Dec 31, 2008
I am looking at getting a top quality helmet. I would like to give myself as much protection as possible so Im not too worried about price, although I would still like to find a good deal. Alot of helmets have some great cool designs and what not, but I rather get a plain white helmet thats cheaper that offers the same amount or more protection than one with some fancy desings. Basically I am wondering with these expensive helmets am I paying for protection or design? How can I tell the difference between what I am paying for? I dont mind spending $500 on a helmet if its worth it, but if im paying $500 that offers the same amount of protection as a $200 helmet just because of the desing, ill go with the $200 one. hopefully I am explaining myself clear?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
http://www.smf.org/ might give you some good info to think over. Also getting a good helmet that fits is better than a better helmet that doesn't fit properly. Everybody has different lump and shapes to there noggin, go and try on several different lids and see which one feels the best. I agree a white helmet that protects is a lot cooler than a paper mache helmetthat looks cool, especially when you don't need a drool cup and wheel chair.

Dec 31, 2008
maybe a few of the top brands? that would help limit my search alot as there are a ton of companies making helmets to choose from. for example, alpinestar,sidi, and gearne seem to be the top boots, how about helmets?

thanks for the link patman.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Arai and Shoei are the top helmets but that doesn't mean all the rest are crap. They just have the best reputation.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
I have worn both Shoei and Arai.Bell didn't fit my head shape.But I have to say my Arai's fit and feel is much better than my Shoei.The quality is much better also.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Look at the industry standards that the company (and model) meets, then find out what is required to recieve these certifications. DOT standards are great on paper, but it is an honor system, the manufacturer test their owen products and decides whether of not they meet the requirement. Snell, on hte other hand, not only tests manufacturer provided items, but they also buy off the rack to ensure that the product that reach the consumer are of the same quality as the products that were tested. On the down side, there are those who believe that Snell approved helmets allow your head to recieve excessive G loads. If you look to the European makes, you can find ECE helmets, which may well be the least controversial. Definitely, try the helmet on first, and make sure that it is a good snug fit. I see too many kids out there wearing loose helmets, and their parents don't seem to care. The best helmet on the planet can't do it's job after it gets knocked off (and I have seen it happen).

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
I'm not sure about the specs, but i got a scorpion helmet that use on the street that i like alot and they make some nice dirt bike helmets that aren't to expensive

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Hebo might be a ECE brand you could pick up in the states. I have one of the full carbon versions (well actually 2 one is a trials open face and the other a full face off road) which is so feather light it's amazing. Mine came from Lewis Sport but I don't believe they carry them currently, might be woth a shot to ask though.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Keep in mind that the higher price doesn't mean better protection. It typically means lighter weight.

More than anything else you want the helmet to fit right.

Rod

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I was given an Arai as a gift (very expensive) and it's the best fitting helmet I've ever put on. I never thought of trying one on due to the price being out of my budget range but after owning one, I'll never skimp again on price for a helmet that fits as good as my Arai.

Dec 31, 2008
just to make sure.... a ece approved helmet is better than a dot & snell apporved helmet? i checked out the suomy website..very nice, although they seem to cater more to street racing.

Top Bottom