GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I Cleaned It!!!!!

My first section, that is.  And it all went downhill from there! :whiner: Nonetheless, those who know me know that I always post about my rides, good or bad, and this one is no exception!  I just got home and I'm sore, stiff, bruised, in need of two more Advil.

I experienced my first Trials event this weekend, the Tooth Fairy Trials at La Porte, CA.  I don't own a Trials bike, so I was going to ride my kTm between stations and Karna and I were going to switch off riding each section on her Montessa 315R.  I had ridden her Trials bike a total of 1.7 minutes before the event, and one time I rode a demo at the Cow Palace.  I figured that would be enough (lol!)

Karna, Justin and I drive the 3 hours or so North to La Porte, a beautiful mountain town in the high sierras.  The event is going to consist of the Saturday Family Trials and the real event on Sunday.  To me this is kind of like the Wild Piglet/Wild Boar Enduro where the Saturday event is more of a fun, family oriented event.  I'm feeling no pressure and I'm looking forward to riding the 4 line.

I honestly thought it would go like this:  Ride the bike through a section and manuever through a few turns, maybe roll over a little rock or something.  Pick up points when I have to put my foot down.  If I simply must crash, I get a 5.  This a FAMILY style Trials event, right?  I'm thinking I can handle it. 

We get to the parking area and change into our gear.  I notice that everyone has the Trials style open face helmet.  I see gear with weird, unfamiliar names like "Hebe" and "Clice".  I see a few guys sporting these lycra looking unitards and I think of blue Gumbys.  This must be the uniform of the pros?  I also see a fair amount of Thor, Fox, MSR and the full face helmet I am used to, so I figure I won't stand out too much.  

I ride my kTm over to the sign in area to renew my AMA membership and sign up for the Novice 4 Line group.  That's when I started sticking out like a sore thumb.  People were oggling my kTm and asking me all kinds of questions about it, almost like they'd never seen one before.  Justin told me later that it would be like when someone brought a Trials bike to an enduro and due to unfamiliarity, people usually ask about it and want to know more about it.  He said the trials community might not necessarily have the same familiarity with an enduro bike like mine. 

Justin is going to be our "minder" and we head to the first section after the rider's meeting.  Everyone's heading down the fireroad to our first section.  There's a little mud puddle on the right and I instinctively gravitate toward it.  I later apologize to the two guys on trials bikes behind me who I just roosted.:o  I really wasn't thinking.  (Trials people don't do that to each other?)

I watch a few riders go through the first section.  It looks easy enough.  Go over a little mound of dirt, make a sweeping right hand over a small rock garden while negotiating a tree, stay in the lines and exit the section.  Karna goes through with no trouble and gets a zero score.  I am a little "butterflied" now but quell the feeling and get ready for my turn.  My biggest issue is starts.  They are not smooth, but rather jerky.  I get on the pegs and meander my way through the section....over the rocks....Justins telling me to look ahead, I do and then exit the section.  SECTION CLEANED!!!  Man that was a piece of cake!  I'm ready to give the Montessa back to Karna and get on my kTm and get to the next section.

We head through some more fire road and then a little single track and a downhill and then what's this??? We have to go over a long rock garden of sorts to get to more trail that leads us to the section.  :think: What's with the rock garden?  I thought the "technical" stuff was saved for the different check points.  Okay, whatever, but I'm thinking some kids are going to have trouble getting in between sections......

Section 2 was a little more tricky:  Up and over a mound, semi sharp left hander, tight left hander to get around a large rock, left handed off cambre down into a rock garden the UP a hill to the end.  I walk the line like everyone else.....I think I can do it.   I notice all the youngins from the last section didn't seem to have any trouble getting to Section 2.

When its my turn, I wobble a bit getting started but move forward.  I instinctively pull in the clutch because I need to slow down to make the right hander...I then rev the throttle to keep my rpms up....boy I'm making a lot of noise and I'm not going anywhere to boot.  I get down to that rock and have to put my foot down.  I go to sit and......there's no seat!  Damn, I gotta remember that seat thing....this is getting kinda ugly.  Why am I sweating so much?  ITs really hot out.....Man I didn't realize 20 people were going to be watching me do this!  I paddle my way around the rock and get moving toward the off-camber.  I know I'm going to need some momentum.  I'm clutching and revving , clutch-rev, clutch-rev, rev rev rev......!  Justin, my trusty minder, is trying to tell me something but I can't hear him over the sound of my revving engine.  I dab dab dab paddle paddle paddle my way through the off camber without falling over and then gun it to get up the hill.  I think my score was a three, coulda been a 5.  I'm hot and sweaty and I just want to get back on my kTm and head down the road to the next section...cool off and regroup.

Section 3 looks a lot easier...or so I thought.  I nice loopy circle through some trees.  I get a jerky start again.  I somehow get through the section.  The checker, a very nice gentleman, informs me that he must give me a score of 5 "for going backwards" :ugg:

Karna has been cleaning most of her sections, doing great.  Justin pulls me aside and asks me to do about a dozen "starts" I'm kind of hot and sweaty and tired and my legs are starting to hurt from all this standing.  All this waiting for my turn and all these spectating eyes have got me feeling somewhat flustered.  I just want some water and a cool place to take my helmet off and rest a bit.  I do the dozen or so "starts" that Justin wants me to do.  Start, Stop, Start, Stop.  I manage to actually balance on the Montessa for a few brief moments and this gets a "Wow Nanu!" out of both Karna and Justin (their son calls me Nanu)  I'm feeling better.  Time to go to the fourth section.

We have to take some twisty single track up a hill to the next section.  Again I wonder why they make getting from section to section a little technical?  What's up with that???  How do the kids handle it?  We get up to the top and I notice all the kids have made it and all seem to be cleaning this section.  Shaley loose rocks, a tight left hander, go between two trees, left hander, exit.  I paddle my way through this one, but the checker gives me a 5 "for killing the engine"

Station Five:  a complete rock garden, left hander, left hander, exit.  This time I get a score of 5 "for losing momentum" :think: By this time I was REALLY tired, wore out, okay a little irritable, sweating like a pig, confused, feeling weird about the Montessa and how to handle it, this whole not being able to sit thing, all these eyes watching me, etc......I questioned the checker's thought process on the 5 since I had stopped before on another station and gotten a three and what the heck was "loss of momentum" anyway?  "Its still a 5" she informed me, with just a hint of a raised eyebrow and clenched lips.

The last section, 6, look a whole lot more fun than all these other sections and I was sooooooooo ready for a little relief.  I had sucked down the last of my water and I was in dire need a little boost to my confidence.  The section looked easy enough.  A little uphill, a few rocks, trees, loop to the right, exit.  I got a score of three this time, so I must a have dabbed a few times.  No loss of momentun this time, however.

Karna tells me that she is going to take our score cards to the main desk and pick up two more.  She tells me to meet her back at section 1 and we will start the loop again.  I agree and head to the truck to refill my water supply.  Man am I wore out.  This trials stuff is a lot more difficult than I imagined.  I'm shakey and spent.  My kTm feels like a familiar old friend and I savor my little ride back to section one.  No one is there except a few folks taking their turn.  Karna and Justin are not here yet so I find some shade and take off my helmet.  The checker recognizes me as the girl who is sharing a bike with another rider.  I wait a while longer and wonder where Karna is, but I'm so wore out and hot that I dont' really care if she takes all day to show up, this shade is nice.  Justin rides up and informs me that Karna has already completed sections 1-4 and they were wondering if I got lost so he came looking.  I guess I took too long getting my water and taking "a little break" back at the truck.

Karna has been cleaning almost all of her checks!  We decide that she will finish sections 5 & 6, then start her third loop at the same time that I start my second.  Works for me.

By the Section 2, people are starting to recognize me as "The girl who rides a kTm, who is borrowing a bike with another competitor, who uses her clutch too much and revs the engine too much Trials Newb"  Well call a spade a  spade.  Nice people were giving me all kinds of advice about my little clutching problem.  Justin was trying to mind me the best he could, but after a while he was just trying to make sure I didn't kill myself.  He rode the Montessa out of one section I had a particularly nice crash and burn (I went OVER the small boulder I was supposed to go AROUND)

Two more crash and burns (Talk about "loss of momentum"!) and I called it a day.  I got through about one and a half loops and that was it.  Karna did splendidly and cleaned most of her checks.  Karna, you rock!

As wore out and stupid as I felt, I still had a great Triple Epiphany that day:  I am in dire need of cardio workouts, Trials is a lot harder than it looks, and I met a lot of really great people who I greatly admired for their skill and perseverance.  It was fun watching the folks on the expert line do their stuff. 

That night, we camped near a friend's cabin and enjoyed a BBQ feast with about 15 others.  It was a bit odd for me not to be in charge of the kitchen and cooking stuff, but in my sore and wore out state, I really didn't mind one bit.  Two Captain Morgan and Diet Cokes later and I was in a blissful state of peace after my tribulating day of trials. 

Sunday was the "main" trails event of The Tooth Fairy.  My plan was to ride my kTm around from section to section and cheer on Karna and Justin, who were entered in the day's event.  Justin was riding in the Sportsman Class and Karna in Novice.

Okay, here's how my spectating went:  I follow Justin and Karna to Section One; encounter nice fat log, case it and get stuck good;  dig nice hole with back tire.  Get rescued by Justin who really doesn't have time for this but is such a nice guy does it anyway.  Encounter steep single track uphill with rut and silty dirt.  Crash near bottom of hill.  Have to pull bike around by back tire and consider trying again.  By this time I am once again hot, tired, deflated, feeling stupid and loser-ish.  I figure I better just get back to the fire road and find a section that is easier to get to and wait to see Karna and Justin then.  Getting back over the log went about the same, but this time when I cased it, I turned off the engine, shut off the gas and HEAVED the bike by the back tire as far as  I could.  The bike was laying on its side on the other side of the log, mission accoplished.  I picked it up, rested a sec, then headed out.

What IS UP with all this technical stuff IN BETWEEN sections?  I even make a lousy spectator!!  I can't even get to the sections on my kTm!!!!!!!!!!!  The day was still fun, as the social butterfly in my stuffed down the feelings of inadequacy and loser-ism as I made friends with all the checkers at the sections along the fire road.  I met quite a few interesting people, including Dee, a 70'ish woman who snagged her current boyfriend while riding her quad in the nearby foothills. You go girl!

I made one more attempt to follow Karna and Justin to other sections.  I was well rested and hydrated by that time and I figured I would not encounter any more logs and silty uphill singletracks.  Surely, it would not be as difficult as it was this morning.

20 yards into our trek, I find myself upside down in a short, but chunky creek gully.  I wave Karna and Justin on.  I get my bike out of the gully and again I am exhausted.  I get back on the bike and proceed into a rock garden that kicks my butt even more.  I'm on the ground two more times and this time I decide to head back to safer territory.  I have to get back across that creek gully and try to do it right this time and partially succeed by getting the front wheel on the other side of the bank before I crash.  All I need to do now is pull my rear tire up and out and I'm golden.  Another Trials participant aids me in this last step (because I was blocking the trail???)  Anyway, that is IT for spectating.  I go back and hang out with Dee at friendly Station 5 and help her punch cards.  I meet some more riders and have a great afternoon.  I see Karna and Justin a couple more times and cheer them on.  They both do great in their class and Trophy at the end of the day.

Overall, a great weekend, I always have fun!  My thoughts on trials are tempered with the realization that I have a long way to go.  I will probably give it another try, but I'm going to work on it some more before I do.  I have a HUGE admiration for the folks who compete in Trials events, it is incredibly more demanding than I had originally thought.  My goodness, what I have learned this weekend.

Thanks to Karna and Justin for all the support and fun times!  You're the BEST ride buds ever!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Great report Natalie! :thumb: ...sorry to hear things were a little rough though. Trials bikes are, as you are now fully aware, a VERY different machine, compared to your KTM. It's unfortunate that you didn't get some time before the event to simply ride, unobserved.

It almost always surprises "seasoned" riders just how physical trial riding really is...those little "featherweight" bikes can really make you work ;)

The technical loop (trail) is not that unusual actually. Most I have been on (and that is a limited number) would be fairly difficult to complete on an enduro bike, but are actually quite easy on a trials bike..once you get used to them.

Sounds like you have the right attitude...don't give up and keep smiling. Next time you'll be more prepared :thumb:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Glad you had fun! You are not alone though, even though I've been messing around on my Montesa for almost 2 years it is still a workout to go seriously ride it for 4 hours. I really enjoy the play time on it but it's a totally different type of riding. I'm not suprised by the lack of knowing what a KTM is not the difficult "trails" between sections. As much as we like to think trials and offroad/mx bikes are "dirt bikes" it's two completly different relms. That is also very apparent in what is considered a trail :)

We'll have big fun at DW and I'll be your log resting pal!! :thumb:

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Great report, Nat!  Glad you had fun-- after all, in the end that's what it's all about, right?

You're braver than I am.  I've have a few hours riding our trials bike, but don't quite feel ready to try an event yet.  Our Beta has a left-side kickstart, and I prefer to have a rock or stump to stand on while starting it.  I'd probably be too worn out after one loop of kickstarting the bike, let alone riding! :confused:

Dave has done a couple trials events out here, and has had a blast.  He rides the Novice line now, but they also have a Rookie line-- easier than Novice, intended for those who are just getting started.  From what I hear, the lines for each class get a little harder as the year goes on.

I've spent a little bit of time riding in an open area (around cones, etc) and out in the woods.  It's very different riding the trials bike back in the woods-- traction is worse when the going gets a little greasy.  Other things are easier-- sharp turns and rocks. 

I also noticed that some of the connecting trail between sections gets quite tricky.  I end up walking around the loop, and that ends up being a workout in itself!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Thanks everyone!  Yeah, it was fun although there was the point when I decided to throw in the towel after I had been crashing in each section, I would have to say I was not having fun at that time ;)

Patman, I met Mandy and Adrien at the event, you know them, right?  Mandy was riding in the Sportsman class, she was doing great! 

Karna and I also met this great gal named Linda who rode in our class on the Saturday event.  She had only been on a trials bike 4 times EVER.  Not even a dirtbike of any sort before then.  She did awesome!  I tried to get her to try out my kTm but she thought it would be bad for her trials riding.  I heard a lot of folks say riding Trials makes you a better off-road rider, but riding a regular dirtbike can hurt your trials skills.

Now that the weekend is over and I'm not nearly as sore as I was I am really looking forward to the Trials de Dirtweek!!! :cool:

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Nat,

Great report! Keep at it, it does get easier. Trust your bike to lug down low with out stalling. The difficulty of the novice sections shouldn't be such that you have to do a lot of clutching for power.

I rode trials in the mid-late 70's and got back into it last year. I was shocked at how much better I am as an adult. I always rode novice in high school, now I'm riding the 2 line in vintage and intermediate in modern. (I am much better at the vintage). I recently did my first "fast" race, a vintage Cross Country up in Michigan a week ago. It was a blast, but very different. How does that kind of riding hurt my trials skills? I'm not sure I get it. :confused:

Thanks again for the great post, I love reading about others getting involved in trials!!

Tom

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Wow, I was re-reading my other post and reviewing the advice everyone was trying to tell me and this suggestion from TexKDX sticks out like a sore thumb now!!  I was convinced I was going to stall the engine if I went too slow, wish I would have paid more attention.

Tex Said:

"Biggest suggestion I can add to the above is ride these sections leaving the clutch alone once you are moving. There is no reason you can't "drive" around a novice/beginner section with no clutch use.

The sooner you focus on throttle control and leave the clutch alone the better!"

:o Now I just want to go back and try it again.  At least I'll get another shot at Dirtweek.

TVRider, maybe Nicole (Girlrider) can comment on why off-road technique can hinder Trials riding?  I'm not exactly sure myself.   What is "vintage style" scoring, BTW?  I thought I'd ask you this question since you rode back in the 70's as a kid.  They scored the Saturday event as per vintage rules, I did not know what that meant or how it differed from your description of the scoring in the other post.

Thanks! :thumb:

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I haven't done very many modern events and I'm no expert at the rules so someone correct me if I misspeak:

In modern trials you can stop with a foot down or on an obstacle and not receive a '5'. I believe you can also lean a wheel against a tree or rock and use it to maintain balance before going on and not receive a '5'.

In vintage trials, once you lose forward momentum and have a foot down, you're done, that's a '5'. You also cannot cross you own line or go backwards or again, '5'.

For instance, at a modern event in June a kid riding the Sportsman class (way better than me!) jumped up on a table top, in a man-made section, that was may be four feet high. He got stuck on his skid plate half way up and was standing on the table top with the rear wheel spinning against the edge. I was thinking "that's a 5", but several others watching encouraged him to get his arms under the bars and muscle the bike up on the table top. He did after about one full minute or more, completed the rest of the section and received a '3'. That's the biggest scoring difference that I have seen.

I hope that helps, again, if I got it wrong someone correct me.

Tom

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Ooooooh great write up Nanu! Twice the punishment for one entry fee :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
AMA 2003 Trials rules. Section 6 covers Faults & Failures: CLICK

Nat I don't "know" the Lewis' but have talked with them on the phone and email quite a bit.

There is not doubt in my mind that riding an off road bike hampers your trial skills. I am living proof of that! I have so many bad habits from off road that mess up my trial riding but I can also say that riding my Monty has improved my off road skills. I would say it all comes down to the saying "In order to go fast your must first learn to go slow." I really believe it is because if you learn how to ride slow you improve your control over the bike with skill and you can't rely on momentum to fix your mistakes. Ray Peters teachs both trial skills as well as off road skills classes. A buddy of mine took his off road class an was blown away how stupid fast Ray was in both a HS & MX environment. The really sad part was that he never even looked like he was working at it. Anybody that has been to one of his classes knows that class is over when the last rider gives up.

Nat, Tex has some excellent skills advice to pass on. He was fortunate enough to spend A LOT of time with one of the greatest trial skills teachers and humans I've ever known and he absorbed a ton of the information that was passed to him. He also is a very good teacher himself and has helped me tremendously. As a matter of fact I just got a message on my answering machine from him tonight and will see if I can get him to come to DW so you guys can see how it's really supposed to be done because I am the how NOT to example :)

Bultaco206

Aug 19, 2003
I heard a lot of folks say riding Trials makes you a better off-road rider, but riding a regular dirtbike can hurt your trials skills.

Uh, I have some land, and a bridge for sale...

Wrong! Trials skills will make you a better all-around off-road rider, period. I use things on the MX track and in the woods on a 'regular dirt bike' that I learned on a trials bike. The biggest thing being weight distribution and braking techniques. If you want to be a better rider, attend a trials school. I guarantee it will help you no matter what discipline you ride in.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Good Job Natalie for trying. So glad to see an enduro rider try it because then they do learn just how hard it can be. Standing actually is not what made you tired. If there was enough alcohol at a camp fire a person could stand all day and never get tired but you get on a trials bike and think it makes you tired. Not really it is just that you were not comfortable on the bike in general so you tensed up and that made you tired. Even when I rode the Scottish Six day and we had a 116 miles that day it really was not that bad. Of course you do sit on the roads some. Were you signed up in the easiest class? In Colorado in the easiest class you would basically ride a straight light with a slight turn. Your line sounded hard for a first time rider.

As for enduro bikes hurting a trials rider. It really does not. But if all you do is ride enduro and think you can come ride trials then you are wrong. Taking up trials definitely made me a better enduro rider but when I decided to compete nationally I sold my enduro bike mostly so that I would spend all my time on a trials bike because I had a lot to learn and a lot of catching up to do. Enduro riders don't really use the clutch (Except on a hill they are stuck on) and they have very little throttle control. These 2 things are very important in trials. Also in enduro you take a turn tight, gas it and go. In trials if you cut a corner so much as 1" then you might not make the turn. Last year my balance sucked and I had no throttle control. To fix this I did 2 things which have allowed me to become one of the top National female riders. 1.) All winter all I did was balance in the garage with the motor turned off and 2.) Got a 200 so there was not a much power. The bike has more then enough for me. Balance is the key. Try another one! And tell Karna Great JOB!

Nicole

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I'm sorry that you didn't have such a wonderful day at your first trial. It really does sound like you were in the wrong class - generally the idea is to ENCOURAGE first time riders rather than beat you up and turn you off the sport.

The thing to remember is that you now have gained some knowledge and experience by having a go at it. Also good on you for lasting as long as you did, a lot of people would have invented an excuse to give up, especially if they were getting beaten up. I know what its like as I am one of the least skilled riders in the lowest class at our National Championships (I may even have got last place several times ;) ). Because of this and my general level of fitness I normally have problems walking properly for a couple of days after a tough trial - life is meant to be an adventure isn't it???

If you decide to have another try at a trial some time in the future, then you will know a bit better what to expect. I think that you will need to practice more on a trials bike before your next attempt, even if to just get rid of the 'no seat' problem, and make the technical stuff between the sections easier to ride.

Thanks for the report anyway and good luck for next time :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Wayne we MUST be related! Identical twins even!!!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Its funny how a few days of reflection changes everything.  I'm no longer sore and stiff and my bruised ego is the only thing remaining.  The day of the trials I was convinced that "trials were not for me" but now I just want to try that course all over again.  I know I could do a better job with the hindsight I now have.  I'm also looking around for a used trials bike for kicks.  I really want to work on the points of advice surrounding the clutch and  ride the bike practicing the slow, controlled circles Nicole taught me, and a little throttle work to deal with inclines and small hills.  I need to just calm down a little too, I make a whole lotta mistakes when I get amped up and wore down at the same time.

I, too, was also surprised by the large amounts of rock thrown in some of the sections.  Karna's dad (30+ year trials vet) told me that this course was one of the tougher courses for the area, but a lot of it was just my lack of skill.  I did not see anyone having as much trouble as me and I think I was the only one who "DNF". :(   I still remember the sweet faced 10 year old kid who rode up behind me in line for one of the sections.  He said to me: "You're doing GREAT!!!!  Keep trying!!!!".  I had to smile back and laugh a little but his little voice of encouragement was just what I needed :confused: 

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
That is what is great about trials everyone wants to see everyone succeed and do better, my first trial one of the pros in the masters class came up to me and complimented my effort even though i only cleaned one loop in the novice class. The trials atmoshpere is so much different than mx or other forms of motorcycle competion. its all about having a good time and drinking some beer afterwards.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
No I don't think we're identical twins Patman - you are much taller than me :confused:

A case in point was the trial I went to yesterday. My younger brother bought an old Gas Gas trials bike a couple of months ago, and this was his fourth or fifth trial. He did really well yesterday (32 points for 40 sections) and is progressing well, mainly because he is getting better at remembering where he has to go in each section, and because his confidence is improving.

It makes a huge difference to your performance and the amount of fun that you can have at an event if you are feeling confident and relaxed, which kind of brings up the point that trials can sometimes be more about concentration and your mental attitude than bike skills. If you take the attitude of 'I'm here to have fun' rather than 'I'm here to win' sometimes you end up having more fun, and riding the bike a lot better as well. Its something that I have to work on before the National Champs, because I have generally let my nerves dictate my placing (there usually a huge number of butterflies before I've even got the bike started!). I know that I now have enough bike skills to do reasonably well at the event, its just getting my attitude up to speed.

So, Getmetoca if you do go to another event then it might help if you try and relax a bit more about goals such as finishing or winning, or worring about what you look like to other people and just try and have as much fun as you can. Most people have to start from somewhere, and usually theres no fairy godmother around to wave a magic wand and presto suddenly you are a champ class rider, so everyone else has been a little bit awkward and a little bit wobbly at some stage, and they will go through this for a few events each time that they move up a grade. One of my friends had his first trial yesterday in the 'B' grade, and was a pack of nerves for the first loop. Once he realised that he had the bike skills to ride the event pretty well, then he started to really enjoy himself and can be proud of his result. Forget about what anyone else thinks and just concentrate on enjoying yourself.

Last edited:

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Great and entertaining write-up Natale.

I don't have a trials bike yet--maybe soon--but it seems to me that just because a trials bike is so much lighter than the normal off road bike, that that alone has to make technical, slow riding easier. Add to that that the bike is designed to do just that. (This all sounds so good on paper). Unless of course the traction of a trials tire is so much less than the conventional knobbie tire can provide.....?

Anyway, I got to get out and just do it. I love light bikes, and I love riding slow. --------------goosebumps

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
Yes, trials bikes are easier to ride in slow, technical sections. Like you said, that's what they're built for. It does take some time to get used to them, though, they are so different from other dirt bikes. As far as traction goes, trials tires are better than knobbies in some places but not so good in others. Overall, they they do a very good job.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Its just the adjustment to the weird riding position that seems to cause the most problems. Most people are used to being able to sit down, which seems a bit strange for a while when you don't have the comfortable sitting option. The other thing is that you really need to use your legs a lot more to try and soak up big hits because of the limited suspension travel. And the last habit to try and overcome is gripping the bike with your knees - do this with a trials bike and you won't get much traction.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by geremacheks
of course the traction of a trials tire is so much less than the conventional knobbie tire can provide.....?

Actually trials tires provide tremendous traction on a wide variety of surfaces. In fact I know of several woods guys who run them on their enduro bikes for just that reason. I hate riding behind someone running them on an enduro bike though...they really pick up rocks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by wayneg
And the last habit to try and overcome is gripping the bike with your knees - do this with a trials bike and you won't get much traction.
This one about killed me!
"Pat what are you trying to hold with your knees?"
"Pat you need to spread your legs like a $2 (hooker) not a knock kneed school girl!"

Tough habit to break.

MCMAN56

Sep 5, 2000
Girlrider......can you give some details on your like of the 200? Is it a Gas Gas? Does it rev more slowly than the 280s? Are you super light so power does not matter? I'm riding a GG270 and am thinking about a newer bike. The pro modesl are light but I don't like the way they rev so quickly.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
MCMAN56 - You may be able to calm things down a little bit on your 270 by retarding the timing a few degrees. This will make the bike easier to start with less kickstart effort, and tone down the bottom end power and make it less snappy. Go to the Gas Gas USA web site and look through the techincal Guru columns or post this question yourself asking how to do it.

I have a 200cc Beta Rev3 which I really like, the main reason being that it has very soft bottom end power. Because Trials is all about control, having a more controllable bike definitely helps, especially if you aren't too good at throttle control. Most of the trials in my area are usually wet and slippery, which probably makes throttle control a more important issue than the sort of dry and rocky terrain that you guys would normally get to ride.

I did briefly ride a 2000 GasGas 160cc bike which belongs to Dave Trustrum, and found that it had even less and softer power than my Beta, and was quite a nice bike to ride. The amount of power on offer was perfectly useable for a clubman or sportsman class rider, without being boring.

I've also had a few 'tests' on a 2003 Beta 250cc Rev3, and think that the power on these bikes is very soft and smooth at the bottom end (I don't use the top end very much at all!!). This will be my next bike because the whole package seems to fit in nicely with my poor skills, and the yellow colour fits in nicely with my nature, because of the HUGE yellow streak which seems to appear whenever theres a really steep downhill in a section. (Colour co-ordinated - now thats a first!).

Top Bottom