspension was to dial the compression first to your liking, then begin to change the rebound. I live in Florida and we have a combination of dirt and deep sand, by dialing in the compression first, making it stiffer, then dialing out the rebound made worlds of difference in helping the bike remain stable.
Good luck

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I'm running a straight-rate spring too, and have been since almost day 1. They're less expensive, and not that much different.  Alan Randt recomended it, and I haven't looked back.

Top Bottom