kxgirl1

Sep 1, 2005
Hi! I'm getting a Kx80 in a few weeks. I guess you can say that i'm graduating from 4-wheelers to dirtbikes. I've been riding four wheelers since i was 14. I was warned that this bike has power band..and i've heard quite abit about it here on the website. now i'm a girl..i weigh approx. 100lbs and about 5'7" i'm actually stronger than your thinking. Would this be a good bike for me to start out on. NOTE- I've have ridden dirtbikes before but not that often. Thanks

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Sure, you'd be able to handle it. Some people recommend TTR, KLX, DRZ 125s or a CRF 150 because they are smoother, but an 80 isn't impossible. You will just learn throttle control a lot quicker--and it will have much better suspension. In fact, at 5'7" you will probably outgrow it pretty fast--I am 5'7" and feel totally cramped on an 80. You'd be tip-toe on a full-size bike (I am) and maybe if you shaved the seat foam down, you could look into that for the future. Have fun and keep us posted.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Hello I'm a oldbie :)

Welcome to DRN and you'll do fine on the bike, just take it slow at first. My girls learned on a KX 65 and that thing will put me on my back side if it revs and I'm sitting too far back. Have fun two wheel are sooo much more fun. :nod:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

Be sure and go to your User CP and update information relating to your location, type of riding, etc. After that grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself.

We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts. That line worked again! Thanks FC for the great response.

Regarding which bike is the best, you might want to check out the Bikes for the Ladies thread in the Women's Forum. Ask any questions that you might have and I am sure you will get all the answers that you will want. Some of the finest women in dirtbikes hang out in there daily, FC among them.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Just be careful on the throttle at first and find a soft, open field to experiment with the power band on before taking to the trail with hard objects around. When the power band comes on, the front wheel will want to come up most likely, so posture yourself forward till you get used to it. Eventually it will become your best friend, lurking and ready for your blip of the throttle to launch you off of something or pop your front wheel in the air to get over an obstacle. You'll love it!

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Might even look at the KX100 or CR85 Expert. They are a little taller and dont weigh much more at all. My wife is about your height and weight and she loves her KX100. It sounds like it may be more powerful, but its just a little taller and perhaps a little smoother of a motor. She also started on a KX80. She didnt like the powerband much. Especially learning on narrow trails. She always felt like she would fly off of a cliff. Then she graduated to a XR200, she loved the power but outgrew the suspension quickly. So far the KX100 is a great fit. Enough power and light enough for her to pull it out of any bush or mud puddle. And better brakes and suspension than the XR line.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom