JPEracing

May 18, 2003
Thanks again to all that were kind enough to answer my questions on boots.
Now we am looking at helmets. Again the full face MX style just isnt going to do it.
Now there are several "trials specfic" helmet manufactors I`ve been able to find on the internet.
Only the Shoei TR-3 states a DOT approval in it`s advertising. Do any of the other brands have certifcation by DOT or Snell ?
Again, open to any and all comments.
Thanks

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
After trying most of the readily available (in NZ) helmets on I found that they had such different shapes that you really need to find one that fits correctly rather than worry too much about anything else. I found that the Yes helmets fit was a bit too big around the sides of my head, and that the NZI helmets were just not comfortable so I ended up with a Bieffe - which is just right - light and comfortable. I could not try on the Shoei or the Arai, because they are not readily available over here, and I didn't want to order something as critical by mail order (and they cost far too much!!! NZ$900 - ouch!!). I think that the Bieffe helmets are distributed by Parts Unlimited in the US, so they should be available from just about any dealer. However the Shoei is probably a better quality helmet if you can afford one - just be sure to try one on first!!

Good Luck.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I doubt you'll see Snell or DOT certifications on too many trials lids. I know my NZI carbon fiber doesn't sport them but I am comfortable that it will provide the protection I need in a trial situation. One the same note I won't wear it while riding my off road bike because it's not designed for that type of use. If you decide that the certification is not a big issue I'd strongly suggest trying on as many as possible fit fit. If you like the NZI fit then spend the extra money for the carbon model it's all of 650 grams.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Yeah - as Patman says, Trials helmets are made for low speed crashes, they are a bit lightly made for anything else. I certainly wouldn't use one on the road or even for dual sport riding. I couldn't be confident that it would take a major impact without falling to bits. Saying that the standards such as DOT or Snell don't really apply when you're going so slowly, but if you are going to use it for both purposes there are other half face helmets available which should have the standards stickers (Shoei and Arai both have cruiser style helmets which are suitable for road use).

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I know my HEBO has, what I beleive is European equivalent of N. America's DOT sticker on it. It think you will find this marking on some other trials helmets. Seems many are made in Europe and only bother to get the approvals need for there.

There also seems to be a difference between "indoor" and "outdoor" helmets...or at least that is how it was described to me. Indoor helmets tend to be much lighter and thin shelled (more like bicycle lids)...where as the others look more like traditional motorcycle helmets (thicker liner, shell, etc).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom