heli coil install?

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
My buddy is giving me an 86cr125 that needs a clutch and a retap on the oil drain plug. I figure ill put a heli coil in it. I have a basic understanding on how to do it, but how do you keep all those metal pieces out of the bottom end? I read somewhere that putting a small rag in there, then when you pull it out it should pull the pieces out. Does this work? Also will i need to buy a std bolt of the heli coil or will the stock metric one work?

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I did a plug hole and used a dab of grease on the tap so that the shavings stuck to that. Worked fine.
Bob

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
What colemanapp said. You can get helicoils in pretty much any size you want either metric or sae. Myself I would look at one of the other brands of thread inserts. There are a couple and they don't use a wound spring like helicoil, they use solid inserts that you flare once they are threaded to the proper depth. Sav-A-Thread© is one and ......?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
COLEMANAPP said:
I did a plug hole and used a dab of grease on the tap so that the shavings stuck to that. Worked fine.
Bob

Bodge.

I second the dab of grease on the tap. Another thing that helps if you have compressed air in your work area is to blow a little air pressure into the crankcase breather tube as you are tapping out the drain hole. The little pieces of metal that are not stuck to the grease will be blown back out the drain hole as you are tapping. :cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The little end that the helicoil tool fits to, should be broken off and kept out of the gearbox. Needlenose and a good grip should get it. I wouldn't leave it on.

I like to put in some fluid and drain it out a couple times to make sure no shavings.

Great idea, 89r.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…